Warm Weather Gloves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm Weather Gloves?

Anybody that paddles (as opposed to pedals) have any recommendations for warm-weather gloves? I have Glacier Gloves for winter - they were even too warm on some days in January, so they'd be far too warm in spring/summer, but I definitely need something. I paddle troll and I have blisters in new spots every time I come in (from adjusting my grip to ease the pain on the previous blister!)

I'm thinking the ones that don't cover fingertips would be best, but I wanted to see if you guys have any wisdom to impart.

My wife bought gloves for her stand up paddleboard last year and I made fun of her. I never needed them on that. Maybe because the paddle stays drier. Oops. Not gonna hear the end of this one for a while...
    2018 Hobie Compass

Go to Kokatat or NRS, they make some nice gloves. I use the kokatat fingerless gloves during the summer and I don't paddle any more.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I use a pair of Grease Monkey fingerless gloves I bought from Home Depot.

Comment

I think gold's gym brand weightlifting gloves might do the trick as they are fingerless also. They're pretty cheap if you get them from Walmart or wherever.

Comment

Last spring I was fishing in Florida and got a bad sunburn on the backs of my hands. To get through the remainder of that trip I went to a tackle shop and bought a pair of flyfishing sun gloves. I found them to be useful for a variety of reasons and now wear them on every trip from start to finish. In the cold weather they keep my hands warm. They block sun. They minimize the number of fin pricks I get. They provide some cushioning for paddling to minimize blisters.

The pair I use now came from Cabelas but other companies make them too. http://www.cabelas.com/product/cloth...Tz_stype%3DGNU

Plan to wash them with soap and water after every trip or they will quickly get ripe.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wonderful. Thanks all!
            2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

I just bought some Buff gloves that are designed for fishing. I have been using NRS Boaters gloves for years, but the Buff ones have better finger coverage and excellent reinforcements right where you need it. I really like them a lot!

http://buffusa.com/buff-products/men.../tarpon-scales
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                I just bought some Buff gloves that are designed for fishing. I have been using NRS Boaters gloves for years, but the Buff ones have better finger coverage and excellent reinforcements right where you need it. I really like them a lot!

http://buffusa.com/buff-products/men.../tarpon-scales
                Bruce - I have a pair of the tarpon scale Buff gloves that my daughter gave me. When the Cabelas gloves wear out they go on next.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I like the light buff gloves. Just got my second pair. I wore the first pair for a couple seasons with hardly any wear, just couldn't get the fish funk out of em anymore...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I absolutely love my Orvis Fighting Sun Gloves. They are marketed for paddling/ fishing which is what I am because I paddle also, and they are more comfortable than the fingerless weight lifting gloves because they stayed wet on my hand. My Rapala fishing gloves were too hot so I was always taking them off and subsequently dropping one of them in the water! I used to get terrible sore spots but no more. I used "yak grips" also on my paddle before I started wearing gloves, but the gloves also prevent me from getting hooks in my hand when fish start threshing about in the yak.
                    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

I tend to just recycle Mechanix's work gloves. Go thru a pair or two a year with the tip of the fingers eventually giving way. I'll just trim them to fit comfortably, and you're good to go.

Comment

Thanks for the review of the Orvis Fighting Sun Gloves. I've read other reviews indicating how durable and grippy these gloves are. Got mine for $24 shipped.

smithmal
                        smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                        Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Working...
                        X