No announcement yet.

A Matter of Weight – A Few Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great info from all sides. My son has the 13 ft slayer he bought from J. Veil. I soon followed when I purchased a 10 ft slayer from Del. Paddle sports, who were great! I was surprised how easy it was to get home and unload solo on some saw horses. I purchased a lift from Dick's for $30 and works great after working which side to install. The bad news is we have not launched the kayaks due to weather and other more important activities and issues. Hoping to get out soon.

Dan Sr
    Native Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Never having really seen an ocean kayak up close before this might be an obvious question, but what would keep one from mounting a single rod holder on one? I could see something like this Hobie mount working:

A tackle box could be mounted with magnets. A series of strong rare earth magnets could be mounted inside the hull and on the inside of a plano box. If the pull force is strong enough it would hold securely through both the hull and the box. I have ordered stuff from "https://www.kjmagnetics.com/" a few time for work, they carry some scary-strong magnets.
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

At 68 years old with pretty bad knees and having to be careful of my back I kind of went the other way going from a 55lb kayak to a 96lb kayak undressed that I roof top (I'd hate to guess what it is fully dressed out). Granted the added weight doesn't mean I can dead lift it entirely but I can lift the front portion to rest on the back top of my Chevy Tracker and use proper lift technique using mostly my legs to slide my kayak until I reach the balance point making it easier to slide it the rest of the way. I do use a cart which makes transporting it to and from the water a lot easier. I keep the cart on my kayak and slide the cart under it while in the water cinching it making it easier to bring it out, unless I am in a place that doesn't make that feasible. I am awaiting a C tug cart, I have seen others turn it upside down to use the wheels as an aide in loading so I may give that a try. I considered getting the Rhino lift but then I would have to remove it every time I need to open the back door, the Hellavator I don't see as a viable solution for my kayak, nor do I wish as yet to trailer it cutting my parking options plus I live in a townhouse with no place to store one. I can definitely see and agree how for some, especially most ladies, the need for a lighter kayak is there. Sure my heavier kayak is a somewhat pita but I personally find the added weight does help in the less than desirable conditions I have and still encounter. For me if I need to change anything I'll go from and suv to a p/u

Comment

I'm curious if anyone fishes out of a Hobie Revo 11? It's both small and light. I have a PA 12 that I load with help of a Rhino rack T-loader but it's way up there on a minivan. I also need to use a ladder. I'm managing but it's a struggle.

Comment

I don't have an 11 but I do have a Revo 13. I bought it mainly because of its weight, somewhere between 60 and 65 pounds. I don't know what the new ones weigh. As I recall the 11 is indeed lighter but its carrying capacity is also 75 pounds less than the 13. That's why I steered away from it. If you can get a PA 12 on your mini-van's roof, you can surely get a Revo 13 on it. I carry mine on a mini-van roof. I use a roller for assistance but I have no trouble lifting it to the roller. Lifting help is always welcome, however, when I am fishing with others.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

There is no perfect boat...everything you change effects other things. Unfortunately at this point we cant have our cake and eat it too.

Comment

At some point I need to do a comprehensive write-up of the difficulties associated with trailering a kayak. It's definitely easy on your back, but going the trailer-route buys you into a whole different set of problems that you probably didn't have before.

I'd suggest the benefits of a trailer--which are significant, mind you--are offset somewhat once you start factoring the hassle involved with trailering something.
                I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                Garmin Echomap 93sv
                RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

To me the biggest detriment to trailering would be the access to the water that would denied to me, especially in Anne Arundel County where my favorite launch site, Jonas Green, does not allow trailers.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark,
                    Nice article, I agree with everything you wrote about. Hopefully this thread will attract the attention of the manufactures. L
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      To me the biggest detriment to trailering would be the access to the water that would denied to me, especially in Anne Arundel County where my favorite launch site, Jonas Green, does not allow trailers.
                      Frankly, I think you're just getting started.

In terms of cost, you have the hitch, hitch receiver and ball mount to purchase and service. Your trailer has wheels and hubs that will need regular maintainence/replacement. Make sure you have a spare, and pray that nothing catastrophic occurs on the road. You'll pay for the trailer's title and registration once (most likely), but you'll pay taxes on it each year. The trailer takes up space whether you fold it up or not. You'll be charged extra when you use a toll road since you've added an axle. The lights/wiring wear out quickly at the harness--make sure to check your lights before travelling anywhere since you've now become a traffic ticket magnet. Be prepared to spend lots of time hunting down parts on the trailer which are squeaking, humming and vibrating.

And, of course, you might not even be able to use the trailer where you're going. These are some of the trade-offs you make when using a trailer. Is it worth it? Depends on who you ask.
                      I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      Garmin Echomap 93sv
                      RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I am on the hunt for a cheap beater minivan to haul my kayak around in. The lure of being able to keep it mostly rigged and ready to go is very strong and minivans dont seem to hold value very well, especially compared to used pickups.
                        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                          I am on the hunt for a cheap beater minivan to haul my kayak around in. The lure of being able to keep it mostly rigged and ready to go is very strong and minivans dont seem to hold value very well, especially compared to used pickups.
                          I transport my kayaks fully inside my 2015 Toyota Sienna van. Before that I used a 2003 Honda Odyssey van. There is some trial and error in figuring out how to fold some of the seats and remove other seats. Currently I fold the third row seats into the floor. I remove the second row right-side seat completely and store it in the basement. The front right-side seat is slid forward as far as it goes then tilted back. I place a carpet strip on top of the seat to protect the fabric. I also have other floor mats and carpet strips in the rear to keep sand and drippage from getting into the flooring. Each model of minivan has different seat folding ability. For example, the front right-side seat on my old Honda folded nearly flat, but the seat on the new Toyota folds only to about a 30 degree angle. That affects how the kayak will fit in relationship to the dash board and windshield.

To load the kayak, I simply slide it inside the van with the bow sitting on the folded front seat. I have plenty of room for my gear and can close the rear door. My loading and unloading is fast, easy, and requires minimal lifting. Here are photos of my Slayer Propel 10 (10') inside the van. My Manta Ray 11 is 10" longer and has a different bow shape. I need to run it at an angle (from left rear to right front) to get it inside.

Earlier this week Mark let me try fitting his new Ultimate 12 inside my van. It fit by turning the kayak upside down.

043.jpg 044.jpg 052.jpg
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Mini-vans are indeed great "fish-mobiles".

Although I carry my kayaks on the roof, not inside like John, I appreciate the ample and secure storage space for my gear inside my old Sienna.

Of course, mini-vans completely lack panache. They're not remotely stylish. You're not going to impress anyone driving a Sienna. A friend of mine once said, "the only way to attract women while driving a mini-van is to fill it with puppies or babies". I'm well beyond that stage in my life and concerned only with the functionality of my vehicle.

My mini-van has been a great kayak fishing accessory.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

if i had the money, i'd get a hooked up Sprinter. whole 13+' kayak can fit inside, all the gear, can sleep in it. would be my team snaggedline fishing command unit!

opulent-mercedes-benz-sprinter-by-carlex-design-photo-gallery-76761_1.jpg
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                                if i had the money, i'd get a hooked up Sprinter. whole 13+' kayak can fit inside, all the gear, can sleep in it. would be my team snaggedline fishing command unit!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19012[/ATTACH]
                                +1 on the sprinter
                                D Hawk
                                Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                                Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Working...
                                X