Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can one find the current regulations for kayaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can one find the current regulations for kayaks?

ive been up and down google but cant find the requirements for wearing pfd's. I know some of you always have them on but i like to have mine off.
    Native Watercraft Pro Staff
    2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
    33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
    2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

As long as you have it with you, you are legal.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/boating/Doc...ionvessels.pdf

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Don't know about kayaks but I did read that on the Potomac you've got to have a pfd on at all times. Though that may have been for the faster moving non tidal sections, again, not sure

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
        As long as you have it with you, you are legal.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/boating/Doc...ionvessels.pdf

Thanks buzz,

I read this but was not sure if the upper potomac was any different. Thanks

Comment

Nah. It's the same all over.
          Only kids are required to wear them.

Comment

I am sure that is regulated differently on a state-by-state basis. Here in the state of Nevada it is not required for non-motorized watercraft operators or passengers to wear a lifejacket. I can also tell you that in our Google+ kayak angling community,I usually post at least one dead kayaker news story a month, almost always with the PFD strapped to their boat. I will not fish with anyone who doesn't wear their PFD, but it is definitely a personal decision.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Comment

Upper Potomac (above Great Falls and tributaries):
              From November 15 thru May 15.
              A person aboard a vessel, raft, or tube must wear a U.S.C.G. Approved Type I,II, III, or V PFD

This is in addition to the class III,IV and VI White Water Stream segments, which require wearing a PFD. at all times.
              Knoxville Falls (class III)
              Great Falls to Chain Bridge (class IV)
              Great Falls area from the Aqueduct Dam to the area below Olmstead Island (class VI)

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                Upper Potomac (above Great Falls and tributaries):
                From November 15 thru May 15.
                A person aboard a vessel, raft, or tube must wear a U.S.C.G. Approved Type I,II, III, or V PFD
                Whoops. My bad.
                Apparently, one needs to read the entire document. Including the section marked Regulations For Specific Waters.

Comment

When fishing in the Chesapeake you need to have on the kayak. You do not need to wear it, but in all honesty, you should wear it at all times. If it is uncomfortable, I would consider an inflatable pfd because they are less restrictive. If you are struck by a boat or have a medical emergency that results in you being incapacitated, your pfd in the back of your kayak isn't going to do you any good. I am 30 years old and in great shape, but I still wear mine at all times. I didn't used to, but as I have grown older I think it is selfish not to. I feel the same way about a safety harness when I bow hunt. Sorry to sound preachy and I am not trying to offend you, but I think I speak for many of us on here when I say it absolutely sucks to see a news article about a kayaker who drown because something happened and they were not wearing their pfd.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by D3NAL1 View Post
                    ive been up and down google but cant find the requirements for wearing pfd's. I know some of you always have them on but i like to have mine off.
                    The easy answer here in St. Mary's county is to call the St Indigoes coast guard station...they always answer the phone. If you mention you are a local or a St Mary's College student they are pretty gracious with info.....
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                      When fishing in the Chesapeake you need to have on the kayak. You do not need to wear it, but in all honesty, you should wear it at all times. If it is uncomfortable, I would consider an inflatable pfd because they are less restrictive. If you are struck by a boat or have a medical emergency that results in you being incapacitated, your pfd in the back of your kayak isn't going to do you any good. I am 30 years old and in great shape, but I still wear mine at all times. I didn't used to, but as I have grown older I think it is selfish not to. I feel the same way about a safety harness when I bow hunt. Sorry to sound preachy and I am not trying to offend you, but I think I speak for many of us on here when I say it absolutely sucks to see a news article about a kayaker who drown because something happened and they were not wearing their pfd.
                      +1
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks guys, im debating going to the meet and greet tomorrow. Dont want to make anyone uncomfortable by not wearing my pfd.

Comment

Originally posted by D3NAL1 View Post
                          Thanks guys, im debating going to the meet and greet tomorrow. Dont want to make anyone uncomfortable by not wearing my pfd.
                          Hahadont be silly......take it leave the advice.
                          We even let guys fish with us that smoke, gamble and support the Cowboys

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Haha

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                              Whoops. My bad.
                              Apparently, one needs to read the entire document. Including the section marked Regulations For Specific Waters.

Please do and save yourself the ticket, the stuff you miss can really sting. They are pretty strict and very sneaky on the Upper Potomac. I've watched them spot tubers and kayakers with binoculars and cameras and ticket them down river at the takeout. You get a ticket also for not having a horn or bell when riding a bike on the C&O canal towpath. If only we could get the police the manpower, resources and this type of efficiency with warrants and criminals I'd sleep a little better at night..

Comment

Working...
                              X