7/11/2011 - Rhode River Perchin Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/11/2011 - Rhode River Perchin Report

Well i made it out to the Rhode river around 6:00pm on Monday. This was my first trip back to this location this year and i had a new giblet i created for the perch to munch on.

The wind was blowing 10 to 15 knots out of the SW which forced me to skip the 50 or so piers that i usually fish. I made my way back up into a protected cove and stared working the structure.

Fishing was slow. Very slow. I fished for around 2 hrs with only three fish to show for my effort. One at 8" and to fatties at 11" all caught on a spinner with a 2" grub. My new perch secret weapon only got one lite hit. I'm not giving up on it yet though. I think the weather front moving in that day had the fish feeling funny.

This was the first true test of my new VHF radio. I had it on the weather scan off and on the whole time. I setup the weather alert earlier in the week and boy did it tip me off this trip. When it started screeching and warning all boaters on the bay within the vicinity of my area to haul a@s to the nearest safe harbor i did not think twice about taking that advice.

As soon as i got everything buttoned up and on the road all H@ll broke loose. Its been a while since i had seen lightning like that. The wind gusts were pushing my car sideways on a bridge at one point.

And to think i was planning on staying out fishing until 10:00pm that night.

Pinch thanks for peaking my interest in that radio. I owe you a beer. I was 1 mile from the launch when i heard the warning. If i didn't have the radio i would have been knocking on some strangers door along the water looking for shelter.

On a positive note the live well lasted the full 3 hrs and was still pumping water strong at the end of the trip. That makes it close to 8 full hours pumping on a single charge. If id guess it still has quite a few more hours left. I think this setup will last for a weekend without an issue.

Video Recap.
    Rhode River - Recap

thats what im talking about, VHF for the win.

just watched the video, good thing out got outta dodge
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Nothing like perchin with ultralight tackle!

Thanks for the video mmanolis2001..

GB

Comment

thanks for the video!
        sigpic

Comment

Cool vid. My weather radio has saved my butt on a few occasions, especially when I didn't have a clear view of the horizon.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
            Cool vid. My weather radio has saved my butt on a few occasions, especially when I didn't have a clear view of the horizon.
            The sky was clear the whole evening and there was no sign of bad weather coming. I checked the weather before i left at 4:00pm and all looked good. I would have been in trouble by the time i noticed the change in weather. It came on really fast

That radio will not leave my side on any future trip. Just thinking about a mile paddle in 40 Knot gusts with driving rain and lightning sealed the deal on that.

Comment

Rhode River was productive for Croaker last time I went there, but that was early June. The Croaker are spread out now, haven't had much luck last time I tried for them. South River by comparison hasn't been productive at all. As for storms, I always check weather and marine forecasts ahead of time. If there's more than a 30% chance of storms I usually don't go.
              2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by frettr00 View Post
                If there's more than a 30% chance of storms I usually don't go.
                Ooof. That would mean never fishing during the summer here. I got pretty good at guessing the ETA of storms based on their movement on the radar before I went. However, there was one time when I was surprised by a storm that I made a normally 35min trip back in under 20min (with the help of the current, fortunately) and collapsed in a heap in my truck as a major squall line came through. The weather radio cuts down on that kind of foolishness.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

great video, bring that ultra light over to Eastern bay and have fun with some larger wp and hard heads.

i think im going to go to the mouth of the choptank (bottom of tilghman isl) on sat and crab and do some perching around possum point on sunday, alot of docks to fish there.

afternoons and evenings have been rough this year, im glad thats siesta time for me

Comment

Working...
                  X