Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in the April meet and greet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
    FYI, Perryville park doesn't open until 7 or 7:30.i don't remember which.
    I believe it is 7. Leaning towards HDG for a few reasons, that being one of them.

Comment

I'm coming if work doesn't see me up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
      Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

It's looking like we have the makings of a nice little group. If everyone could please let me know if they plan on attending lunch afterwards, that would be great. Also if anyone local has a recommended eatery, I'm all ears. Tidewater Grille is nice but somewhat costly. Anyone ever visited The Bayou? Gets good reviews and does lunch specials from 11 till 4.

Comment

So I promised Kevin I would post up today at some point. I'm the buddy that's going to help out. so here's my input.....Perryville is a nicer launch, not as much boat traffic good parking, dedicated launch for canoes and kayaks only. The gate opening would not be an issue due to the tides. Problem is, more productive fishing is historically on the HdG side of the flats for striped bass. Besides that, since the Rendezvous burnt down a few years ago, there are no good places to get a bunch of people in for a decent meal. It's a shame, they had awesome crab cakes...

With that said, HdG launch at the Municipal Ramp at Tydings Park puts you in a great spot for fishing the Flats, plenty of parking and if you cartop, no need to pay to launch. You have several very good eateries to chose from. The Promenade right at the Marina offers counter service food with outside seating but no adult beverages. MacGregors and The Tidewater Grill are side by side in the center of town sharing the same parking lot, both offer good table fare and drinks, personal preference leans toward MacGregors for the covered outside dining. Coakley Tavern is across the street from MacGregors, haven't been there in some time, but the food was decent when last there. Any one who knows, HdG parking is at a premium, you will be walking a short distance to a restaurant.

So, with all that said, open to some opinions/sugestions on where to launch and eat. I'll do the local legwork and set up a restaurant in advance of our arrival.

Comment

Going to add this in...On the Perryville side of the Flats there is a pretty good Sushi place on RT 40 not far from the park. For those not into sushi, they do have non sushi offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mullet Miller View Post
              Going to add this in...On the Perryville side of the Flats there is a pretty good Sushi place on RT 40 not far from the park.
              Nice to hear from you Bob and glad to hear you are coming, it will feel like a mini Jamboree but please no Sushi, just not my thing.

Two for lunch here if it's not Sushi.
              Do you really think you can get everyone herded to one launch, I'm in for it but imagine some coming will like to hit their own favorite area. Newcomers should definitely stick with the crowd it's a big place and big water. I'll be wherever you guys decide and be happy except with Sushi. I will throw my vote in for the HdG side and as a bonus it gets me away from the Sushi, shudder.

You know what the launch fee is for trailer-ed kayaks? That's the only downside I see. At the same time anyone coming from the south will save the bridge toll and it may balance out.
              Last edited by DonV; 03-26-2016, 08:49 PM.

Comment

OK, no sushi! I prefer launching at HdG myself.

I think it's $10. Yeah, it sucks for the tailer folks, put they get full pretty quick most weekends because of all the bass fishing club tourneys there. I can not tell how diligent they are in enforcing the parking anymore. They used to be real pricks about it and would have a couple cops generating funds...er......writing tickets all day on Saturdays. Across the Flats in Perryville they are hard asses at the public ramps for sure.

Comment

What time does everyone plan on launching? I don't use mechanical propulsion & may launch at PP park since it is closer to the flats. I'll do lunch, I don't care for Sushi. There is a new Sushi restaurant in HDG on route 40 & Lewis. I believe it also serves steaks. Coakleys good food & isn't badly priced, outside of that Tidewater or McGregors have good food also. The Promenade at Tydings park is open and they have expanded their deck but no reserved seating.

The parking for trailers at Tydings is $10.00, $5.00 at The Amtrack bridge launch, not much parking but may be able to park in the lot next door now that the city owns it.

Edit; Currently Perrypoint Park opening time is at 7:30 am.
                  Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-28-2016, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I would also like to attend this, I've never trolled from my kayak before, so it would be nice to be around a group of people who knew what they were doing so I could get some tips.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                      I would also like to attend this, I've never trolled from my kayak before, so it would be nice to be around a group of people who knew what they were doing so I could get some tips.
                      Here isa good article on general principles and finding productive areas on the Flats.http://walleyepete.com/advice/susque...hing-tutorial/

Comment

Ok we have decided on a launch site and time. We will launch from the city yacht basin http://webapps02.dnr.state.md.us/MDP...PKintKeyID=154
                        We will launch at 7 AM. There is a charge for anyone trailer ing their kayaks. It is $10. Car topping is free. Anyone who objects to the fee is welcome to launch wherever the see fit. We will be on VHF channel 68. It is looking like lunch will be at Mac Gregors following our adventure. Thinking we will shoot to be off of the water by noon. Lunch around 1:00. I would like to have an idea of who is definitely attending by this Saturday, the 2nd. Please also let me know if you will be attending lunch afterwards. Thanks in advance...looking forward to meeting everyone!

Comment

I'm in. Do you think they'll be any other fish worth targeting besides C&R striper? I might bring some rigs for perch and stuff if you guys think it'd be worth it. Or is there a decent chance at any catfish hanging out around the deeper holes, if there are any?

Comment

I'm in for both, This is my first meet and greet so looking forward to it. I don't know if I will launch at Tydings or go over to Perry Point Park since it is closer to the flats for me to paddle. I may meet everyone at Tydings at 7am then make the call to go over to the park or not since it opens at 7:30am.

Perch maybe, not so sure on catfish. They've been catching a few bass near the PP Park fishing dock.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                              I'm in. Do you think they'll be any other fish worth targeting besides C&R striper? I might bring some rigs for perch and stuff if you guys think it'd be worth it. Or is there a decent chance at any catfish hanging out around the deeper holes, if there are any?
                              You could target largemouth bass if need be. Few years back we had such bad wind it scared me off from heading out on the Flats and we hung the shore below the ramp. Picked up some bass on hardbaits, spinners etc. I don't know if the flats are productive for perch. Further up in the river shad, white perch, catfish etc can all be targeted.

Comment

I'm in and for lunch. Ill be at the tydings launch. Cant wait.
                                John
                                Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Working...
                                X