Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice about a long sleeve, hooded sun shirt

Hi,

I have always hated wearing sunscreen but know that I need to take better care of myself as I creep up in years. I think that having a good sun shirt will help make it easy for me to not skip sun protection "just this one time". I am looking for a long sleeved, hooded sun shit with thumb holes. I run very hot and am looking for the most breathable and comfortable option out there. I see that there are a million different ones on the market, but I can never seem to find them in stores to check them out in person, so I would love any advice or input anyone has.

Thanks.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

AFTCO fish ninja 2 fits your exact description. I have a couple and they are top notch.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I don't have first hand experience but I've heard good things about fishhide http://fishhidesportswear.com/t/fish...wear-originals

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I wore Columbia PFG shirts thru the July and August heat and was very happy with them. They started making a hooded version this year. I would also recommend fishing gloves of some type, if they don't have the thumb loop. I used Buff gloves thru that heat also and they were top notch!

Yak67
        2015 Hobia PA-14
        2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          AFTCO fish ninja 2 fits your exact description. I have a couple and they are top notch.
          agreed.. great shirts

I also agree fishing gloves are clutch.

I use 12wt fishing gloves. www.12wt.com

Comment

My wife bought me a short from Gillz for christmas. I have yet to use it, but I am very excited to give it a shot. They have great stuff!

http://gillz-gear.com

+1 on the Buff gloves as well
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks for all the options guys. Lots of stuff to think about. Right now the Fishhide's one is leading the pack because it comes in the most obnoxious color:

Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I hate sunscreen and I have a bunch of long sleeved shirts. I'll tell ya my favorites. The Huk ICON shirts are great on hot days. They have mesh in them as well as stain release. They're probably my favorite http://www.hukgear.com/collections/p...ducts/h1200023

I just got this Huk shirt that's supposed to interact with your sweat and make you cooler. I've worn it around the block but I haven't put it to the test yet. It's got a different looking fabric that goes against your skin which I guess works the magic. I have a towel like this and it works so I thought it'd be fun to try http://www.hukgear.com/products/h1500004

I also really like this surf to summit shirt. The whole thing is mesh and keeps me cool. https://www.surftosummit.com/protect...?cPath=199_275

I don't like the "dry fit" ones as much. They stick to you when you sweat. I like ones with mesh.

Hope this helps. ...oh yeah, get the neck gaiters too so you don't need sunscreen on your face.

The only thing I don't have are gloves, which I should probably look into.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Ex Officio also makes a hooded long sleeve sun shirt that is pretty good, called Sol Cool

Comment

West Marine started carrying light weight hooded light weight fishing sun gear. We have them at the Annapolis, Hillsmere store. They also carry Columbia, HUK and ExOfficio.

Comment

I wear Columbia long sleeve knit fishing shirts- nice cool- rated SPF 50- stain release- little pricey but durable and comfortable
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have Columbia PFG's with a head buff (bought a couple different patterns to match my fishing, a trout one, redfish/inshore, and a couple others) that has so far worked fairly well.

Comment

FreeFly Apparel is based out of Charleston, and they make a hooded performance shirt that is the cat's pajamas. I got one as a gift for xmas and its awesome. Super soft...SPF 50, hood, thumb hole/semi gloved hands, moisture wicking. A bit pricey but pretty badass.

http://www.freeflyapparel.com/men-s/...agrass%20Green

Comment

I ended up getting one from Cabela's when I was up in PA a few weeks ago. It was like $60 marked down to $25 so I jumped on it. I have only worn it last Saturday but it seems fine and reasonably cool. It is going to be a hard road making myself keep the sleeves pulled down though.
                            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I just got the HUK Icon shirt and pats (kinda as a set). I have tested in the yard and they are VERY light weight, and VERY expensive. I am putting them to the real test this weekend. I am pretty sure they will outperform the swiming rash gaurd and cotton T I had been using.
                              People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Working...
                              X