Transducer mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transducer mount

Hello yall I'm new to the site I'm looking for the way to mount a transducer mount on my kayak on field and stream 12 eagle talon kayak
    Last edited by Toby B; 02-14-2016, 04:40 PM.

Welcome aboard, If you are interested in Kayak fishing, you will find what you need here. Please let us know which transducer you speak of and I am sure you will receive enough info to make a good decision.
    Last edited by Salty Dog; 02-15-2016, 06:43 AM.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Search "duct seal"

Comment

There are three main ways to mount a transducer. Skidsteer referred to Duct Seal, which is a putty used to hold the transducer in place inside your hull. The sonar signals shoot through the hull. I made a video showing how to install a FF/GPS and transducer using the Duct Seal through hull method. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT4koUEnik.

Some users prefer to have the transducer in direct contact with the water. They use transducers that mount in a scupper hole or hang their transducer over the side on a separate arm. If you do some internet searches you will find many installation tips for those methods.

There are variations on these approaches and a few other ways to mount transducers, but those three are the most common.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

On water temp how is the difference

Comment

Originally posted by Toby B View Post
            On water temp how is the difference
            If you mount the transducer with duct seal on the hull's floor, your temperature reading will reflect the temperature inside the hull, not the water.

The temperature reading can be more, less or maybe even equal to the actual water temperature depending on the weather and ambient air temperature inside the hull.

My transducer mount is through-the-hull with duct seal. I disable the temperature reading on my FF.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Is there a way to install In duckseal without air bubbles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there a way to install duckseal without air bubbles

Comment

Is there a way to install In duckseal without air bubbles

Yes. Just flatten a pancake of it on the hull floor. Clean the floor area first with rubbing alcohol to provide a clean surface. The Duct Seal has the consistency of Silly Putty or Play Dough. Place your transducer in the middle of Duct Seal pancake and mold the edges of the putty around the transducer. I also molded a strip of putty over the top of the transducer for extra strength.

E1.JPG
                  Attached Files
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

K ty so much

Comment

Got it installed thanks everyone I did the pancake way like yall said a covered the transducer

Comment

there is an eagle talon fb group I have posted my transducer mount on there I had a talon before buyin my hobie.. great boat
                        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

John, has anybody ever seen comparison screen shots of the sonar performance with the various installs? I have a Scotty over the side install now but I don't like the drag or collecting garbage as I troll, but the picture is great. I'm thinking about a scupper mount next so it can be removed for shallow streams.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                          There are three main ways to mount a transducer. Skidsteer referred to Duct Seal, which is a putty used to hold the transducer in place inside your hull. The sonar signals shoot through the hull. I made a video showing how to install a FF/GPS and transducer using the Duct Seal through hull method. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT4koUEnik.

Some users prefer to have the transducer in direct contact with the water. They use transducers that mount in a scupper hole or hang their transducer over the side on a separate arm. If you do some internet searches you will find many installation tips for those methods.

There are variations on these approaches and a few other ways to mount transducers, but those three are the most common.
                          PigPen - Mt Airy
                          Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                            John, has anybody ever seen comparison screen shots of the sonar performance with the various installs? I have a Scotty over the side install now but I don't like the drag or collecting garbage as I troll, but the picture is great. I'm thinking about a scupper mount next so it can be removed for shallow streams.
                            I have not seen a comparison of using different transducer mounts on the same boat. When I made my installation video last winter, I spent some time searching the internet to see what others had to say about downscan quality when shooting through a hull. The general consensus was that you still got reasonable signals but they were not quite as good as if the transducer was in direct contact with the water. The quality of the image could be improved by making adjustments to sensitivity in the electronics.

On that subject, many users overlook fine tuning your electronics to get the most information from them. The factory default settings are usually decent, but with some tweaking, you can improve the level of information you get from them. The Lowrance Elite series of FF/GPS units are very popular with the kayak fishing community. I have never owned one myself, but it seems that in order to offer extra features at a good price point, they have eliminated some of the controls that allow the user to make adjustments. I hope some Elite owners can add their thoughts here. I had an older Lowrance LMS-527C unit on one kayak and a Lowrance HDS-5 Gen2 unit on the other. Neither one had downscan, but they did an excellent job on regular sonar. I was able to adjust the units so I could see a jighead bouncing up and down over a debris pile in 30 ft of water. Those installations were all shoot-through-the-hull Duct Seal jobs.

If knowing accurate water temperature (at the surface) is important to you, then stay away from a through-the-hull installation. The transducer will measure the air temp inside the hull -- not the water temp.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Just an FYI to those few Garmin users with the long GT20 transducer, Garmin offers a sticky foam pad for in hull installation that fits the transducer perfectly ($19). You have to dig deep on their website, but it does exist. I was using Duct Seal with no issues but stumbled on this pad and decided to give it a try. Going into year 3 and could not be happier. Still a tight fit on the hull and around the transducer, and if you do need to pull the transducer, it just slips right out.
                              Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Working...
                              X