Fletchers II 4-6-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletchers II 4-6-16

I made some time to get out to fish again today. I was on the River from about 11:30 thru 2:00.
    The Capital Beltway traffic was even worse than usual. It takes me longer to drive 35 miles from Columbia to fish here, than it does to drive the 65 miles to fish the Susky. I'm giving that River about another week to get rolling.

The fishing was quite good. I caught a goodly number of shad. About 1/2 were large roe shad, but I also caught a bunch of much smaller bucks today.
    The fishing was streaky, you'd go for 20 minutes without a hit and then catch fish on 5 successive casts.
    I had a couple of double headers to boot.

The River was low, and clear, with 3+ feet of visibility.
    Today I was able to hit a low tide, unlike last week when it was incoming.

I went to a slightly heavier dart, about 1/4 oz. on the dropper and kept a 1/16 oz. dart on the trailer. This increased my casting range, and got the lure a little deeper, important in clear water with a bright sky.
    The hot color was still lemon / lime, but I also caught several on a chartreuse candy corn dart ( yellow chartreuse body, hot orange head, light chartreuse krystal flash tail).

I met a young guy named Wayne, who was kind enough to invite me to move down to the ledge he was fishing and catching at. And he is a kayaker, hopefully a future member, as I extended the invitation.
    Shad fishing is all about location, sometimes the fish tend to congregate in one or two choice holes, and then it is literally like shooting fish in a barrel.

Originally posted by bignose View Post
    I made some time to get out to fish again today. I was on the River from about 11:30 thru 2:00.
    The Capital Beltway traffic was even worse than usual. It takes me longer to drive 35 miles from Columbia to fish here, than it does to drive the 65 miles to fish the Susky. I'm giving that River about another week to get rolling.

The fishing was quite good. I caught a goodly number of shad. About 1/2 were large roe shad, but I also caught a bunch of much smaller bucks today.
    The fishing was streaky, you'd go for 20 minutes without a hit and then catch fish on 5 successive casts.
    I had a couple of double headers to boot.

The River was low, and clear, with 3+ feet of visibility.
    Today I was able to hit a low tide, unlike last week when it was incoming.

I went to a slightly heavier dart, about 1/4 oz. on the dropper and kept a 1/16 oz. dart on the trailer. This increased my casting range, and got the lure a little deeper, important in clear water with a bright sky.
    The hot color was still lemon / lime, but I also caught several on a chartreuse candy corn dart ( yellow chartreuse body, hot orange head, light chartreuse krystal flash tail).

I met a young guy named Wayne, who was kind enough to invite me to move down to the ledge he was fishing and catching at. And he is a kayaker, hopefully a future member, as I extended the invitation.
    Shad fishing is all about location, sometimes the fish tend to congregate in one or two choice holes, and then it is literally like shooting fish in a barrel.
    Thanks for the report. I live in Waldorf and commute to NW DC daily. Hi would love to hit Fletcher's...but the last thing I want to do on my day off is drive there...one day...one day...
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
    X