Expoliring maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expoliring maryland

I really want to get into some new kinds of fishing this year and have fished enough to know that it is a matter of putting time in to a place to get to know it.

Here are the two places I think I am gonna take a look at and make some trips (I live in wheaton Md) My personal preference is to travel a little farther to get away from people. I live in wheaton, Maryland---right outside the beltway. Any comments, advice or suggestions or if anyone wants to come along that would be great.

Tuckahoe Creek-I want to sneak out and check the pickerel fishing soon and figure out a strategy for the perch and especially the shad. I love fishing for shad in the Potomac at fletchers but it is getting pretty crowded and I would really like to fish for shad in a smaller stream. Also Tuckahoe seems like a really pretty area with multiple kinds of options-cabins-tent camping. etc.

Janes island State Park-a little farther but it seems like a ton of good structure and I would really like to be able to get my saltwater inshore fix within driving distance. I know the bugs are world famous here but it seems worth the hassle. Cabins, backcountry tent camping, etc.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks, Sam

Both are lovely areas.

Tuckahoe is a little gem that is within a very reasonable driving distance. Camped last spring at the State Park and had a blast. Stayed in the cabins the year before and if I remember correctly about $50 a night.
    Actually did better fishing from shore at the spillway than we did in the kayaks. Don't have much experience with the lake or creek and will hope others that do can fill you in with better advice. Personally caught mostly crappie from the lake with a few bass and pike thrown in here and there, from the spillway crappie and shad. There is a hike in area down river from the park, am not sure of the name Fisheman Bridge? or something along those lines, where we also caught some pike and bass. Have never fished the creek targeting shad but the yellow perch will be running soon and you may see some of those crowds you are trying to stay away from. Still way better then this side of the bay.

Only been to Janes Island once and want to get back desperately. Stunningly beautiful and great kayaking area. Trip in the fall would most likely be your best bet. Give the bugs a chance to die down and prime rock and drum fishing time. There may be some spring action going on that I'm not aware of and I leave that also to others that know more than me.

I'm going to tease you a little with some pictures, both parks are well run, clean, fairly uncrowded, and just in great locations, get to them when you can. Another area you may like if you like getting away from it all is the Blackwater refuge and surrounding area. Lot closer than Janes Island and some great kayaking access and areas. May be a beeter area for shad than Tuckahoe.
    2013-09-07-080940.jpg2013-09-08-004512.jpg2013-09-08-004821.jpg2015-04-17-185021.jpg

The white beach is the north side of Janes Island and the sunset is in the central bay. Should be able tofind both easily in Google Earth.

Comment

Tuckahoe is a great place I do a fair amount of yellow perch fishing there when they are running and small pickeral seem to be every where along the river.
      D Hawk
      Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
      Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I like Janes Island and fish there from time to time. If you are willing to paddle a little ways take a right (north) from the campground and fish out around the sod banks to the north. I've never caught a lot of quality but there are usually plenty of dink stripers, croaker and white perch around in the summer. Could even be some specs and reds around depending. Those green flies and mosquitos can be rough but long sleeves and pants will handle the majority. Just watch the tides when you are exploring back in the channels running through the island, if you get way back in there at the end of an outgoing you might be dragging your yak or waiting a while.

Chimo

Comment

You may also want to consider Mattawoman Creek. I cut my teeth kayak fishing there and have been rewarded with bass and snakeheads. Others have had luck with shad and catfish. Its also fairly scenic, eagles, beaver and other critters are not an unusual sight.

Comment

I highly recommend getting the MD State Park Passport so you truly explore all the state parks in MD w/o paying the admission fee, plus you get discounted camping & park store purchases. Janes Island SP is especially gorgeous. I encountered an old crab pot partly buried in sand w/o the required turtle escape devices. It was loaded w/ terrapins. I enlisted help from a scoutmaster whose troop was practicing kayak rollover & recovery. With the scouts' help all the terrapins were rescued.

Comment

In addition to the places you mention you might consider Point Lookout State Park if you want a place that has camping with the fishing options. It has a big estuary called Lake Conley that offers shelter if it's too windy to hit the big water and access to both the lower Potomac and the main bay. Also a good place to hit some of the other launches in lower St Mary's. It does get a little crowded on weekends in the summer but in spring and fall it is lightly used.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for all these thoughtful comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

These will give me enough new water to chew on this year. I will keep folks posted with trip reports.

Comment

+1 on the MD State Park Passport.

I bought one for the first time last year and used the heck out of it. By June it had already paid for itself.
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I've camped/cabined at Janes a couple of times in the last couple years; once in June and then mid-October this past year. Janes is great if you love marsh, and birds. The June trip the deer flies were awful, but the Oct trip was great as the bugs weren't a factor.

The last trip, my brother and I took a side trip east and made our way over to the mouth of the Pocomoke River. There are a couple of apple orchards in that area that sell retail, and Oct is the perfect time of the year to stock up on pick your own apples, as well as freshly pressed cider.

if you can find a spot to launch on the Pocomoke, there is some great water to explore there too. Crabbing is excellent there as well.

Comment

Hey thanks a lot! I was headed to the Tuckahoe today but those rains last night-jeez. The creek exceeded its HISTORICAL all-time high a couple hours ago. Man, global waking is tough.

Comment

Comment

I don't know about camping there but Martinak State Park on rt. 404 east of Denton is on Watts Creek. They have a boat ramp and the creek is is similar to Tuckahoe and Marshybhope.

Comment

Lower Potomac, a few miles up from Point Lookout is consistent in season with some variety at times. Easy and convenient launch points.

md1.jpgmd2.jpgmd31.jpg
                              Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                              Predator 13

Comment

Working...
                              X