Harbor Hospital/Patapsco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Hospital/Patapsco

I'm thinking launching at harbor hospital and paddling into the Patapsco where it becomes a narrow tidal river to look for shad. Any thoughts? Good or bad idea? I have not fished this area yet.
    Thanks,
    LC3

That area leads back to the Belle Grove ponds which are popular. I don't know it as a shad spot, but there could be a run there since it's freshwater flowing in.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Shad usually seem to be found moving to fresh water with current ....... I.e. The Potomac, Susquehana and the creeks that feed them ......... Deer Creek, Octocora creek etc

Comment

I from and grew up in that area and have never seen a shad taken from it. Guess it's possible but if you really want shad you may want to go somewhere else.

Years ago fishing from the bank I'm sure I saw a school of them through a deep are at an undercut bank. I could be wrong, possibly it was perch. That was a good way up river closer to Elkridge.

Comment

You could launch at Southwest Area Park to access some flowing water.
          It is upstream from the Middle Branch (Harbor Hospital launch ramp), and just downstream from the Belle Grove Ponds.

While I have observed a few shad migrating up the Patapsco near the Swinging Bridge in the Park when I was Trout fishing, I would hardly call it a "run."
          More like one or two misguided or lost fish!
          I would hesitate going there to fish for shad. Carp, maybe, some White Perch and the occasional Bass/Striper/Catfish.

I have launched at the Hospital Ramp many times, but mostly to fish the more open areas towards Fort McHenry.
          When Blode Dam is knocked down over the next year, there may be the chance of a restored shad run as much more spawning areas will open up.
          Last edited by bignose; 03-27-2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I used to fish that river darn near everyday in the summer when i was younger, the shad do run in that river but its not a well known spot to fish for them, i think its because they are mostly the mud shad that run there. I remember fishing belle grove ponds and watching hundreds of them swarm in circles in some of the shallower coves, and they are more spaced out in the upper parts of the river. But when i have witnessed these fish grouped up it was before the removal of the dam. Now river is full of silt so i couldnt tell you if they are able to spawn productivly enough to return. I have caught them off chartreuse grubs when they were around
            Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
            -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
            -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
              I used to fish that river darn near everyday in the summer when i was younger, the shad do run in that river but its not a well known spot to fish for them, i think its because they are mostly the mud shad that run there. I remember fishing belle grove ponds and watching hundreds of them swarm in circles in some of the shallower coves, and they are more spaced out in the upper parts of the river. But when i have witnessed these fish grouped up it was before the removal of the dam. Now river is full of silt so i couldnt tell you if they are able to spawn productivly enough to return. I have caught them off chartreuse grubs when they were around
              That makes sense, thinking back, mud shad is what they appeared to be to me at the time I mentioned seeing the school in the river, I remember the dark backs. If I recall correctly I had some darts but couldn't get a bite. Till that point I never really thought about shad being in the river and still have never saw one caught in it. It's very interesting to hear you actually caught some.

Comment

I've fished that area a little bit. I live 15mins from the southwest area park. Never really had any great trips though lol, my dad caught a monster pickerel near the ponds and I've caught a striper trolling in circles around that big rusty float thing by the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X