May 14 Meet and Greet official sign up thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 14 Meet and Greet official sign up thread

Looks like I am hosting the Lewes Delaware M & G. on 5/14.

I will do some research over the weekend and post more details sometime late Sunday or Monday. Most likely the official launch site will be at the Boat ramp at the North end of Pilottown road in Lewes with lunch following at Delaware Paddlesports. I picked the boat ramp since it is in a protected area and has no user fee. I know some of you would like to launch at Cape Henolpen State park and that will be fine. Remember you will need good beach wheels. That is a long drag over very soft sand. Also there is a user fee.

Everyone will need a Delaware fishing license. You can get one online

The fee for an annual resident fishing license remains $8.50. The non-resident fee is $20 per year, while the seven-day tourist license is $12.50. Each of these license options entitles the holder to fish in any of Delaware's waters, as well crabbing and clamming. Licenses are good for the calendar year.

We will need a count on how many for lunch.

Thanks

The most important thing to know about Lewes DE is that the cops have nothing to do but give out speeding tickets. Make sure you follow the posted speeds.
    Last edited by plastic boat; 04-15-2016, 11:04 PM.

i'm in! hopefully the flounder bite will be hot by next month! looking forward to it
    Michael
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
    Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Thanks Jeff for taking over this May Meet and Greet. We did not have anyone to volunteer to get the gang together for May. I just hope the weather holds out. Since I have been sick since last year, there has been no kayak fishing for me, so now that I am on the upswing, I cannot wait to make this Delaware trip. Count me in for fishing and lunch.

Delaware Paddle Sports heard of our Meet and Greet for May 2016 and offered to provide lunch at their store at no charge to the Meet and Greet participants. Their store has a backyard and fire pit. Remember to bring your own camping chair. Food and drinks will be provided. So this will be an interesting Meet and Greet... you can choose to launch between two locations 10 minutes or less apart, free lunch at Delaware Paddle Sports, and you can get to shop in their store.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm in. Sign me up for lunch at Delaware Paddlesports.

I'll be camping/sharing an RV site at Cape Henlopen Park, so will most likely not launch from the Pilottown boat ramp.

What time is lunch and how much time will we need to drive from the park to Delaware Paddlesports?
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I will be in Chincoteague that week fishing and will be there for both.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Count me in for both Jeff.
            2012 hobie outback
            2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Looks like everyone on the list is a peddler. Any words on whether this a good trip for a paddler?
              Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
              Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

This trip is fine for paddler. I use to fish it when I had a paddle yak. During the tides if you fish the Roosevelt Inlet they can get pretty strong and can give your arms a workout so stay close to the Shoreline to paddle back to the ramp. Cape Henlopen you just have to drag your kayak across the sand and the tides aren't that much of an issue.

Comment

I am a paddler, and I will be making the trip. Any idea on lunch time/location? I would like to join for that too, but if the fishings hot, or it's awful and I'm just stubborn, I might be on the water until 130 or later.

Comment

I'm in for both.
                    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Nevermind I saw the bit about the location, which is awesome. But a time would be good, at least to plan around. And where would be the recommended launch spot for a paddle sit-in kayak? When it gets closer to the date I'm going to be asking a lot more questions about what bait and/or lures to bring and all that, I apologize ahead of time.

Comment

I paddled the Rosevelt inlet, the canal, and Cape Henlopen last year with out a problem. This year I will peddle. Even though it is a long haul, I personally like Cape Henlopen.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                          Nevermind I saw the bit about the location, which is awesome. But a time would be good, at least to plan around. And where would be the recommended launch spot for a paddle sit-in kayak? When it gets closer to the date I'm going to be asking a lot more questions about what bait and/or lures to bring and all that, I apologize ahead of time.
                          I need to figure parking because all the spots but 5 are marked vehicles with trailers only. I will be giving DNR a call just to make sure where we should park.

I was thinking the official launch time would be 7am but you are welcome to arrive earlier and start fishing

We are still open for the time for lunch. Usually at the meet and greet lunch has been 12 and 1pm so we can coordinate with a restaurant , Since lunch is at Delaware Paddlesports we could go with that or make it later. When it's closer to time for the meet and greet we can decide on a lunch time.

WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET.
                          we are fishing at the south end (MOUTH)of the Delaware bay stuff can go bad here quickly

I don't fish with bait very often but I am sure one of the guys that do will post something

Flounder---- I use a bucktail or jig head and gulp I use the lightest bucktail or jig head I can reach bottom with. I like to fish almost straight down under my kayak not out at an angle. This mean 1/2 to 2 oz heads depending on depth and current. As for the gulps I prefer 3 and 4 inch in paddle or twister tails. As far as color I use White, Chartreuse, Black, and pink. On my bucktails I trim out some of the hair and cut the hair right behind the hook. I like mine skinny and short. The more hair and the fluffier it is the bigger heaver bucktail you will need. They can be found anywhere but I like to stay around the inside of the inlet or around the outer end of the of the CHSP fishing pier and over buy the ferry wall. One of my favorite spots is the private pier between the ferry and the CHSP pier

Bluefish --- Spoons, gotcha plugs and rattle traps. but they aren't usually picky. They will hit anything moving when they are there. I use something they will not tear to pieces when I find them. Chrome spoons with a 12" steel leader, I use the black leaders, if you use the silver leaders the blues will hit the snaps and cut you off.

Striper --- They can be just about anywhere, it seams that like anywhere there is a current break, the inside or out side of the inlet is a good place to start. I use bass assassins, gulps or just about any soft plastics on a lead head or bucktail. Also spoons and plugs will work.

Tog -- I prefer to fish the outsides of the rock piles lining the inlet this way you don't need to deal with the boat wakes. I use sand flees or small crabs on a top and bottom rig. Tog can be found at the inner and outer walls but that is a log paddle from the inlet but is reachable from the CHSP. The current out by the outer wall and point can get extremely fast and dangerous. It is somewhere to avoid unless you are a very very experienced kayaker and then only at the right tides an moon phase.

Croaker and Spot ---Last year they were within 100 yards of the beach. I use night crawlers or fish bites. I would say blood worms but they are to expensive to feed to croaker and the night crawlers work just as well. I use a top and bottom rig.

Sharks, Yes there are sharks here. Sand Tiger breed in Delaware Bay at this time of year. The rules on sharks are so complicated you will need a biologist and Lawyer figure them out. It is no fun when an 10' Sand tiger wants your flounder hanging over the side your kayak. Been there done that in my boat at the south end of the outer wall. Just remember that when hanging your catch over the side. Bring something to store your catch. I use a cooler.
                          Last edited by plastic boat; 04-19-2016, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                            I launched my peddle kayak at both the Roosevelt Inlet and Cape Henlopen. The concrete boat ramps are nice and easy at the Inlet to launch. The beach at Henlopen is the only pain at this location. I was exhausted last year after dragging my kayak from the water at low tide.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. So is the plan to divide and conquer... a group of us go out to find the bluefish if they are rumored to be around, and a group sticks close to the inlet walls or piers for the flounder, spot, croaker, and tog? And then we just maintain radio contact and when someone finds the fish, game on? Not sure where I would like to fish first, but I certainly could use the company wherever I end up going, so I might just tag along with a group if that's ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X