Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modified John Skinner Flounder Rig as all around all purpose rig. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified John Skinner Flounder Rig as all around all purpose rig. Thoughts?

Don't know if everybody is familiar with the Johns Skinner flounder rig but it can be seen here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KastgsmIFFI
    Nothing fancy just a bottom loop with a dropper loop above a foot above and I imagine many others can claim the rig as well.
    I had made a few for a trip to the shore last summer and they worked well for catching some flounder and sea trout on the trip.

Still having them on my rods and me being kind of lazy they stayed there for most the rest of the late summer into fall fishing. Found it to be nice all around rig and the two loops gave me many options. Worked well for casting, trolling & jigging.

Fished it with paddletails or bucktails on the bottom and a bare hook or jig head with Gulp mullet on the dropper. Rattle trap on the bottom also worked well and with a Gulp mullet on the dropper, I'd pick up some nice perch while the stripers would hit both both trolling and jigging. For just perch a top hook with gulp mullet and bottom jighead with gulp was a nice combination. Brought spoons into the mix on the bottom with just a hook with Gulp above and had hits from Stripers, blues and perch on both vertical jigging, trolling and casting. Easy enough to just remove the top rig and just fish a straight bucktail, paddletail or other lure on the bottom and having the little dropper loop in the line did not seem to effect my amount of hookups at all. Throw a weight on the bottom and a hook on the dropper you have a bottom rig. Lots of possibilities that should work with most any species with a simple rig.

Just thought it worked really well as an all around rig and wondering if anyone has any thoughts or does anything similar. I don't particular like the dropper loop above the main loop and do worry it could effect leader strength. Only downside I found is with some heavier leader it can be hard to pass the doubled line loop thought the eye of a jig, hook or lure and large lures that can't pass through the loop are not going to work.

I use a dropper ahead of my lure quite a bit, especially when I'm plugging from the beach. I'll use small soft plastics or a streamer as the teaser. I've never really tried it for trolling though.
    Brian

Comment

Check out the March issue of Saltwater Sportsman. They have an article on the versatility of a rig like this. The author championed its usefulness in NE and Southern waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
        Check out the March issue of Saltwater Sportsman. They have an article on the versatility of a rig like this. The author championed its usefulness in NE and Southern waters.
        Well maybe my laziness paid off and I'm onto something. Just found it really useful and found no downsides while fishing. I can see it even being brought over to freshwater, it's pretty much how I rig for shad. Worked really well on my trip to the VA shore. Had numerous fish on both the top and bottom loops fishing various plastics and gulp. Another bonus when trolling to get down a little deeper, instead of a bare hook on the top loop, throw a weighted jig head or small bucktail on.

Comment

Working...
        X