Sunday Feb 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Feb 28

I just found out that Im off work this Sunday and its supposed to be Nice weather for Sunday. Looking to get the Yak wet. Anybody have the same itching to get out that I do?? Looking at anywhere within a hour of Annapolis. Or Baltimore.
    Tom Brown
    Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
    2012 Hobie PA 14'
    Ocean Kayak Tident 13
    2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

I'm looking for some perch or stripers tomorrow, kayak is loaded. Thinking either the Severn or Magothy.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but just curious on the fishing in Feb. Do you guys use any special gear (e.g., dry suit, wet suit, etc.) to keep warm if you fall in?

I just started kayak fishing last year and I've been interested in fishing sooner than later but not sure how dangerous it would be without the gear.

thanks
      Hobie Pro Angler 14' (that I can barely get on my car)
      Lowrance Elite 5 Chirp (that I can't quite figure out how to use)

Comment

Originally posted by PatB View Post
        Hi, I'm new to this forum, but just curious on the fishing in Feb. Do you guys use any special gear (e.g., dry suit, wet suit, etc.) to keep warm if you fall in?

I just started kayak fishing last year and I've been interested in fishing sooner than later but not sure how dangerous it would be without the gear.

thanks
        The bay temps are 35 degrees. If you did not have protective gear and fell in, your situation would be quite dire unfortunately. I see guys risk it, but we lost another two on the Severn a month or so ago. Always wear a pfd for sure.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I'll be out on the Occoquan reservoir tomorrow. It's supposed to be beautiful.

No wetsuit/drysuits for me, but the res is quite different than the Severn.
          I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Garmin Echomap 93sv
          RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Gotcha, that's what I thought.
            Hobie Pro Angler 14' (that I can barely get on my car)
            Lowrance Elite 5 Chirp (that I can't quite figure out how to use)

Comment

Originally posted by PatB View Post
              Gotcha, that's what I thought.
              http://youtu.be/DtgYP3Xrhdo

Take a look at that video. Gives you a good idea of what to expect with different cold water outfits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Zack
              Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
              "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Interesting video. Maybe I didn't need that dry suit after all.

Comment

Very good video. Also, I think that the dry top with waders, and 2 belts is the best option, assuming there's no wetsuit or real protection apart from normal clothing beneath the dry suit. If the dry suit fails, and some do catastrophically, then you're just wearing a big balloon that would be difficult to get out of, whereas if the waders failed, you'd still have the dry top on, or vice versa (waders and wetsuits typically have a lower failure rate than drysuits, especially diving ones). But a really good thing to do, if you have access to a pool or any protected area really, when it's warm, practice turtling your kayak, or falling off, tipping it, etc enough so it's not absolute panic mode if something should happen. And there's safety in numbers, I wouldn't dive alone, and I don't plan on ever kayaking on cold water alone, be it tidal or nontidal. Hell, I don't plan on ever kayaking in tidal or fast moving water alone, and someone that's not with me will always know where I'm going, and how long I expect to be out.

Comment

Yesterday the boating conditions were far nicer than the fishing conditions. Even if the fish could see the lures in the muddy brown water, they didn't seem too hungry. I was reading water temperatures of 43 degrees.

In the next couple of weeks I'll pick up some waders. If nothing, they'll make launching/beaching the yak in cold weather easier. Going out with some common sense in your pocket is always your best bet.

I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    Garmin Echomap 93sv
                    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I think for me, staying close to shore when the temps are lower than 120 (combined water and air) is key. I have waders and a splash top with good under gear. I am not, however, sure I can get back into my Yak in a timely fashion. That is why if I am alone, or in cold weather, I stay fairly near the shore.. no traveling out to the light house for me that time of year.
                      People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

once wet the waders retain a lil water in the neoprene they will continue to cool ur body temp.. its best to still avoid cold water in my experience
                        Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
                        Yesterday the boating conditions were far nicer than the fishing conditions. Even if the fish could see the lures in the muddy brown water, they didn't seem too hungry. I was reading water temperatures of 43 degrees.

In the next couple of weeks I'll pick up some waders. If nothing, they'll make launching/beaching the yak in cold weather easier. Going out with some common sense in your pocket is always your best bet.

2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Ill tell you from experience I will not go out in cold water with anything less than waders and a dry top. A dry suit would be better but at my size its a custom option only and out of my price range. I used to go out with just waders and a splash jacket, I never turtled but coming into ft armistead in ice i got out to brake the skim ice to bring my yak in and slipped on the ramp. Had I turtled that day in deeper water I would have been in trouble.
                          D Hawk
                          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I have waders and dry top. Tested it out this past fall. I floated and splashed around for 10 minutes. I ended up with about 3 cups of water in the waders. Enough to feel comfortable centering Yak.

WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

neoprene with a cinch belt?

Originally posted by WOOD YAK View Post
                              I have waders and dry top. Tested it out this past fall. I floated and splashed around for 10 minutes. I ended up with about 3 cups of water in the waders. Enough to feel comfortable centering Yak.

2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                              LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                              X