Human Power vs Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
    man i just deleted my stinky opinion, this winter im powering my revo for all the disadvantages that it brings and not because it will make fish jump in my yak
    Sam ....... your opinion is not stinky ...... it's your opinion and any opinion is valid .........

I did not write my discussion to be aggressive (can't think of the proper word) but after reading it again it could have been taken that way. However, that was not how I felt when i wrote and did not mean it to be taken that way.

Sam ...... my setup is a side mount that uses the Islandhopper Mount with a 30# thrust engine. It can be removed in seconds. You are more than welcome to try mine before you spend bucks to see if it is really for you. I've used mine a couple of times but I'm not sure it's for me.

The biggest perceived advantage to me is that it would help getting out of trouble, allow to rest and troll to a distance fishing place like the islands @ CBBT but would be in the way when I got there.

Comment

Is your setup really 400lbs? I was thinking of picking up a used Torque so I can putz to CBBT instead of peddling 2 miles each way. I guess that's why the Hobie Evolve cost as much as a Torque.

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
      here is my take on this. There are only 2 advantages of an electric motor, the abillity to rig and bait on the go saving time in between fishing holes, and the abillity to hold into current. That is it. Other than that the E yaks are more limited than peddle and after fishing a malibu 13 the other day paddle aswell. In the torque i am limited by weight and battery life. I have less room to put things than in the revo. I have (before it sank) chosen to use the revo over the torque especially when the time spent on the water is an unknown factor. While i have been able to do 15+ mile round trip days my yak weight is around 400lb's with both batteries and gear. I move slow and steady. There should be limitations on electric drivision in my opinion. If a kayak has a motor that allows it to move faster than a human powered kayak i think that shouls be a seperate division. I top out at around 3 kts, in the malibu and the revo i can move faster than 3kts.

Imagine having a 400 lb kayak with a motor that doesnt work and paddling from the eastside BB cross current back to SPSP. It has happened to me.

Comment

I don't know about ya'all kayakers, but I never run out of juice. My cooler is always full. I'm too laid back to win any tournaments. Wait a minute, a weed wacker with a prop. It would be like one of those boats that I saw in Thailand, when I was in the Navy. Now thats a country, I mean catagory.

Comment

No more towing service for you.
          Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
          The only advantage I can see from powered yaks is the speed you can get from spot to spot... that can help you I guess... but I wouldn't say its a real advantage when just fishing. I mean think about it... I am sure that Kayak Kevin could outfish some regular boats any day of the week because he has more experience on what to look for, etc.

Some say it lets you fish longer, but I have yet to quit fishing because my arms get tired... now granted there have been paddles back to shore wishing I would have called it quits a tad earlier, but then again fishing is over.

BUT, if its a trolling tourney I would definitely say that motor powered yaks and pedal drive yaks have an advantage. In most cases you are gonna be able to cover more area than someone paddling. If your going after croaker, flounder, spot, WP, whatever this isn't a problem because you aren't really fishing while your moving, but while trolling your covering ground all the time.

So in short, if it's a Rock fish tourney, have different classes. But if its not trolling I don't care one way or the other. Yes I might hate on your motor powered or peddle powered yak but the only advantage you have on me is that you can get to the spot before I can!
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Is that to say that MYT catches more fish than Metro? Now there could be some opinions. Not being one to cause trouble, mind you.

Comment

Agree 100% with what Michael said. This group, for me, is about the camaraderie, making friends and shared fishing experiences. We've taken another step by organizing a local tournament specifically focused on kayak fishing. This is to further promote the sport, help build a bigger, better group, promote conservation of our beloved Chesapeake and contribute to charitable organizations. Personally, I couldn't care less about prizes. I value talking shop with like minded fisherman and sharing a couple beers after a day of fishing way, way more!

So on this subject it seems everyone agrees an electric, as does other types of craft, has advantages and disadvantages. Fishing skill is unrelated. One advantage mentioned by some already with an electric is increased range. If the wind and tide is against you then you're able to "get there" whereas a paddler may not. Because of that, I vote separate division.

BTW, not to stoke the flames further but Hobie Cat Corp classifies their products as MirageDrive Kayaks and MirageDrive Boats. Check their models list on the left side of their website: http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/ and product description: "Simply put, the Pro Angler is a no-nonsense fishing boat."

