Lure depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lure depth

Anyone know approximate trolling depth of some popular lures. Obviously the amount of line you have out plays a big role and speed but I have no idea how deep a tsunami swim shad runs or a sinking diawa sp minnow. Best way would be to watch my depth finder and feel when I bump bottom but if anyone knows I'd like to hear.

There is a book on this ; kind of expensive though. I use an app called precision trolling. Depending on lure it will tell you. You have to buy each type though.
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

The running depth of a lure depends on many factors including:

- weight of lure
      - length of line
      - speed of vessel (if trolling) or retrieve (if casting)
      - shape of the lure, including features like an angled bill in the front or spinner blades
      - thickness and buoyancy of the line (mono vs. braid)
      - the angle between the rod tip and the water

I often troll in relatively shallow water and do need to pay attention to the lure depth in order to keep from hitting the bottom. If I am trolling along in 7' depth and come up on a 3.5' shoal, I can turn away or try one of these measures (I have used all three at different times):

- pedal or paddle faster until I am out of the shallows
      - swap out the current lure for a lighter one
      - raise the rod tip higher to change the angle between rod tip and lure. I have even gone so far as to take a rod out of the rod holder and lift it above my head until I am out of the shallows.

When casting for pickerel in the winter, I often fish in 1' to 3' depth. If I find I am hitting bottom (I can tell by seeing the lure covered with slime) I can follow similar practices:
      - reel faster
      - raise the rod tip
      - change to a lighter lure or a lure with more resistance (e.g. a spinner) that runs higher in the water column.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        The running depth of a lure depends on many factors including:

- weight of lure
        - length of line
        - speed of vessel (if trolling) or retrieve (if casting)
        - shape of the lure, including features like an angled bill in the front or spinner blades
        - thickness and buoyancy of the line (mono vs. braid)
        - the angle between the rod tip and the water

I often troll in relatively shallow water and do need to pay attention to the lure depth in order to keep from hitting the bottom. If I am trolling along in 7' depth and come up on a 3.5' shoal, I can turn away or try one of these measures (I have used all three at different times):

- pedal or paddle faster until I am out of the shallows
        - swap out the current lure for a lighter one
        - raise the rod tip higher to change the angle between rod tip and lure. I have even gone so far as to take a rod out of the rod holder and lift it above my head until I am out of the shallows.

When casting for pickerel in the winter, I often fish in 1' to 3' depth. If I find I am hitting bottom (I can tell by seeing the lure covered with slime) I can follow similar practices:
        - reel faster
        - raise the rod tip
        - change to a lighter lure or a lure with more resistance (e.g. a spinner) that runs higher in the water column.
        Couldnt have said it better
        Native Watercraft Pro Staff
        2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
        33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
        2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Working...
        X