Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Charger

Looking for some help

I currently run the trickle charger from Harbor freight, but realizing it charges at .4 amps per hour

What are some of you guys running to charge your batteries ???

I have a 9amphour battery, would a 1.5 amp hour charger from Black and Decker be to much?

The current charger i have takes about 20+ hours to fully charge my battery which currently is 7.2 Amh but im upgrading

* also a side not, i did order the hobie battery kit version III with the 9ah battery. Has anyone used this set up yet? My biggest question is what is the charging rate on that charger that comes with the kit ?

Thanks guys!!
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Battery Charger

I really like my CTEK MUS 4.3. It has treated my trolling motor battery very well... restored the battery from a Die Hard Portable Power Pack... and brought my friend's car battery back to life.

BTW - Mopar rebrands the CTEK with their M logo and sells it for 50% more in their parts shop.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I use a 4 amp charger for my LiFePo battery. Chargers aren't expensive, check online. Make sure to get one that will shut off automatically.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I have this charger. Has a ton of features.. it desulfates (that is apparently real important as it is all over their product pamplet). Mostly it will maintian the battery so I can just leave my battery on the charger and it will not destroy it.
        http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-...attery+charger
        People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Most batteries like to be charged at 10% of their capacity. That said, I use a 1.5 amp maintainer type charger made by Battery Minder (model 1500) on my small lead acid AGM batteries with no ill effect. These chargers aren't cheap but they can be used on kayak batteries, trolling motor batteries and auto batteries. Since I started using these chargers, my batteries last longer.

Regards,

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I luv my NOCO GENIUS G3500. Brought a completely dead battery back to life, whereas jumping and another charger didn't. Pleased with the Product.

Comment

Schumaker Speed Charger 1.5amp. It has an internal monitor that switches to float charge at full charge. Fairly cheap, seems to do the job and gets good reviews.
              Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

My Daughter got the ravovac 6v/12v charger at walmart for her deer feeder battery. I just clip it to me SLA batteries and it charges them just fine. Light it solid when charging and it blinks when it changes to trickle charge.

Should be back in stock around hunting season or you can look elsewere.
                http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-LA...arger/26542101
                "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

You have a charger that charges 0.4 amps (400 ma).

If your battery holds 9 amp hours, it'll take over 22 hours to fully charge (assuming your battery was fully discharged at the start).
                  9/0.4 = 22.5 hrs

If you use a charger at 1.5 amps, it'll take 6 hrs.
                  9/1.5 = 6 hrs

Generally speaking, slower charge rate is best for battery life. Higher rates build up heat in the battery; not good for battery life.

When you buy a battery of that size, sometimes they give you a charger. The charger is usually about 500 ma. I personally use smaller charge rates because I'm not in a rush.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

A 10% of capacity charge is usually considered the best for long term battery life. Additionally, you should not let the battery discharge below 50% of capacity between charges to get a longer life span.

While folks who only use 5 to 7 amp batteries for fishfinders don't worry about battery costs, when you are using large batteries for trolling motors they get costly fast.

John
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                    X