Indian River Inlet rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian River Inlet rescue

Not a lot of detail in the news yet, but it appears that someone in a kayak went out in gale force winds yesterday at IR. This Inlet is known by locals to be the most dangerous on the Delmarva Peninsula. It is not clear if this person was just paddling, fishing, or kayak surfing; but their actions put several people's lives at risk as well as their own. Some surfers came to his rescue on the North jetty rocks, and one of them had to be rescued by the Coast Guard as well as the kayaker. The surfer swallowed water and had to be treated for hypothermia. FYI to everyone in our group, the IR (the inlet portion) is never safe for a kayak in any wind conditions...just one old Guy's opinion.

I fish there off the banks t several times a year and run a boat out of there pretty regularly in the Summer. Depending on the tide and the wind it can be scary running a 23' center console boat through there. I've never seen a kayak there myself. I assume you would have to launch from the beach on the side of the jetties if you were to put one in. With the waves, current and boat traffic there it wouldn't be a place I would want to be in a kayak.
    Last edited by willf650; 04-04-2016, 10:36 AM.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Couldn't agree more. The swells there are like an endless wash cycle. Jetski's there still worry me but at least you have the top end to push thru it. Like willf said, you can be in a 25 footer and feel like you're too small to push thru from one hour to the next.

Comment

Wow, now that is nuts, I know the IRI well and never would have attempted it by kayak. Those currents are crazy. Hope those involved are OK.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

........ Natural selection foiled again ..........

Comment

Working...
          X