Hopefully taken in the spirit intended... Now, let's go fishing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                Agree 100% with what Michael said. This group, for me, is about the camaraderie, making friends and shared fishing experiences. We've taken another step by organizing a local tournament specifically focused on kayak fishing. This is to further promote the sport, help build a bigger, better group, promote conservation of our beloved Chesapeake and contribute to charitable organizations. Personally, I couldn't care less about prizes. I value talking shop with like minded fisherman and sharing a couple beers after a day of fishing way, way more!

So on this subject it seems everyone agrees an electric, as does other types of craft, has advantages and disadvantages. Fishing skill is unrelated. One advantage mentioned by some already with an electric is increased range. If the wind and tide is against you then you're able to "get there" whereas a paddler may not. Because of that, I vote separate division.

BTW, not to stoke the flames further but Hobie Cat Corp classifies their products as MirageDrive Kayaks and MirageDrive Boats. Check their models list on the left side of their website: http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/ and product description: "Simply put, the Pro Angler is a no-nonsense fishing boat."

I've always said the PA was listed as a boat ........... so it will probably not be allowed as a contender .........

Also, why does increased range matter when the total tournament range is only 5 miles

Comment

And just for sh*ts and giggles..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AL7FjWbB3k

Comment

You also have to rember the Big Game paddles like a barge, 34" wide, and the Torque is only 28" wide, which is much more hydro dynamic. Not that it really matters, if things continue as they are the EK category will soon be the majority.

Comment

Did you watch the video? He paced me then started to pull ahead....until he got tired LOL

I raced YakFisher in his hobie earlier this year on the Susky when we were hunting the YP. He beat me pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                        You also have to rember the Big Game paddles like a barge, 34" wide, and the Torque is only 28" wide, which is much more hydro dynamic. Not that it really matters, if things continue as they are the EK category will soon be the majority.
                        Yeah ....... well the PA is 38" ........... jets take off of it and drop my lures at strategic places ........... THAT's how I got that Catfish ......... and that's why I have an unfair advantage in the PA ....... Shhhhhhh ...... it's my secret weapon ......

Yep ......... by next year we will have to decide if we want to bar the purists (paddlers) from competing ....... in the name of building unity and Yakin brotherhood as proclaimed
                        Last edited by Memory Maker; 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                          Did you watch the video? He paced me then started to pull ahead....until he got tired LOL

I raced YakFisher in his hobie earlier this year on the Susky when we were hunting the YP. He beat me pretty easily.
                          My arms still burn! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post

BINGO^

all good natured rick, been in the wind and current and bow breakers too may times in big water not to see the bennies plus my wife says im loosing too much weight and my legs are too muscly! hell i'll put a lazyboy on the revo sit back and hit the remote and go might add a power pole too. JK

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                              I've always said the PA was listed as a boat ........... so it will probably not be allowed as a contender .........
                              So I did stoke the flames! Dang!

Also, why does increased range matter when the total tournament range is only 5 miles
                              You are correct, of course. It was more of a generalized comment. I believe people powered and motorized kayaks can all get along... just in different divisions as it relates to tournament competition.

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                              ... He paced me then started to pull ahead....until he got tired LOL
                              Wump, there it is, wump, there it is...

... if things continue as they are the EK category will soon be the majority.
                              It's in my future, for sure!

I don't know about ya'all kayakers, but I never run out of juice. My cooler is always full.
                              I try not to run out but I start draining mine around noonish...

... I'm too laid back to win any tournaments.
                              ....... by next year we will have to decide if we want to bar the purists (paddlers) from competing ....... in the name of building unity and Yakin brotherhood as proclaimed
                              I'm not really interested in prizes or competing, either. Some tournaments around the country are changing their formats to "jamborees"... big, giant meet & greets and eliminating the competition element. Raffles for prizes. Be interested in everyone's feedback on that...

Comment

I've fished in lots of tournaments- most had four places and hundreds of entries leaving a lot of folks out of the pictures- I quit tournament fishing when I sold my boat, but the big attractions of a tournament are the captains meeting and the weigh in's- usually at the captains meeting tournament tshirts and goodie bags are given to the captains and crews and there is a cookout with adult beverages- the weigh in is the big PR event-

I like the idea of a more social M&G over winners take all competition, although the biggest fish caught should be acknowledged and rewarded in some way. Especially, if there are lots of stripers caught that are the same length, weight, etc.

Our M&G fishing events are fun and I look forward to seeing the guys from the forum and the different kayaks- as far as human powered vs. electric power- personal preferences and differences are what makes the world go around- having a powered boat to get you where you want to fish is a lot easier than sweating with a double bladed paddle for hours on end, but it is a slippery slope in competition where a tiny advantage is all that separates winning from losing.
                                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                                X