Bay Bridge July 10th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge July 10th

After seeing positive reports for live-lining at the bridge made arrangements to head out there Sunday afternoon. I had a long BBQ the night before and I was struggling to get moving. Finished cleaning up the pressing stuff, loaded up, and headed out to meet Friday at terrapin park.

Launching there wasn't so bad except for the sand and tons of people part. The launch wasn't too bad though since I had everything laid out in the parking lot and just needed to tuck the cart in. Made my way to the shallow pilings for spot and tried for 20 mins. No luck. I trolled a three way with a sassy shad and a magic swimmer on my way out to deeper water. I had one good hit that I missed. Then as I got deeper I caught several small blues, one about 12 inches. Found Friday and showed him one of the blues that I was considering live-lining. He was anchored and had caught several spot and perch that we both thought were too big for bait. We decided to try casting because he had seen a boat casting shads pick up a few around him. The wind picked up and it was difficult holding position. The current picked up in the opposite direction and then it got kinda hairy out there. We decided to troll the edges of the pilings and see what we could pick up. I was trolling and came across a rare site, an empty double piling and had to take a cast! First cast got a tap, second cast got a 22” incher! I promised my roommate I’d bring him some rock home, so I put it on the game clip. Looked for Joe, he was way down so I took another cast… caught 2 more, one with spots and one that was 17”. He made his way back and I showed him the fish and told him what I was using. We set to work on the pilings. I caught a lot, not sure of the number but it was between 15-20 or 25. I missed a lot too. I was not the boats favorite person, bc they were anchored with spot out and not catching. I had several nice rides and caught a few just over 30 inches.

I had a new design for a swamp munkey with me that I tried after my other bkd got too mangled. First pilings I threw it out produced a BIG fish. I called Friday over and he got some of the fight on video and the boat-side hook spit release. I’m hoping you can see the head, it was huge. Between my trips with Captain Pete over the winter and reading everything Kimbro ever writes I think I’m finally getting the bkd thing. Biggest thing I can say is that you need an extra fast rod, m or mh, braided line (I was using 20lb), and a decent reel. I am a conventional convert and I don’t think I can go back to spinning on the kayak, it’s just much easier to control a cast with my thumb than having to use both hands to cup the spool on a spinning reel. Joe had a lot of bites but was unable to connect, I think he had too soft of rods to get the action needed for the BKD’s. He did catch an oyster toad on a bkd though!!! Salinity must be up and good to see fish around the bridge, especially of this class during the summer!

Here’s dinner, more shots to come.

Last edited by Redfish12; 07-19-2012, 12:08 PM.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Nice job. Glad to see the bite picked up again later in the day. It seems like overall the kayakers were outperforming the boaters that day.
    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Sounds like a great time on the water! As for terrapin Beach park. If I'm looking at it on Google, northeast of where it says Terrapin Beach park is Log Canoe Cir. At the northwest corner of Log canoe cir., there is what appears to be a parking loop which is connected to cross island trail. Is this where people are parking and then carting to the beach on cross island trail?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Awesome fish. I suck at jigging, and I need to join you guys to get some lessons. I must be "hand deaf" because I have difficulty feeling anything besides snags when I'm jigging. If I can't see/watch the line, I'm really sunk. I also need practice positioning the boat while jigging.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bill I'm definitely not the expert, but I'm learning. I'll try to help as much as I can next time we go out. Honestly the biggest help was taking trips with Captain Pete over the winter, it was well worth it and he really goes above and beyond to teach you how to get the feel for it. Fishing the rips is a lot harder than the pilings and with a hobie it's really easy to get your jig back off the snags. Neither Friday nor I lost a jig the whole time out, which is unbelievable in my opinion.

He said he has some shots of the whole thing from cast to release so maybe that will help. He also said he's going to join snaggedline finally...
          Last edited by Redfish12; 07-11-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I did some jigging at the August M&G last year lost a bunch of jigs to the rebar. It seemed like a bunch of the pilings have a rebar grid or a bunch of ends sticking out, and I kept breaking off on those. I also have a hard time setting the hook while sitting. Standing in a boat is easier because there is more room to swing. When jigging from the yak, I keep getting hit halfway down on the drop and can't get enough leverage to drive the hook home. Anyway, hopefully I can join you guys out there soon.
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

nice fish! where you jiggin the bottom, vertical, or suspended fish along the pilings? most of my luck has come from suspended fish...have yet to catch one off the bottom...
              sigpic

Comment

Most all came from the bottom. I tried to do the same stuff Kimbro talks about. Position downstream, cast up past the pilings, wait for the jig to hit bottom and snap it back as soon as it does. There were a couple of times where it would drift past the pilings and I would go to rip it in and a fish would nail it. I guess we just found a couple of productive pilings. Should also say were were in relatively shallow water and most of the boat fleet was on down the span. We fished away from the boats as much as possible, which we all know isn't actually possible!

Bill, were you using that bps extreme rod? I think the stiff/sensitive rod really makes the difference in feeling. I missed a lot but really tried to point my tip as close to the water on the drop when I could remember to. I was using a 7ft rod, not sure if that helps at all. I like the north span, not sure if it is true, but I think I loose less lures there. Like I said, unbelievable we didn't loose any yesterday. My leader was really frayed a couple of times and I got lucky that it held. HiSeas flouro gets a nod from me, I always like their quattro but the flouro might even be tougher. I'm hoping Friday can get a video up soon so you see what I'm talking about.
                Last edited by Redfish12; 07-11-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Michael ...... You ARE the expert ........ great job ...... better eatin !!!!!!

Comment

I was using the BPS Extreme back then, and I think I was using both the spinning rod and the bait casting rod. I've since picked up a couple Carrot Stix spinning rods on sale, and it's definitely better with them, especially with fluoro. With that said, I was fishing with Grizzdog from tidalfish this winter using the same rod, reel, line, leader, knot, and jighead he was, and I think he outfished me (conservatively) 4:1, which leads me to hand deafness. I did get a little better by my 3rd or 4th trip, so I think there might be hope for learning the Bay Bridge.
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Jigging lessons for everyone!
                      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        Awesome fish. I suck at jigging, and I need to join you guys to get some lessons. I must be "hand deaf" because I have difficulty feeling anything besides snags when I'm jigging. If I can't see/watch the line, I'm really sunk. I also need practice positioning the boat while jigging.
                        Here's what I learned for fishing these pilings. This is a quick drawing to demonstrate positioning and current, the black lines are the general cast pattern. Holding the kayak to the inside of structure downstream, protects you from the main current and allows you to cast upstream, letting the lure fall past the front of the structure. This works on both sides of the structure. Most of the fish hold around the front of the stucture upstream, but I had hits near the back as I was pulling my lure up right below the kayak as well. The main thing is staying far back enough that you're not getting hit with the main current and swept away from the structure too quickly.

2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

nice work mike! at least joes getting out more this season. i think i saw u guys close up on the north side around 4 i was taking my mother in law home to KI beeped at u guys

Comment

Nice illustration there, Frett. I'll have to see if I can put it to use. Thanks.
                            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

nice job mike!
                              Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Working...
                              X