Top water wight perch ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top water wight perch ??

Hi all. I hope to fly fish more this year . Is white perch doable on poppers ? I have been home for 6 week +/- and have tied 250 -300 fly's . I hope to be down for extended fishing this week . thank you Rick
    Last edited by RIng; 03-14-2016, 09:33 AM.

I have better luck with them on Clousers or crystal buggers but this one hit a Sneaky Pete slider on the surface:

A.JPG
    Last edited by Mark; 03-14-2016, 09:59 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

White perch aren't in the rivers yet. Watch the water temps; when they hit about 70 degrees, the w perch are in.

I've never caught w perch near the surface. They are almost always around piers, jetties, other obstructions and oyster reef, and hang out near the bottom. A simple hi-lo rig with live bait (fresh peeler, live bloodworm, grass shrimp) on red bead spinners is the most reliable way to catch them. Other guys have luck with shad darts, shiny spoons and Mepps spinners. My fav bait is fresh peeler. A large enough piece will keep the dinks at bay, and I've caught stripers that way too.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
        White perch aren't in the rivers yet. Watch the water temps; when they hit about 70 degrees, the w perch are in.

I've never caught w perch near the surface. They are almost always around piers, jetties, other obstructions and oyster reef, and hang out near the bottom. A simple hi-lo rig with live bait (fresh peeler, live bloodworm, grass shrimp) on red bead spinners is the most reliable way to catch them. Other guys have luck with shad darts, shiny spoons and Mepps spinners. My fav bait is fresh peeler. A large enough piece will keep the dinks at bay, and I've caught stripers that way too.
        ^ yup tiny inline spinners you'd used for panfish and shad darts work great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Zack
        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

thanks all . I have caught many on little spinner bates , I plane on doing a lot of fly fishing this year so was wondering if poppers and such would work . thanks Mark Rick

Comment

I catch a lot of white perch while fly fishing. I usually catch most of my spring perch on fly gear. I have never used a surface lure for them. I like an intermediate sink tip line with a 4X fluoro leader. I use little barbell head flies. I have the best luck with white and pink. The bonus is you will usually get a striper every now and then. I fish the lower susquehanna from shore while the river is moving some water so I usually use an 8wt but my friend Rob uses a 5 wt and I have seen him (and have pictures to prove it) land stripers in the mid 20 inch range. A small white clauser works well too. I hope this helps.
            perchfly.jpg
            Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
            Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
              I catch a lot of white perch while fly fishing...The bonus is you will usually get a striper every now and then. [ATTACH=CONFIG]18461[/ATTACH]
              That's very true. I caught the perch in my photo (previous post on this thread) on top when I was fly fishing for stripers. That little guy was quite ambitious.

A subsurface fly that supposedly will do well for them, but one that I have no practical experience with is called "Crazy Charlie". I recently read a book about Chesapeake fly fishing that mentioned pink Crazy Charlies for white perch. It's a bonefish fly, quick and easy to tie. I'll give them a try this year.

But the main point of most of the posts here is that it's rare for a white perch to hit a surface fly or lure. It has only happened to me once and I've hooked many white perch on flies.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-003
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Crazy Charlies are the little barbell heads that I spoke of. Very good for perch and shad.
                Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Working...
                X