DNR regs for catch-and-release season striper fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNR regs for catch-and-release season striper fishing

I want to remind everyone that from March 1 to April 15, anglers targeting striped bass must follow special DNR catch-and-release regulations. These are:

•Stinger (trailing) hooks are prohibited.
    •Barbless hooks are required when trolling.
    •Non-offset circle hooks or J hooks with a gap of less than ½ inch are required when using natural bait.
    •No more than 6 lines may be employed while trolling regardless of the number of anglers on board.

Some Snaggedline members have begun trolling for stripers, and have had good success. For those of us who do troll between now and April 15, it is important to remember to crush your barbs. I assume this applies equally to the treble hooks on crankbaits as well as for jigheads and bucktails. I am pretty good about crushing the barbs on lures already on my lines. But sometimes when I tie on a new lure, I forget. Please pay attention to these rules.

While on my soapbox, I also want to remind those who practice catch-and-release of any species to do your best to get the fish back into the water as quickly as possible. Often we are eager to measure a fish and/or take a photo. These are great memories, but don't make memories at the expense of the fish. Have your measuring board and camera handy so you can take care of business and get the fish back to swimming again.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Thanks John for the reminder and I pledge to limit myself to 6 rods for the time being......in seriousness, for any angler who has not had a barbed hook embedded in the flesh, I promise that you will thank yourself for taking the time to crush the barb when you inevitably join the "punctured club".....

I truly appreciate your shout out from the soap box. Some of the posts here point to a lack of regard, possible lack of understanding, and or respect for our resource. I hope that over time, more anglers will follow the example of ethical fishing that you adhere to....

tight lines!
    ST

Comment

Hi john Thanks for the reminder.
      Also Dnr was checking people today at fort Smallwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scott taylor View Post
        Thanks John for the reminder and I pledge to limit myself to 6 rods for the time being......in seriousness, for any angler who has not had a barbed hook embedded in the flesh, I promise that you will thank yourself for taking the time to crush the barb when you inevitably join the "punctured club".....

I truly appreciate your shout out from the soap box. Some of the posts here point to a lack of regard, possible lack of understanding, and or respect for our resource. I hope that over time, more anglers will follow the example of ethical fishing that you adhere to....

tight lines!
        ST
        +1

I have been check by DNR 3 times since the first of the year.
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Yep checked me today as well. Thank you again Bruce and John for the tips today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Zack
          Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
          "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! Don't know if I will get an opportunity to troll for stripers before the season starts, but if I do, I will certainly adhere to the regs. Do a lot of people paddle troll? I know it's a lot easier having your hands free with the pedals, seemingly.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
              Thanks for the tip! Don't know if I will get an opportunity to troll for stripers before the season starts, but if I do, I will certainly adhere to the regs. Do a lot of people paddle troll? I know it's a lot easier having your hands free with the pedals, seemingly.
              I (and many people) paddle troll. It does take some getting used to, but the right rod holders make it easier
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
              X