No announcement yet.

J-bay!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just booked 3 nights (May 12-15) at Best Western Plus Brooklyn Bay Hotel.
    Can you guys confirm that I can enter and exit the park at any time as long as I have the pass?

Thank you
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-09-2016, 08:14 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
      I just booked 3 nights (May 12-15) at Best Western Plus Brooklyn Bay Hotel.
      Can you guys confirm that I can enter and exit the park at any time as long as I have the pass?

Thank you
      Joe
      You may want to email the tournament directors to confirm, but if memory serves, the gate is open 24/7. If you can swing it, I recommend that the first time you arrive, you do so during the day. It's easy to get disoriented in the park at night if you don't know where you're going.

Viking Profish Reload
      Hobie Outback
      Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Thank you MD Dore.
        I got disoriented often at night in many different places. I am planning to be there Thursday noon to explorer the park and meet the members.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Regarding Weakfish

I am interested in catching large weakfish. So I am planning to fish the sharp drop-off, edge line in 15-30’ of water along the shallow areas/marsh for 3 days. Were there large weakfish caught last year?

Here are what I guess about current in the main body of Jamica Bay. Pleas correct me and advise:
          • The current seems mild in the main body of Jamaica Bay. The currents at the points and edges of the shallow areas (marsh) can be a little faster. I like sharp drop off around the marsh/shallow areas for weakfish.
          • The current at/near the Bridge can be very strong. It seems that I should avoid the area. Perhaps there are some warning signs for non-powered crafts.

Notes to myself - Current forecast on the web at the inlet:
          May 12
          Strong: 5 AM - Outgoing
          Slack: 8 AM
          Strong: 11 AM - Incoming
          Slack: 2 PM
          Strong: 5 PM - Outgoing
          May 13
          Strong: 6 AM - Outgoing
          Slack: 9 AM
          Strong: 12 AM - Incoming
          Slack: 3 PM
          Strong: 6 PM - Outgoing
          May 14
          Strong: 7 AM - Outgoing
          Slack: 10 AM
          Strong: 1 PM - Incoming
          Slack: 3 PM
          Strong: 4 PM - Outgoing
          May 15
          Strong: 8 AM - Outgoing
          Slack: 11 AM
          Strong: 2 PM - Incoming

Thanks
          Joe

Comment

Regarding Weakfish

I am interested in catching large weakfish. So I am planning to fish the sharp drop-off, edge line in 15-30’ of water along the shallow areas/marsh for 3 days. Were there large weakfish caught last year?

Here are what I guess about current in the main body of Jamica Bay. Pleas correct me and advise:
            • The current seems mild in the main body of Jamaica Bay. The currents at the points and edges of the shallow areas (marsh) can be a little faster. I like sharp drop off around the marsh/shallow areas for weakfish.
            • The current at/near the Bridge can be very strong. It seems that I should avoid the area. Perhaps there are some warning signs for non-powered crafts.

Only 2 weakfish last year that I heard of and they were 20ish inch fish if I remember correctly. The current will rip in a few places. The spots that stick out to me are the Marine Parkway Bridge / the shoreline NE of the bridge and the Cross Bay Bridge, both on the outgoing tides. Nothing worse than you deal with at the CBBT.

Comment

Weakfish are like Unicorns up there. They're caught, but in the 3 years I have attended there have been some caught but I couldn't tell you the size. Chimo has caught at least one that I remember. He might be able to give you some tips on where he's targeted them.

The bridge is actually the out of bounds for the tourney. I think you can fish the Jbay side, but not the other side. I went over there once, the current wasn't too bad. Fishing was though. LOL As a matter of fact most of Jbay's current has always been managable. The issue is the wind AND the current going the same way. On a regular day with 5-10mph winds all is good. But we had a day last year that the stars aligned and high winds and current were going the same direction and it was BAD. I think my paddle in was over 2 hours long. Hobie owners felt the burn too that day. LOL But in 3 years that was the worst day that I had on the water. There was one day a couple of years ago where they actually cancelled tourney fishing but we went over to Mills Basin and were able to get on some fish and be protected.

And you should be fine getting into the park late or very early with your pass. We arrived pretty late last year and it was no issue.

Comment

LOL Chimo you hit reply before I did.

Comment

At this year's tournament, along with weakfish I'd like to catch a tuna....
                  -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                  Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                  Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Thanks for the tips and info.
                    I guess I try to catch anything that bite.

I think I should shut up and order a boat night light and find all my big lures for stripers and bluefish.

The main purpose of this trip for me is to fish with friends – that may not come often as I get older and we constantly reallocate our homes.
                    I still think I can handle camping and fishing with bare-minimum drinkable water. Though I know I need baby powder after taking shower in the saltwater. Yes, I used to be an elite lean mean green fighting machine.

And, actually, my wife booked a room at Best Western. And I am man-enough to listen to wife. I told her that staying at Best Western defeats the whole purpose once (only once).
                    She remembered that I told her this "It was so good when I took hot shower in Michael's room at a hotel" years ago. She said "Keep it. Someone may need hot shower." I am trying to get two room keys.

Here is one of my main goals. I will be fishing, but the most of time, I will be taking videos of my friends. So when you have a fish on, slow down, give me enough time to get close to you. I am trying to make a 8-10 minute fishing video for Snagged-Liners if you don't mind. Also, please pause and smile for 5 seconds when I give a signal. Be a good actors/Actresses.

Thanks
                    Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-10-2016, 08:02 PM.

Comment

buy 4 gallons of water at the gas station and leave one in each corner of your tent
                      Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                      Is that a paved parking lot? How do you pitch a tent?
                      2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                      LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Thanks for the tips and info.
                        I guess I try to catch anything that bite.

I think I should shut up and order a boat night light and find all my big lures for stripers and bluefish.

Joe
                        If it is like other years you will catch plenty of Blues with the occasional Striper and Fluke while looking for Weakies. I really don't know that much about them but they say they a cyclical. In 4 years(?) of going I have only caught them only 1 year but that year I caught 7 including a fat 30 incher... And they all came from different areas on different baits, some while trolling and some while jigging, some on breaks and some on deeper flats. Maybe this will be another good year!

Comment

Just to add more info...

There is a shopping mall right up the street from the park. And the grocery store is just beyond that. Additionally, there is a Sports authority that has an ok selection for random gear. Also near by are Home Depot, Lowes, gas stations, popeyes, etc.

Really EVERYTHING you may need is nearby. Traffic can be a bear on the belt parkway, but we've managed in the past years with no problem.

jbay1.jpg
                          jbay2.jpg
                          jbay3.jpg
                          jbay4.jpg
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I had planned to go but it appears that my travel and camping partner has changed plans. Anyway. Im interested in going but would like to find someone to help share expenses. I cant do all tolls, food and gas myself. Im looking to campout near tarmac... there ya go.... any takers
                            Tom Brown
                            Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                            2012 Hobie PA 14'
                            Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                            2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

I'm going and plan to get there late Thursday. Medicyaker, you might be able to ride with me, depends on whether my friend comes or not. I'll keep you posted via pm.
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

My backup person at work moved on last week, and it seems that I may have to work in the evenings/nights of Friday and Saturday that weekend for a software deployment at work. As of now I am still preparing for the trip because my weekend deployment schedule changes often.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X