Shad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad

Wondering if anyone is interested in the Shad run. Cherry Blossoms will be blooming the end of this month and usually the shad come just before then... I think. Anyone know when they will be running? I'll be planning to hit Fletchers soon. Maybe Occoquan once they come in thick.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

I'll definitely be down at Fletchers chasing shad. Last yea was my first and it was awesome.
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I've only been once as well. That was a few years ago though. I keep meaning to make it but always get side tracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

I have been fishing for shad at Fletchers for the last couple of years, luckily I live a 10 minute drive form there
        The first shad was caught on march 22nd last year, so they start coming in then and get thick first 2 weeks of april, it's a lot of fun,
        but on sunny days it will get a bit crowded. Plus there is lots of perch and cats in there as well.

Ive never checked out the occoquan, and I'd like to explore there at some point.

-matt

Comment

Awesome, can't wait! Occoquan isn't as good, but they can get stacked up at near the damn if you head up river from the park launch. I think some guys like the 95 bridge too. Crappie aren't too hard to catch their as well. It's not too bad but it's local so I may hit that once or twice while they're in.

Originally posted by Hobie Matt View Post
          I have been fishing for shad at Fletchers for the last couple of years, luckily I live a 10 minute drive form there
          The first shad was caught on march 22nd last year, so they start coming in then and get thick first 2 weeks of april, it's a lot of fun,
          but on sunny days it will get a bit crowded. Plus there is lots of perch and cats in there as well.

Ive never checked out the occoquan, and I'd like to explore there at some point.

-matt
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

I use darts and spoons for shad fishing. I saw the west coast people use grubs. But it seems that east cost shad does not like grubs. Do you guys successfully use grubs?

By the way, shad is catch-and-release only. It is illegal to keep them for any purpose.

Comment

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/shadcam/
              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
              LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by Burker View Post
                I use darts and spoons for shad fishing. I saw the west coast people use grubs. But it seems that east cost shad does not like grubs. Do you guys successfully use grubs? .
                I've had my success from darts, but I am pretty sure Ive seen guys like Jeff Little pour a soft plastics for them. As long as you get it down to them and it resembles food I can't see them being that picky unless theyre hot on a certain color.
                -Jon
                Revo 13

Comment

I catch them with white, curly tail, grubs on small crappie jig heads. I use a swivel about 2 feet up from the hook and a bullet weight to get it down in the water column some. The shad don't seem to care if the grubs are white or lime green.

Comment

Here is my theory as to why Shad hit lures:
                    They do not feed on their spawning run.

A shad survives for 4-5 years in the hostile environment of the ocean, dodging predatory fish, seals, etc. only to arrive in a river with 3 million of his fellow shad, all with the same thing on their mind.
                    All female shad look the same, and they don't really care.
                    They get to have sex once a year, and may get 3-5 shots at reproducing in their lifetime.
                    They are in cold water.
                    Suddenly something green or white smacks you in the face.
                    You have no hands.
                    What are you gonna do?

Comment

Figured I would post this here instead of creating a new thread. I'm going to be fishing Fletchers Boathouse from kayak on Saturday morning and I should have a buddy with me. We have matching Revo 13's so we shouldn't be hard to spot. Shad shouldn't be hard to find, but if they're aren't biting I'll be chasing smallmouth, WP and maaaaaaybe catfish If I'm desperate for a bite.

Maybe I'll see a few of you out there! Its shaping up to be a great day so far.
                      -Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                        Figured I would post this here instead of creating a new thread. I'm going to be fishing Fletchers Boathouse from kayak on Saturday morning and I should have a buddy with me. We have matching Revo 13's so we shouldn't be hard to spot. Shad shouldn't be hard to find, but if they're aren't biting I'll be chasing smallmouth, WP and maaaaaaybe catfish If I'm desperate for a bite.

Maybe I'll see a few of you out there! Its shaping up to be a great day so far.
                        How'd it go? Trying to figure out whether I should put my efforts into trying out Fletcher's or just going to Occoquan this Wednesday since it's 5 minutes away from my house.
                        Nikki

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
                        Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14

Comment

I'm very close to occoquan myself. I posted pics in the MD thread titled Shad since there was more activity there, but I had a great time. The Shad are in pretty thick and it's only getting better. I caught a few Shad and then switched to fishing for striper. Managed a 24" striper and 28" blue cat before the bite died off. It seemed the most action was near the tail end of outgoing tide. And then once the tide started coming back in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -Jon
                          Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                          X