Potomac River Above Great Falls-7/10/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac River Above Great Falls-7/10/11

My 13 year old son was too lazy to ride over to the Potomac with me today, so I decided to take the kayak and launch at a spot above Great Falls that I have been wanting to fish. I launched around 5:15PM and I stopped fishing at 7:30 PM after catching this nice smallie. It is probably the biggest smallie I've ever caught. It was somewhere between 16 and 17 inches. It was a beautiful fish that fought hard. It was located behind a ledge in some oxygenated water. The fish hit a teaser tube and was hooked perfectly with a circle hook. It stripped drag a few times when it got near the kayak. It had one nice jump, but mostly stayed low. Definitely a quality fish. On this trip I also saw a muskrat, bald eagle, plenty of herons, and no other kayaks until I headed back towards the launch point, but they were drifting down river from another spot.

I caught about 5 other fish, 4 smallies and one sunfish. The next biggest smallie was 13 inches and fought well too. The paddle back to the ramp took about 40 minutes, so that was kinda lame, but it was a great trip. I need to get some longer shorts!

Great job on the bronze back. That is a pretty fish. The sunset pics are also very nice. Looks like you were on the water at the perfect time.

Where did you launch from? Did you drift down stream and paddle back up at the end of the day?

Comment

It sounds like the fishing was well worth the paddle back.

Comment

Nice pics. Where did you launch from? I typically have launched from rileys lock at the end of river road
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X