No announcement yet.

Flats 4/2/2016 - Rod Floats Work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big thx to everyone involved w/the rescue & I'm glad you are ok, mjwjr. There's plenty of
    great people on this forum who share their knowledge & we all learn from on-water experiences...
    even from yours. See you on the water & tight lines everyone!

Comment

Excellent idea– Plus one on this one
      Harlan

Revo 13
      Trident 13
      Cuda 14
      Necky Tandem

Comment

Just glad you are ok

Comment

everyone needs a rescue ladder for their kayak the cost is almost nothing search you tube for kayak rescue ladder and build your own. flipping back over a fully loaded hobie or any kayak is tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRd1ha2rE0A

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
            I did notice he had a life jacket on but it was unzipped and kept riding up over his head and getting hung up on the boat as they tried to pull him in.
            This is a key part of the problem, and an easy thing to fix. A PFD worn correctly is a huge asset when you're in the water, but if it's worn incorrectly it becomes another problem you have to fix prior to re-entry.

One tip I learned while in the military: if you haven't already, it's never a bad idea to tape down the tag ends of your gear (PFD) once you have it fitted correctly. This prevents it from coming loose over time. It also prevents unnecessary tangling while you're fishing--or in the water.

Getting back in a turtled kayak is 80% technique.
            I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            Garmin Echomap 93sv
            RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
              In my old Trident 13 I used to keep pool noodles stuffed on either side of the scuppers for added floatation when going out (especially from the beach) because I did not trust the rod pod. That may be something folks should add as extra safety to help displace the water inside and add extra floatation.
              Just getting around to reading this post. Fantastic idea about the pool noodle Redfish! It just so happens I have some extra noodles lying around the garage that I didn't want to throw away in case I found I some use for them, now I know what to do with them.
              BTW, did you just wedge the noodles into the various empty spaces in your hull or did you end up having to glue them in place?
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I placed them on the sides of the kayak between the scuppers and the gunnels so that I had room for the rods in the middle. I have not felt the need to do it on any of my Hobie kayaks but I have some extra noodles that I think I will sick in the back and on the sides now!
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X