March meet and greet...Potomac Blue Cats at Marshall Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March meet and greet...Potomac Blue Cats at Marshall Hall

Sorry to be so late in getting this started, but I was hoping that the warm Winter would mean catfish showing early at Bushwood or St Clements creek .....but as we all know, winter made up for lost time and those spots will likely not hold catfish by the 12th.

Therefore, we'll hold the March meet and greet at Marshall Hall, the most reliable and accessible free launch blue cat spot down here in So. Md, just as we did last year. We will also have lunch at Accokeek Seafood again.....the guys that ate there last year liked it and it is very affordable...of course I had to pay off my Super Bpwl bet there. Kitkat got a nice treat, thanks to Pete Carrol!!!!

We'll launch at 9Am. I'll post local, bait and other info Seperately.....so who's in??
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

What you'll need-
    -cold weather gear
    -large hooks, many guys use circles, but bring a variety. This stretch has white and channle cats as well as blues so if you are losing baits, size down
    -a variety of bait. Last year chicken was best and worms second best, but in the past they have preferred venison trimmings, chicken or goose liver and menhedden. If you bring a small perching rod you can sometimes catch white perch, but dont count on it. Guys often share baits
    -non tumbling weights. A sinker that doesn't tumble really helps if you end up fishing on a hard sand bottom, of which there is plenty in this stretch of the Potomac.Go ahead and bring bank sinkers or egg sinkers, but have a flat or pyramid sinker option available

Highly recommended items--
    - an anchor....i have caught fish here without one, but have much higher success with an anchor
    -something to float your bait a bit off the bottom. Sometimes they want it right on the bottom, but Bill and I have more success with a small in line bobber or spin-n-glo above the hook
    -good pliers. getting hooks out in the cold is a difficult task. I usually bring heavier pliers than I carry in the summer

Comment

typical winter cat trip pictures

Comment

Comment

Count me in for the fishing. But I won't be able to make lunch.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
            Count me in for the fishing. But I won't be able to make lunch.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
            gotcha

Comment

Here is my revised Marshall Hall winter catfish map. The white circled areas are where we predominantly fish in the cold weather months. The yellow "Spray" shows the shallower than usual area where Rockchaser "Catfish Jim" found fish last year with his magic chicken tenders
              The brown "spray" shows an area Ictalarus and I explored this year that we think would be great...lots of submerged wood close to a deep channel

Comment

So here are confirmed attendees, I'll up date

Suicydrider
                kevinfry +1(son)
                Buzz
                Rockchaser aka catfish Jim
                mmcray44
                ictalarus
                ronaultmtd
                D3nal1
                EchoOscar
                Ken Kayak
                Barefoot
                Cryptotek
                Yakscientist+1
                DonV +1 (Jambone??)
                Salty Dog
                yakhooker
                patsmith
                mikemike
                Redfish12
                Yak67
                Qdawgyaker
                moc (lunch only)
                yakcapn
                Kitkatyaker
                j.a.veil (lunch only)
                Last edited by kevinfry; 03-08-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Really happy to have Rockchaser coming to the M&G. He has caught more Potomac cats than anyone I know. He is a great source of info and a friendly guy so if you are new to this kind of fishing, he'll be willing to help guys out. Should be great!

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                    What you'll need-
                    -cold weather gear
                    -large hooks, many guys use circles, but bring a variety. This stretch has white and channle cats as well as blues so if you are losing baits, size down
                    -a variety of bait. Last year chicken was best and worms second best, but in the past they have preferred venison trimmings, chicken or goose liver and menhedden. If you bring a small perching rod you can sometimes catch white perch, but dont count on it. Guys often share baits
                    -non tumbling weights. A sinker that doesn't tumble really helps if you end up fishing on a hard sand bottom, of which there is plenty in this stretch of the Potomac.Go ahead and bring bank sinkers or egg sinkers, but have a flat or pyramid sinker option available

Highly recommended items--
                    - an anchor....i have caught fish here without one, but have much higher success with an anchor
                    -something to float your bait a bit off the bottom. Sometimes they want it right on the bottom, but Bill and I have more success with a small in line bobber or spin-n-glo above the hook
                    -good pliers. getting hooks out in the cold is a difficult task. I usually bring heavier pliers than I carry in the summer
                    Kevin,
                    I am interested in this M&G but I have never specifically targeted catfish before so forgive me if I ask a lot of questions. By non tumbling weight do you mean the sinkers that have spikes sticking out of them? I will look online for additional rigging options or you have any videos you would like to share I would appreciate it.
                    New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

I mean pyramid sinkers or "silver dollar" sinkers.....no need for the real grippers

I'll take a pic of some rig options, maybe later today

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                        I mean pyramid sinkers or "silver dollar" sinkers.....no need for the real grippers

I'll take a pic of some rig options, maybe later today
                        OK, Thank you.

Comment

ok here is the post of my rigs.
                          Note:I use spin-N-glo bobbers but any will do..... I vary length of leader according to strength of current,stronger the current the longer the leader....hook size correlates to size of bait....many guys use high-low rigs, which can get baits into same spot in water column. I use bobbers for movement and attraction.

Comment

Kevin,
                            OK great! Thank you for the information. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Im in. Not sure about lunch, yet. Depending if im catching bigger cats
                              Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                              2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                              33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                              2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Working...
                              X