No announcement yet.

Flats 4/2/2016 - Rod Floats Work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Torqeedo is usually mounted in the center .......... I have never experienced or heard of anyone mention an effect on secondary balance. In fact, since it is below the surface it would add more below surface drag so it should help the balance. Besides, the whole engine part weighs about 8 lbs including the mount. Did you notice that the engine was off and the prop wasn't spinning? That's a built in safety feature that turns off the engine if you turtle so you don't have to deal with a spinning prop or a yak that is running away when trying it get back in. It also has a kill switch if you fall out and don't turtle.

Has anyone here experienced a change in balance from their Torqeedo? I have PAs so I might not be a good example.

Comment

If the kayaker happens to be reading this, please contact me. I would be happy to take you out and practice self rescue!

MM- the toqueedo was off by the time we got to him but he'd been flipped for at least 10 mins so I am not sure if it cut off or if he did something. The torqueedo was mounted on the back and definitely caused some additional drag when trying to flip it back over. So did the giant depth finder, rod holders, h-crate, and other accessories. The kayak had also taken on water by this point and was about half full when I got it back over and looked in the hatch. It was kinda squirrely for the guys towing it.

In my old Trident 13 I used to keep pool noodles stuffed on either side of the scuppers for added floatation when going out (especially from the beach) because I did not trust the rod pod. That may be something folks should add as extra safety to help displace the water inside and add extra floatation.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        In my old Trident 13 I used to keep pool noodles stuffed on either side of the scuppers for added floatation when going out (especially from the beach) because I did not trust the rod pod. That may be something folks should add as extra safety to help displace the water inside and add extra floatation.
        See, this what I love about SnaggedLine. Little tidbits of knowledge all over the place.

Gonna cram a couple pool noodles inside my Torque when I get home.

Good advice Redfish.
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I don't think the weight of the Yak matters much with getting it back upright after a turtle (from in the water, other yakkers still in their boats will have trouble). I used to sail some little 17 day sail boats and would dump those over on purpose all the time. There is a technique to getting even a relative large boat like that back up right. In the times I flipped over in my yak, I used the same technique and rolled the yak right back up.

Now, if you aren't wearing the right gear for this time of year... you will never get the chance to try to figure it all out while in the water.
          People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Luckily the water was in the mid to upper 50s but the guy was wiped out and it was all they could do to get into the boat. I did notice he had a life jacket on but it was unzipped and kept riding up over his head and getting hung up on the boat as they tried to pull him in.
            Jim

Hobie Outback
            TKAA member
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

I have practiced a self rescue from my older kayak, but not my Outback. This thread really has me wanting to give it a try this weekend in full gear and cooler water.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                I have practiced a self rescue from my older kayak, but not my Outback. This thread really has me wanting to give it a try this weekend in full gear and cooler water.
                The most helpful thing I learned was once your yak is back over, pull yourself or swim toward the kayak with your feet out and close to the surface and slide right over the side. If you are hanging on the side feet strait down and try and pull yourself up you can flip the yak over and smack yourself right in the face. Trust me it will come at you fast when that happens.

And have a friend there to assist if need be.
                Jim

Hobie Outback
                TKAA member
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Would a rescue ladder help in this scenario to get Yak right side up????

Comment

There are a couple techniques for flipping the kayak that do not involve a ladder. One requires that you go under the kayak and grab both sides, the other involves reaching over the top of the kayak and essentially falling backwards into the water, you can grab the front or back with both hands and twist, etc... you can do the rope ladder thing but I've never really seen a good example of how you would keep it ready to use and actually make use of it in an emergency. Some guys like them for a high gunnel kayak to assist with reentry from the back of the kayak, like on the Pro Angler, but in my opinion you are unlikely to be able to use it unless you attach it before you go out. The other way is to essentially make a loop for your foot in a piece of rope to help give you something to step up on from the side of the kayak. I think this leads to what rockchaser said above and makes re-entry tough.
                    Last edited by Redfish12; 04-04-2016, 10:37 PM.
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I am thinking the same thing Matt. This guy need some buddies that can teach him. Perhaps a smaller body of water to fish until he gets used to the limits of what his yak can do...and can't do.
                      2015 Outback
                      2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Was his name Bob? Get it? Bob?

Comment

That was me this week end, first time on that kayak, also have a the wind and waves picked up fast , I was headed back in because I felt it getting worse, then I was over in instant. Don't know why or how, all happened to fast, I just got my replacement phone or I would of posted earlier.. I appreciate the help that day.. Very scary to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mjwjr View Post
                            That was me this week end, first time on that kayak, also have a the wind and waves picked up fast , I was headed back in because I felt it getting worse, then I was over in instant. Don't know why or how, all happened to fast, I just got my replacement phone or I would of posted earlier.. I appreciate the help that day.. Very scary to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Glad you are Ok.
                            Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                            Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

I do not find any difference but I am sure the higher newer seat with a higher center of gravity must be less stable...
                              http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
                              484-459-9863
                              If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                              *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Things can happen quicker than you think on the water, like you experienced. Just a suggestion since you're from Joppa, head over to Mariner Point and put in. Just cruise around the houses for a couple hours. It stays nice and calm in there. Get to know how your kayak reacts when you move certain ways. Move the seat from the hi to low and back a few times. Lean to the sides gradually and see how the kayak reacts in the hi and low positions. Knowing these things are invaluable when you get out on some big open water and the conditions turn to shit. And when the water and weather gets warm, flip it over on purpose and see exactly what t takes to get back in during a controlled environment, because it'll help if Saturday ever happens again.

Comment

Working...
                                X