Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can one find the current regulations for kayaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper potomac...grrrrr. got a $75 ticket for leaving my whistle on the front seat of the truck....gpt me just down river from point of rocks ....yes very sneaky up that way.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

My how things have changed

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by D3NAL1 View Post
        Thanks guys, im debating going to the meet and greet tomorrow. Dont want to make anyone uncomfortable by not wearing my pfd.
        Man I really hate to even get in the middle of this and I am in no way any kind of safety nut. Generally mind my own business and am against almost any kind of mandatory safety laws. Yet when I'm in that kayak I want that damn pfd on and even more so with others around and extra extra especially in cold water with others around. Got more than my own life in the mix if I do take a tumble. I'd really hate the thought of someone else having to put their self at risk if I would get my self in to a bad situation. Anyone with any kind of heart is going to try anything they can do to help and feel that I should at least make a little effort to make it easy on them if the need arises for some help.

Had a newcomer first trip out show up at Ft Armistead in a SINK not wearing a life vest. I was a little surprised at my own reaction in light of my feelings on being free to do as you please and I'll mind my own damn business. I got angry and maybe slightly rude with him and told him do as you please but if something would go bad I'm a little pissed and am going to hard pressed to feel any obligation to help. All the while knowing I most likely would have done anything to help and may have even put myself in jeopardy. Kind of scratch my back I'll scratch yours situation. Got him, me and my wife there and felt he was putting us all in sticky situation. I ain't the strongest guy or the best swimmer and really don't want to have to get into a rescue scenario of trying to pull someone onto an unstable kayak. I felt a little put upon. Do have to admit that thoughts along the lines oh well if he wants to risk it he can risk it on his own and I''ll make a radio call or something but put my safety as top priority. Then I'm back to being pissed again thinking great this guys willing to put me a spot that would entail some horrible choice as to keeping me and my wife safe or watching a man possibly die and living with the decision afterward. Still a little unclear on how I feel about it all.

No need for hard feelings, others can also do what they like and just expressing their thoughts on safety is nothing to take offence at. Go fishing at the M&G if you like it's a free country until enough people drown in kayaks and they pass a bunch of laws making life vests and all kind of stuff mandatory, maybe even classes and licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
          Upper potomac...grrrrr. got a $75 ticket for leaving my whistle on the front seat of the truck....gpt me just down river from point of rocks ....yes very sneaky up that way.

I think the PFD one is $80 if I remember right. The bike bell or horn I'm thinking $60.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
            I think the PFD one is $80 if I remember right. The bike bell or horn I'm thinking $60.
            i was so irratated because i always have my whistle......turned my gear inside out looking for it...which was alot of gear since we were kayak camping, no go. Took the ticket graciously since, indeed, i had no whistle. When i got to the truck and saw it sitting on the seat....I almost swore......well if the word dumbass is a swear word then maybe i did

Comment

i was so irratated because i always have my whistle......turned my gear inside out looking for it...which was alot of gear since we were kayak camping, no go. Took the ticket graciously since, indeed, i had no whistle. When i got to the truck and saw it sitting on the seat....I almost swore......well if the word dumbass is a swear word then maybe i did
              Clipped mine right to the PFD for just that reason. Now if I can just remember my paddle every trip I'll have it down pat.

Comment

i use an inflatable and love both my vision and front teeth so i dont clip anything to my pfd......i do keep it and my license in the yak 24/7 since that instance

like you i have forgot my paddle a couple times...luckily i fish with hobie guys, so there is always a paddle to borrow

Comment

That sucks, DNR got me without a whistle and gave me a warning and a free one.
                  PigPen - Mt Airy
                  Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I only get stopped by hungry, overworked, and otherwise uncomfortable officers of the law. No matter how polite I am, I usually get a real.ticket......in this case I think.they took my thorough search for.whistle as being intentionally difficult..hence, no mercy for me

Comment

Working...
                    X