Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleware River camping trip

Hi guys,

I am a Virginia kayaker planning to do a 4 day camping/kayaking trip down the Delaware River with some friends. Do you guys have any pointers? Good maps you know of? Places to camp? What to prepare for? Going April 8-11th. Any help is welcome, thanks

I heard stories about the current in the Delaware River not being kayak friendly. I have been in the lower Delaware river near Port Penn, DE and Smyrna area with no problems.

I use the App Navionics, I paid $9.99 for the app. It gives a lot of information on water depth, submerged objects, GPS also. Let us know how your trip goes. Good luck and stay Safe.

Comment

Where on the Delaware are you looking to start from and how much of the river are you looking to float? I do a trip in late May/early June every year. Its a 18 mile one day trip from Barryville to Moungap. There are a bunch of camp sites on the river. We stay at Cedar Rapids. This is on the main stem of the Delaware. You can go up and start from Narrowsburg and go down to Moungap and i think that would be about 40 miles. There are a ton of nice small mouth. I have caught trout in the middle of the river too. Muskie and Walleye are around but i have bever seen any. Then again i go later in the season. I would check the NPS website. The river in that section is run by them. They have pretty good maps with launch points. Also if you hit that section you could use either an NY or PA license. It think the PA license is cheaper for the 7 day pass and NY is cheaper for a one day.
      2016 Ascend FS12T
      Pelican Apex 100

Comment

Thanks for the insight. We are going next weekend, April 8-11.We plan to drop in at Milford and travel about 34 miles south to the Delaware water gap. It seems kayaks and canoes frequently travel this route throughout the spring and summer months. I have a sit on top and yes plan to buy a large waterproof bag from REI.

Comment

As stated before the current in the lower Delaware river can move pretty good. I normally crab the lower Delaware river where the water is brackish around the Augustine/Port Penn areas... Never been up to the PA side of it. But I will vouch for the current!

Comment

Thanks. I will be taking special precautions regarding the current. One precaution is, I plan to put outriggers on for stability and I will observe the weather and water current conditions leading to and throughout the trip. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X