Hobie Maiden Voyage: Jonas Green 7/9/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Maiden Voyage: Jonas Green 7/9/11

I got to Jonas Green today at sunrise for the first trip on my new boat and was greeted by water in the parking lot.

Oh well no problem, just got my feet and yak wet before actually getting to the water... Anyways geared up and was ready to roll after about 20 minutes of getting everything together. Hopefully, I will get a better and faster routine for getting everything together in the future.

So I launched and motored across river to where I left the perch biting last time out. By the way the Torqeedo motor is awesome, I definately got some strange looks from boaters while I was under way and just lounging back. After a short ride across the river i dropped my crab traps and went over to the pier and anchored to start jigging for perch. I got my first fish on the new boat soon after at 10".

After catching another nice perch, I decided it was probably time to check my crab traps. First time through I only caught one keeper crab in four traps, but he was a nice one.

Well I stayed out there for about 4 hours switching back and forth from crabbing and fishing and ended with 18 nice crabs up to 7.5 inches and 11 perch 9.5"-11".

Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Great report! Thanks for the pics. I tried crabbing off of my kayak a few times, but it takes some work off of my Tarpon 120. You Hobie has alot more carrying capacity. Good job. I assume you never went too far away from your traps?

Comment

Yea, I set the traps not too far off the pier where I fished for the perch. The furthest I went was the other side of the pier. There was another guy kayak crabbing just in front of the Jonas Green Beach. He said he had 16 traps, but they were topless, so you are able to stack them all together.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

did he have a dark green kayak? I think I saw the same guy when I went to Jonas Green. he had a real nice crabbing setup right in front of the beach.
        Sun Fishin'

Comment

Sounds like an excellent first trip, and your catch looked like the makings of an awesome dinner.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Yummy perch....maybe I may join you on the Severn soon.

Comment

Yep, I think he did have a dark green yak.

Come on out Moc, the Perch are good sized and plentiful. I might be out there next weekend, trying to talk my brother into going.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

What a great way to break in the new Kayak. A cooler full of goodness.

Where did you get your crab traps at? Crabbing from the Yak is one thing i have never tried and with the good crabbing reports i want to give it a try.

Comment

I grew up crabbing from boats with my family and I've built alot of traps from reclaimed wire. Used traps can be had on craigslist for a fair price, but usually in large numbers.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X