Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaffordable Kayak haul options? / New Member Introduction

Hello All,

Glad to be here and to be a new Kayak Fisherman! I have been completely obsessed with Kayak fishing, so obsessed that I went ahead and purchased a solid angler kayak (Striker 11.5 Angler) without even being able to transport the thing! I know, crazy right? Anyway, in a perfect world I would already have my Jeep and just throw the thing on top with some racks. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions for rooftop racks that I can possibly put on top of my car? Preferably, removable rooftop racks?

Thanks in advance!
    -TimH

Perception Striker

I have a jeep also and I use pool noddles and a ratchet strap

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

^^ yea I don't plan on getting mine until the later parts of the year... But I assume that set up is working for you. Sounds nice and affordable just how I like it lol
      -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

What jeep

Comment

I have a patriot I just lay the noodles down the strap the yak

Comment

Perception Striker 11.5 Angler

Does anyone else have this kayak? Or know anyone that does? I would love to get any input on it, good or bad... It's my first kayak and will be my first time ever kayaking when I get it. I chose this particular one because it is the most affordable sit on top/stand and fish kayak and i have seen pictures and heard people standing and fishing comfortably from this thing.
            -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

I have a eagle talon kayak and love it

Comment

Originally posted by Toby B View Post
                What jeep
                I want the 4 door wrangler, dream vehicle.
                -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

I have a eagle talon kayak and love it
                  Yea I can't wait to get out there, may drag this thing down the road to the nearest river system if I have to lol
                  -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

When I first got into kayak fishing I got a inflatable kayak rack. They can be ordered from Austin Kayak. I will add a link to order, also if you sign up for there email news letter they will give you 15% off your order. I think it will end up around the mid 70s cost wise. They are great for 1 kayak. I still use mine from time to time when its just me going out.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...Roof-Rack.html

As far as the kayak I hear its really stable for sight casting and standing. But due to its short length and tri hull design it tends to "wonder". I wont knock the kayak, as everyone has its place. Your first kayak wont be your last. With time you will get a feel for how you like to fish (sight cast, troll, casting at banks ie run and gun) and that will narrow down later down the road what kayak you may want to upgrade to. Dont worry to much about this now. You have the yak just get out there and enjoy it! The more time on the water the more fun you will have. Just know both you and your kayaks limitations. The striker will make a GREAT small lake, river, creek, shallow bay/ protected water boat. Can you take it out in the open water near the bay bridge? Sure....but it wont be recommended. That style of fishing is more suited for 14+ foot kayaks. Tight lines! Enjoy the kayak!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
                    Tan-Tarpon 140
                    Lime-Pelican Matrix
                    Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

I use a pool noodle inexpensive way to get on the water

Comment

Thank you so much for this, the price point is perfect and this looks like a really good product! Appreciate your comments on the Striker. I got it to stick to ponds and maybe a few reservoirs, but I really want to get out to like the Severn River after seeing a lot of videos on that. So yea, down the line I may need to switch to something longer and narrower, or maybe I'll just have 2! Can't go wrong with that lol. See ya!
                        Last edited by TimHVids; 04-14-2016, 06:55 PM.
                        -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

I use a pool noodle inexpensive way to get on the water

A way for a kayak rack and a cheap way to hull the kayak

Comment

Perception makes some good boats. I've got the Sound 12.5 and its a sit-in, and I love it. Pretty stable, relatively narrow enough to be very fast under paddle though. Eventually I will probably get an outback in a year or so, but this one has been fine on the Bay and in the tidal Potomac, as well as Piney Run Reservoir.

Comment

Hi, I use foam blocks that I purchased from REI for $10 on clearance. I think they are around $30 now... I have done this for a canoe as well and used them to transport on a Civic and Corolla 150 or 200 times with no issue. I ratchet strap everything down with the doors open with 2 straps. I add 1 more if going over the bay bridge for good luck. See below:

IMG_0732.jpgIMG_0733.jpgIMG_0734.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X