Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fleming Park, Sunday Afternoon, April 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleming Park, Sunday Afternoon, April 10?

Has anyone ever launched from Fleming Park in Dundalk? Does it have a launch?

The park is just north of the 695 bridge on the east side of the Patapsco. I've fished these waters two or three times before with other members of this forum, but we have launched further east up Bear Creek.

I'm bringing along a buddy on Sunday afternoon but his boat is paddle and not pedal-powered. I'm trying to find a good launch point near the bridge to save him from a long paddle.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

...and yes, I checked the forecast. The weather guessers say it will be windy in the morning, but the wind should calm down in the afternoon - I'm hoping they are right, fingers crossed.

Thanks!

P.S. Of course, if anyone is going to be in the area Sunday afternoon, PM me.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

I've launched from Merritt Point Park, I think I remember seeing one at Fleming Park when I paddled by on my way to the bridge. I know for a fact Merritt Point Park has a decent ramp.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

I don't think you can launch at Fleming, but you can launch at peach orchard their is a beach and parking area right behind the basketball courts off of bullneck road.

However, you may have a tough time finding much to bite in that area right now...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the gouge Ryan and Justin. I'll readjust and check out Peach Orchard or Merritt Point Park.
        Ryan, you say the bite around the 695 bridge is tough right now, where would you recommend going instead?
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Manny - I may head out send me a text.

Comment

Launching at Armistead puts you in right at the Key Bridge FYI. I'm going to try and get out after being blown out the past few weekends. I'll keep an eye out for you guys.

Comment

Bimmer,

Wouldn't it be easier to put in at Peach Orchard or Merritt (on the east side) to be closer to some of the shallower water in Bear Creek, or are you thinking the fish are in the deeper, main channel of the river?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Honestly between the weather, work, and vacation I haven't made it out in over a month. Last time out the catching was tough, but the ones I did manage were still deep. I'm just hope to get the boat wet again.

Comment

Ok, gotcha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  -manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Well, it was a big, fat, smelly skunk on Sunday.

I wish I had better news to report, but unfortunately, the fish (if they were there) did not want to cooperate. I tried various lure combinations, various depths, and various locations but to no avail. I'm hoping for better luck and warmer weather this coming weekend .

On the positive side, I marked LOTS of bait. I even got a glimmer on the FF of the classic baitball suspended 6-10ft below the surface with a sizeable fish arc or two immediately below it. To my frustration, no amount of prodding on my part enticed these fish to bite. Water temps were a steady 49-50deg even with the cold wind we had yesterday.

One last note: you can launch from Fleming Park, but there is no beach and no ramp. The shoreline is marked by some concrete rubble so negotiating it with your boat requires a two-person effort, but once past the rubble with the boat in the water, you are a short 0.3mi paddle to the main boat channel and about 1.0mile from the docks/piers on the south side of Bear Creek.
                    -manny

Hobie Outback
                    Wilderness Systems 130T
                    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I got skunked as well, but crytotek (I think that's his member name) did manage to get 4, all between 12-20" I believe. We launched out of ft Armistead, and it was my first time trolling off my kayak, so I just considered myself lucky I didn't lose any major gear and didn't get hurt. We did mark A TON of fish though, conceivably every dropoff we found, and fish of many sizes too. I think the recent cold snap just caused them to be sluggish and not want to bite, at least that's what I told myself. We also saw 2 or 3 other kayaks, and I think only 1 of them had caught fish, though it may have been only 1 fish. All in all though, good first experience, and a helluva long paddle down to stoney creek and back, along with about 2 hours of trolling around the mouth and into the creek a bit, and a long some spots to and from there.

Comment

Add me to the skunked list. I didn't get out til after 12 and didn't chance heading to the area I really wanted to be at though due to the snotty conditions.

Comment

Working...
                        X