No announcement yet.

May 14 Meet and Greet official sign up thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok looks like I'm good to go for the 14th since Im not going to JBay now. Im planning to launch at the Inlet since I trailer my Hobie PA. Im planning on fishing a bit on Friday as well and am considering camping at the park. Noticed the weather is gonna be bad on Saturday so Im in for Sunday if that is an ulternative option. What time are we meeting for lunch at DPS??
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I am thinking 2pm at Delaware paddlesports for lunch.
      We are still 8 days out for the weather forecast, those guys can't get today right.
      We will keep an eye on the weather and make the call if necessary on Thursday evening
      The Nascar race is Sunday in Dover that means traffic will be impossible on Sunday. That's not something I want to deal with.
      If I fish Sunday I will be driving home just after the race starts.

Comment

So it looks like the forecast has changed for the better, which is great news. If I do attend lunch, could I bring a plus 1 (she won't be fishing)? If so, how much $ should I bring to cover her additional spot?

Comment

Two more in here.Me and the wife are coming and both in for fishing and lunch. Looks like it will be the inlet launch for me from what I am seeing of the talk about the trudge at the the park.
          BTW what time are we starting? I may have missed it but just browsed the thread and didn't see any mention of it.

Comment

7am launch

7am launch at either site is what I was tracking.
            Ride 135 Green
            Big Tuna Orange
            12ft Bote HD
            Outback Blue with Orange Deck

Comment

Good News
              The Large Blue are here and some flounder have been caught this week.
              To catch the blues paddle out to the end of the pier turn right or left and troll something that has some flash or vibration.
              The Weather forecast is improving for Saturday too,

Comment

Originally posted by babiak View Post
                7am launch at either site is what I was tracking.
                Thanks.

Comment

Couple questions that I hope I can get some guidance on.

Launching at the Inlet would any particular species be a better target versus launching from the park beach? I still have a good likelihood of running into blues striper and flounder if I don't paddle all the way down to the cape?

Anybody know what the water temp is? Debating what to wear and some of the slightly cool mornings here have me wondering if it is still time for the waders. Don't particularly want to wear them but cool water and slightly cool temps can sometimes put a chill in you especially on a wet kayak like mine.

Comment

I checked today and the water temp is 56 deg. Looks like the air temp will get to about 70, but I'm guessing (never having been there) that its going to be a nippy 50 or so at launch time. Wind at about 7 mph, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Can't help you with the best launch part of the question. I'm waiting for someone else to chime in.
                    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Originally posted by 22Tango View Post
                      I checked today and the water temp is 56 deg. Looks like the air temp will get to about 70, but I'm guessing (never having been there) that its going to be a nippy 50 or so at launch time. Wind at about 7 mph, so that shouldn't be too bad.

Can't help you with the best launch part of the question. I'm waiting for someone else to chime in.
                      Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going with the waders,don't want to get wet if I can help it. I definitely launching at the Inlet and am wondering if up at that end I'd be better targeting a particular fish. It's a little bit of a paddle down to the cape and if I can catch fish at the inlet I'll be happy but would like to know if I'd be wasting my time putting to much effort into a species I'm not likely to catch.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                        Couple questions that I hope I can get some guidance on.

Launching at the Inlet would any particular species be a better target versus launching from the park beach? I still have a good likelihood of running into blues striper and flounder if I don't paddle all the way down to the cape?

Anybody know what the water temp is? Debating what to wear and some of the slightly cool mornings here have me wondering if it is still time for the waders. Don't particularly want to wear them but cool water and slightly cool temps can sometimes put a chill in you especially on a wet kayak like mine.
                        launching from the inlet target flounder
                        launching from the pier target blues and striper, paddle out to the end of the pier and turn right or left, the Bluefish were on the edge of the flats along the beach at the pier turn around before you get to the rip at the point

Comment

Ok, here's another question.
                          Since we will be launching from different points, what channel are we monitoring on our VHFs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by baitball; 05-11-2016, 06:39 AM.
                          -manny

Hobie Outback
                          Wilderness Systems 130T
                          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I would NOT recommend trying to make the paddle from the ramp at RI all the way to CHSP. If you launch at RI I would say jig gulp in the canal or go through the inlet and fish tight to lewes beach for blue/flounder action. Beware of boat traffic and the sandbar in the inlet.

The CHSP launch definitely can suck but only if you 1.) don't have beach wheels, 2.) in the absence of beach wheels don't have a friend to help you carry your yak to the water or 3.) have a blowout low tide at launch time with some combination of 1 and 2. I'm sure it was mentioned before but there's also a $10 pass required to park in CHSP for the day. If you launch at CHSP you can troll for blues, jig for flounder or fish the inner or outer wall for tog (C&R only at this point I think).

Both CHSP and RI are great places to fish if conditions are right. I will be down that way Thurs/Fri fishing in the DE Bay but if the weather holds for Saturday I will probably end up fishing the canal for flounder so maybe I'll see some of you out there.
                            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                              I would NOT recommend trying to make the paddle from the ramp at RI all the way to CHSP. If you launch at RI I would say jig gulp in the canal or go through the inlet and fish tight to lewes beach for blue/flounder action. Beware of boat traffic and the sandbar in the inlet.

The CHSP launch definitely can suck but only if you 1.) don't have beach wheels, 2.) in the absence of beach wheels don't have a friend to help you carry your yak to the water or 3.) have a blowout low tide at launch time with some combination of 1 and 2. I'm sure it was mentioned before but there's also a $10 pass required to park in CHSP for the day. If you launch at CHSP you can troll for blues, jig for flounder or fish the inner or outer wall for tog (C&R only at this point I think).

Both CHSP and RI are great places to fish if conditions are right. I will be down that way Thurs/Fri fishing in the DE Bay but if the weather holds for Saturday I will probably end up fishing the canal for flounder so maybe I'll see some of you out there.
                              You mentioned "beach wheels," and I'm not sure if that's a specific thing. I carry my trident 13 with a Malone nomad cart. It has 10 inch tall tires, and I have never had a problem with terrain, but I've also never been to a "beach." I read reviews from where I purchased it, and several comments say that the cart does fine in the sand. So I'm wondering if CHSP is especially tough or deep sand, or are you just distinguishing a beach cart from some of the smaller scupper carts I have seen. Thanks.
                              Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
                              Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

I will be launching at CHSP, so I will be the first to offer my services in helping someone carry their kayak to the water (if they don't have a cart), as long as they do the same for me. Everybody wins, or loses, depending on perspective. I dragged my kayak down the beach earlier this year, it's not too bad. The path, if I'm looking at the right one on google maps, looks to be about 200-300 feet long, not a short drag, but not ungodly long either. Then again, my perception weighs around 60 pounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X