Flats 4/2/2016 - Rod Floats Work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats 4/2/2016 - Rod Floats Work!

I fished the flats this morning with Rockchaser and echo5oscar. The fishing was typical for me on the flats, slow! They caught a short each and I caught a skunk! We ran into a few snaggedliners and one former snaggedliner, maybe they will post how they did.

On another note, on the way out from the ramp we heard someone yell for help and saw an orange outback turtled near the sea plane
    buoy. We rushed over to help and found a kayaker clinging to the hull of his boat and in bad shape. At about the same time we arrived a nearby boater took notice and came in to help. He must have radio'd because another boater also came to assist. It took 2 guys to get him in the boat but he was alright! We scavenged his gear and helped flip the boat over so it could be towed. It could have been worse!

Make sure to wear proper dry gear and don't go out alone in rough water!

DSCN0332.jpgDSCN0331.jpgDSCN0330.jpgDSCN0329.jpgDSCN0328.jpg
    Last edited by Redfish12; 04-02-2016, 04:21 PM.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

......... Do you know who it was ........ I see he has a Torqeedo on the yak

Comment

Nice job guys any idea how he turtled.
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thankfully you were there to help.... could have been very bad.... I fished today in the rain and wind in my local little lake. No waves just ripples and managed to get 7 bass in 53 degree water. And I wore my pfd all day!!!
        http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
        484-459-9863
        If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
        *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

I can tell you that kayak was heavy with all that gear mounted to it. It took 2 guys in a boat and Redfish in his yak to get it back over. I don't know if one person could pull it back over while in the water. Something to think about when adding weight.
          Jim

Hobie Outback
          TKAA member
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

That is also one of those limited edition outbacks so it's obviously new. I wonder if that was his first time out with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            1980 Something Old Town Canoe
            2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
            2015 Coosa HD
            2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
            2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Interesting, hopefully everyone is OK.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I just watched Nightcrawler for the first time and your story reminds me of it. What great footage!

Really glad the guy was ok, certainly a lesson to be learned for some, and maybe all of us.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  I fished the flats this morning with Rockchaser and echo5oscar. The fishing was typical for me on the flats, slow! They caught a short each and I caught a skunk! We ran into a few snaggedliners and one former snaggedliner, maybe they will post how they did.

On another note, on the way out from the ramp we heard someone yell for help and saw an orange outback turtled near the sea plane
                  buoy. We rushed over to help and found a kayaker clinging to the hull of his boat and in bad shape. At about the same time we arrived a nearby boater took notice and came in to help. He must have radio'd because another boater also came to assist. It took 2 guys to get him in the boat but he was alright! We scavenged his gear and helped flip the boat over so it could be towed. It could have been worse!

Make sure to wear proper dry gear and don't go out alone in rough water!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18646[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18647[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18648[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18649[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18650[/ATTACH]

Looks like the same kayak that MedicYaker saw turtle on the patapsco back in the beginning of march.https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d0&oe=57798949

Comment

Do you guys find the higher center of gravity negatively effects your secondary stability on the 'lawn chair' seats...at least in the high positions? Can you even tell yhe dofference from uour old molded seat versions?
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Kevin, for sure the high position changes the center of gravity on the outback. The outback has excellent primary stability which I think gives people a false sense of security, especially folks that are new to kayaking. If you get your head outside of the gunnel and aren't paying attention the outback will bathtub you and roll you out, just like any other kayak.

There was a plug tangled in the guy's flag and my guess is he was reaching behind him trying to get that out and probably overextended and there she went.

I think we should do another self rescue practice at Sandy Point or Jonas Green this year so people can practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        Kevin, for sure the high position changes the center of gravity on the outback. The outback has excellent primary stability which I think gives people a false sense of security, especially folks that are new to kayaking. If you get your head outside of the gunnel and aren't paying attention the outback will bathtub you and roll you out, just like any other kayak.

There was a plug tangled in the guy's flag and my guess is he was reaching behind him trying to get that out and probably overextended and there she went.

I think we should do another self rescue practice at Sandy Point or Jonas Green this year so people can practice.
                        I have also wondered about sitting sideways in those chairs, i do that all the time with my traditional seat....is that even possible with the lawn chair in high position?
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Yea, you can still sit side saddle in the high position

Comment

I can tell you that mounting a torqeedo on the rear of an outback will definitely change secondary balance. I will spend more time on mine prior to mounting the torqeedo. So far in 6 trips I have no reason to place the seat in the high position.
                            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Is this another example of a first timer just going out and buying all the most expensive gear, and then grossly overestimating their ability and strength as a paddler/angler/swimmer? I see this every year on our annual atv trip to the hatfield McCoy trails, some jagaloon buys a $15k side by side (usually rzr's) and ends up going down the side of the mountain.

Comment

Working...
                              X