Yup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown View Post
      Last year at Conowingo on the last day of April I caught several Hickories and two very large American shad. The water was literally boiling with fish... but as suggested above I was snagging large Gizzard shad by the dozen- Several were 12-14 inches and nearly two pounds- A great fight. I really wanted to keep several to freeze and later use for cut bait/ cat fishing at Fletchers. But my understanding is that it is highly illegal to keep these Gizzard shad as well- I know you cannot keep or net any of the blue back herring etc...that come up swimming between your feet. But can you keep the Gizzard? Ironically the MD DNR pamphlet that you get with your fishing license mentions every other species than the Gizzard for these stated waters?- Can someone clarify?
      On the DNR site it states that there are no regulations regarding gizzard shad. They helpfully point out they aren't fit for human consumption. So keep all you want for bait.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Might be a dumb question on here, by why are yall trying to catch them? Arent they illegal to keep? Is it just a good fight? Ive never targeted any shad
        Native Watercraft Pro Staff
        2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
        33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
        2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by D3NAL1 View Post
          Might be a dumb question on here, by why are yall trying to catch them? Arent they illegal to keep? Is it just a good fight? Ive never targeted any shad
          Yea on UL tackle or fly gear it's a fun fight.

Zack
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Got it
            Native Watercraft Pro Staff
            2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
            33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
            2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

They are essentially mini tarpon....quick runs and jumps. A total blast on light tackle. Plus, when you find them in a good run you can catch them just about every cast.
              Green Old Town Loon 111
              Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

I've never fished for shad, but it sounds like lots of fun.
                Any tips on how to rig up my gear?
                Also, what's their preferred habitat - shallow? deep? weedy? rocky? etc...

-manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
                  I've never fished for shad, but it sounds like lots of fun.
                  Any tips on how to rig up my gear?
                  Also, what's their preferred habitat - shallow? deep? weedy? rocky? etc...
                  I'm certainly no expert, ultralight gear with shad darts is pretty cut and dry and I think what most tend to use. Find a nice spot and cast perpendicular to the river and let the dart swing into the current. I've always found them suspended so different weights will help, some even use a tandem shad dart rig and mess around with different colors.

A piece of info that I found helpful last time... if launching from Fletchers and cartopping. There is a low bridge passing with only about 7 foot clearance to the entrance of the larger boathouse parking lot. So if you're cartopping you'll have to park in the outside, satellite parking and walk up. Its a decent distance.
                  Last edited by jsnyd86; 03-14-2016, 10:20 AM.
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

I did okay last year with my UL setup. With 6lb line I could launch that shad dart. I didn't catch any hickories but I caught plenty of Americans around this size. So much fun

Zack
                    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

My shad set up is as follows:

I use a 7' light action rod and a 2500 series Shimano reel that is spooled with 10 pound Suffix Orange braid.
                      I use 10 pound test mono as my leader material.
                      You can go lighter, but you'll lose a lot of darts on the bottom, and have a problem when you get a double header, two fish on at once, in current.
                      The Suffix line is rated at 10 pounds, but actually breaks at 18.
                      I have used a 1000 series reel, but like the extra line capacity the 2500 offers.

I use some home made shad darts, 1/8 oz. and 1/16 oz. The weights are determined by the current speed and depth, but this is my starting point. The Susky tends to be shallower, the Potomac near Fletcher's Boathouse is deeper.

I prefer bright green chartreuse, sometimes bright pink is the hot ticket. The shad will let you know.
                      The darts are fished in a modified tandem rig. The lighter dart is on a longer leader, usually about 2 feet long, and the heavier dart is tied to a 12-18" leader.

I attach the leaders to a smallish split ring that is looped onto the braided line. I used to use a swivel, but this is not needed with braid. The braid is not as affected by line twist like mono is.

Shad like current and rocky areas and I try to find channels and funnels where the fish have to go thru to move upstream. I cast straight out at 90 degrees (casting upstream will get you hung on the bottom), and allow the lures to swing downstream. Then a steady retrieve. Most strikes happen as the lures straightens out or on the retrieve.

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg
                      Last edited by bignose; 03-14-2016, 01:09 PM.

Comment

That's a pretty dart collection. I've been tying flies but not very confident in my fly fishing skills.
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                          I'm certainly no expert, ultralight gear with shad darts is pretty cut and dry and I think what most tend to use. Find a nice spot and cast perpendicular to the river and let the dart swing into the current. I've always found them suspended so different weights will help, some even use a tandem shad dart rig and mess around with different colors.

A piece of info that I found helpful last time... if launching from Fletchers and cartopping. There is a low bridge passing with only about 7 foot clearance to the entrance of the larger boathouse parking lot. So if you're cartopping you'll have to park in the outside, satellite parking and walk up. Its a decent distance.
                          I wouldn't recommend ultralight fishing for them in the Susky. Tried it one year with six pound and if you get a nice fish or a double in the current you are not going to have a hard time to get them in. The things can fight and run like crazy. Had way to many fish I just couldn't get in and break off or that would snag me on something and break off. Especilaly shore fishing in a crowd. May be able to get away with it in a kayak but I'd say 10 lb is a safer bet. Nice fairly light whippy long rod but bust with some backbone can make up for some of the casting distance issues and you can go up a few lbs in line weight.

Comment

[QUOTE=sega;127297]I did okay last year with my UL setup. With 6lb line I could launch that shad dart. I didn't catch any hickories but I caught plenty of Americans around this size. So much fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Awesome pic of a pretty fish on a kayak...was that at Fletcher's? If so, what's your experience and feedback of navigating those deep waters with its current in April?

I've gone to Fletcher's during the busy shad run and have often thought how it would be like fishing for shad from my Hobie Revo 13. I keep hearing about how treacherous the Fletcher's area can be with high waters and current but then I also see folks out there in kayaks fishing fairly relaxed.

Would love to hear from folks who have tried this at Fletcher's.

Thanks.

Comment

Shad yet?

I've fished there from a kayak once. During a shad run That was maybe 4 years ago now. I was pretty inexperienced then and also used an anchor, which can get hung up pretty easily there.
                              I've heard of guys spilling but I think common sense prevails in most situations. If you need to go broadside do it quickly, if you use an anchor have a quick release. Don't get too close to chain bridge. The current is too fast to make it up there and turning around can get dicey.
                              Other than that it's excellent. Closer to the boat house people were vertical jigging WP. There's a good stretch between there and the bridge with calm water.

-Jon
                              Revo 13

Comment

I have fished from rowboat and shore many times at Fletchers. Plan on taking the Yak this year. There is NO reason to pull any heroics and go into the main channel. From the boathouse to 200 yards South there is a shallow shelf. Anchor here within casting distance of the channel. If they are peaking you will catch every few casts no matter where you are or cast. It is wise to pick your day based on water flow. I believe when Little Falls is 5+ feet they don't rent boats. You can get water flow and temp here... http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=01646500 Bring your UL rod and have a blast.
                                WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Working...
                                X