Smallwood 3/12/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallwood 3/12/16

Today was a lot of fun to say the least. Best day on the bay since we moved here a year ago. Landed around 40 stripers, largest 21, average 16-17. I started at 7 and made a pass by White Rocks on the way out from Rivera Beach. Didn't have hit until about 8:30 after I moved over to Rock Point. It was one after another until I decided to leave around 11. Caught several trolling home, half in the shallows by Smallwood and the other half after crossing the channel back near Rivera Beach.

I fished with HobieMatt most of the morning, he did just as well. Later some other members arrived and started catching right away too. My hot baits were shallow minnows. I tried jigs at first with no luck, after 6-7 fished I switched to just minnows.

Now to find the bigger mommas!
    Last edited by silasvirus82; 03-12-2016, 08:53 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Sorry I missed you John. I got out there soon after you left for a quick 2 hour jaunt. Got 19, but a lot of little guys. There was one 24" in the mix within minutes of hitting the water, but then they shrank....
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice Bruce. I caught a few around 20, Matt did too, but nothing that big. I was hoping to find more 20-25, and bigger of course, but today wasn't the day.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Thanks for the report waiting for spring break for the kiddos then plan on getting out to smallwood.

Comment

I was one of those other members on the water at Smallwood yesterday. I made the 3+ hour drive from central PA to see what could be had and to introduce a friend to stripers and trolling for them by kayak. We don't have the experience or expertise of this group with this sort of thing, so we don't catch them quite like you all, but I think he was ruined by a day when even we could catch quite a few. Ours were also all 12-21 with most probably around 18. We also missed or lost a good number trolling barbless, single hook paddle tails. It sure didn't hurt so much to lose a few on a day like that though.

My friend was pretty amazed at how friendly those of you who we were able to talk to were and I expect to see him show up on this forum soon. I joined last spring and caught my first striper with the help of this group. We hope to make a M&G or two this year, hopefully beginning next month. This really is a special group.
          Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
          2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Hey guys, great fishing with everyone yesterday. What a fun day out there! A little cloudy but I think it helped the bite, the bite was very aggressive.

Also nice meeting the new guys out there , glad you all got some stripers with a little help from the forum.

I started fishing with deep diving raps, and wasn't getting any bites! And I was following right next to john who kept getting strikes?! He said hey man, I'm using a shallow diving yozuri minnow.....I quickly looked in my tackle box and luckily I had one in there!
            I quickly switched lures and then game on! Fish after fish.
            I tried several other hard baits in my tackle box on my other line and none were productive.

I also got to meet Scott Taylor out there with Bruce, and we stayed out till about 2. With the bite continuing throughout the day, until my legs and body were toast. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was in the area yesterday, heard lots of snaggedline chatter on channel 68. A few of us fished Smallwood last year around the same time, we still talk about that day! Constant action and good fun on a medium rod. We were catching the same class of fish, congrats on the good pullage
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Here's the lures John and I were using, same colors.

Comment

for those interested in what schoolie fishing is like. still a ton of a fun

Edit: same issue as my last video. I waited a half hour to make sure it posted, guess that wasn't enough. I'll fix it
                  Last edited by silasvirus82; 03-15-2016, 04:32 PM.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

The video is not working. On my mobile phone,, do you have a link to it?

Comment

John,

That's a very good day.

Congratulations.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Actually I think it is working, but will not play on a mobile device due to the song copyright. That's a new one on me.

https://youtu.be/Uca-ztLm-kI
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                        X