No announcement yet.

A Matter of Weight – A Few Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being one of only a few women who fish regularly in this group, this is a topic that has been constantly on my mind. I sold my Hobie Pro Angler just for this reason; even though it had a Trailex trailer to match it. It was just too heavy. Now that I have two Outbacks, and am aging(seems faster every day) getting those on top of my Jeep is getting tougher for me too. I was looking at the Rhino Kayak Lifter, but at almost $700.00 plus tax it was too pricey. I have decided to purchase the Rhino T-Loader at half the cost. Even that is too high, but my back and the backs of the guys I normally fish with are worth the expense to me. Like I said, I am aging more and more each day. I know that someone out there can make something DIY but I can't afford to wait. I have been trolling other kayak sites from here to California looking for opinions of other female kayakers in particular and found that many of the guys are using them more and more too. I just ordered mine yesterday as a matter of fact; the ball mount type. I first saw them four years ago in Austrailia but they hadn't come to the US yet. Now they are everywhere. Check them out on Youtube. Just my $.02
    2015 Outback
    2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by kitkatyaker View Post
      Being one of only a few women who fish regularly in this group, this is a topic that has been constantly on my mind.
      Thank you for the feminine perspective. It's not just older men who confront his matter.

I had never seen the Rhino T-Loader. That's a good back saver. It's similar in function to my Yakima Showboat Kayak Loader but clearly has more lifting power thanks to its pivoting motion.

There are days when getting just the front of my boat to my roller can be taxing. But a roller system is a great help in car-topping.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

When I talk to my fellow kayakers who enjoy their carbon fiber boats they talk about them being 35 lbs or so but way expensive. I've been considering making my own based on a Native hull design adapted to to use CLC building techniques. This comes at a considerable cost. For the folks looking for lighter boats but still able to support peddle type drives would $3K be too much? I have to think there is a way to borrow from how surf boards are built or some of these other light craft but still have the advantages of a SOT. But this will likely come at a higher cost in labor and materials or less hull storage. I saw a picture of a CLC SOT with a foot well to fit a hobie peddle system but never saw a review on how it performed. The native system might be easier to adapt to another hull since it spreads the weight out wider along the yak hull.
        PigPen - Mt Airy
        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I just saw this kayak build for a fiberglass SOT. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=228488

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
          PigPen - Mt Airy
          Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

This http://www.headwaterskayak.com/stealth-kayaks.html

These guys in N. California are the only US importers I can find. I would love to demo these. I'm a 5'3" tall female getting to that age when all of my active life is catching up with me... I'm looking for something a little lighter than my current 16.6ft., 21.5" beam, 57lb. boat. I'm a paddler who loves to fish. Not to mention that my 2014 Forester is taller than my old 2002 Forester.

Or this... http://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v6 I demoed one of these and loved it except that it doesn't fit me. I'm too short. They just made this boat... which might work... http://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v5. They just sold out the stock they have of the V5 so I'll have to wait to demo it.

I went to the demo days at EMS and ACK mothers day weekend... they both carry Hurricane but neither had the skimmer available for me to demo.

I'm looking for recommendations for boats to look at... preferably a sub 50lb. boat that paddles well ... but still allows me to cast a rod. I'll also take recommendations for places I can demo these boats within a reasonable distance of Annapolis, Md.

Comment

Those are beautiful boats in your links but they look more suited for racing and touring than fishing.

If you want to get under the 50 pound ceiling you can with a 49 pound Ultimate 12 by Native Watercraft.

http://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12/

It's sleek compared to most fishing kayaks but looks like a tug boat compared to the missiles in your links.

It paddles easily, tracks strait and is very stable for fishing.

I can meet you in Annapolis if you'd like to demo it.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

As one of the "senior" members of the forum who turned 70 this year with joint issues and back issues from years of heavy lifting- I am very mindful of the weight of my Outback- I never lift the full weight of the yak- and I use lifting techniques and a kayak cart- anyone can hurt your self lifting improperly- and I have a Ford Ranger 4X4 pickup truck that makes loading and unloading much, much easier...
                Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-18-2016, 08:36 AM.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I currently transport my kayaks with a trailer and that has been great. My next vehicle will be a used pickup truck and I'll use that to transport my kayaks instead. There are many places that using a pickup truck would be simpler than using a trailer and like Mr. Veil said, some places don't allow them so I'm missing out.

Comment

Hi One thing you should be carfull of is that many kayaks listed weight are bare hall only and the actual weight is much higher . my K12 is one of the most stable and light weight fishing specific kayak made . It would be worth your time to find the closest dealer and make the drive to test paddle one . My eady line Caribbean is much better for open water and longer trips and not a bad fishing rig . The K12 is very open , stable and will handle 400 lb. +. Good luck and good fishing .

Comment

Last summer Native Watercraft and Hurricane Kayaks merged. They continue to produce separate product lines but are also collaborating on new designs. I have not been privy to exactly what is going on, but have heard that some new models are likely to be introduced during this summer's I-Cast show. They would incorporate the lighter thermoforming process used by Hurricane with the unique fishing kayak designs developed by Native. I am eager to see the new models. Stay tuned for additional light-weight fishing kayak models.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

If you want to talk light kayak….I seem to always get the same reaction when I bring this up, but I have a 12ft, 33 inch width Walker Bay Airis Angler inflatable kayak. Weight is 38 lbs. I originally bought it so my wife could carry it to the water, but I use it all of the time. It does come with an aluminum gear mount platform that has rod holders. I have not gone crazy and added anything to it because I can see a Revo in my future.

It deflates and rolls into a backpack that I have carried all kinds of places. It is really simple to inflate/deflate. Very sturdy & takes a beating with no issues over the last few years. The only drawback is the added stability does make it a challenge to paddle in rough windy conditions. Just more of a workout, but if you want something light…….Go ahead scoff, tell me that it is not a real kayak, mock the notion of an inflatable, but have you ever tired one? Thanks, Dave

FYI - I would be interested to hear opinions against an inflatable besides a tragic incident of sinking due to a cut etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kidrockfish View Post
                          FYI - I would be interested to hear opinions against an inflatable besides a tragic incident of sinking due to a cut etc.
                          Sounds like a viable option for some.

I saw an inflatable at Jonas a few weeks ago.

It served its purpose and got the angler on the water.

At 38 pounds your inflatable is certainly light enough.

But I think I'd prefer a heavier non-inflatable boat (within reason) that maintains stability and ease of paddling in emergent weather.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite/3..._gLig#393RLK_P
                            The sea eagle razor light is a all drop stitch inflatable at only 28lbs but is suppose to have a hard shell feel. Never seen one but looks like a neat idea for compact cars

But in my opinion id go with a ocean kayak prowler 13. Yes its a wet boat but scupper plugs solve that. Im sure there is a dealer that would have one to test ride. O.k. says its only 56 lbs and it will take a beating. Might replace my tarpon next year.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by lovett88; 05-18-2016, 01:13 PM.
                            Tan-Tarpon 140
                            Lime-Pelican Matrix
                            Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

I really appreciate the offer Mark..... but I'm truly looking for a kayak (first) I can fish from (second).... a little more stability than I currently have yes.... but I don't need or think I want to be able to stand in it. I live right off the bay in annapolis.... I need good boat performance in chop and some current with boat traffic that puts a smile on my face while paddling. I'm a minimalist when it comes to fishing... 1 rod... some basic tackle.... and sometimes fresh bait.

John... you just peaked my interest enough to make me wait a little while longer to see what Native/Hurricane comes up with. I'm thinking about trying to rig some sponsons on my yak for fishing while I figure out what my next boat will be.

Great conversation guys.... FYI... the Stealths are fishing skis (although expensive and not readily available)... and the Epic boats weights are for the complete boat.

Comment

No problem!

Good luck.
                                Mark
                                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                                X