Fair weather return to St. Mary's lake.....odd result

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair weather return to St. Mary's lake.....odd result

You'd think returning to St Mary's lake on a non-snow storm basically windless day would mean better success. I certainly thought so. I had made a basspro stop, loaded up on everything that was working last trip.....Ictalarus Bill was up for it so we hit the glassy lake.

We could not find fish in the spots we found them before.....and all day never caught a fish on any lure that was productive in the snow....typical! Bill was able to catch a little pickerel, lose a bass, and bag a 12" perch which he gave me for tacos......or as it turned out just a single taco....one very lonely taco.

I finally caught a 13" bass on a rainbow trout countdown rapala.......a lure that has kept me from skunkage before

I really need to fish this lake more often and figure out its nuances....because there were other guys slaying perch and crappie today. Jay and Jambone who many guys met at the Dennis Point M&G a couple years back were on the water and were dialed in on perch and crappie! I guess I need a lesson or two from those guys
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

better than a day at work i guess. the lake looks awesome though.
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I had a great day even though the lake threw me a curveball.....could not ask for a better Feb day for fishing!

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a nice day. Any fish in February is a bonus. Keep fishing it and just like any body of water you'll see your success and quality improve as you learn the spots. Then you can maybe have two tacos.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Then you can maybe have two tacos.
          Ha! One perch seems to be my limit. At least they've been decent fish.

Though, I might be able to improve my catch with the new tricks we learned.

The pickerel wasn't even a hammer handle. Ruler maybe?

In addition to catching my February fish, I enjoyed seeing some other snaggedliners on the water and learning some new things. It's cool learning a new way to fish local water.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
            Ha! One perch seems to be my limit. At least they've been decent fish.

Though, I might be able to improve my catch with the new tricks we learned.

The pickerel wasn't even a hammer handle. Ruler maybe?

In addition to catching my February fish, I enjoyed seeing some other snaggedliners on the water and learning some new things. It's cool learning a new way to fish local water.
            Upholstery hammer handle

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Comment

Good Job guys!
              Most of all, It is nice to see Bill on the site

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 02-08-2016, 04:27 AM.
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                The pickerel wasn't even a hammer handle. Ruler maybe?.
                I refer to the real small ones as "cigar pickerel" for obvious reasons. The photo next to my name on the post shows cute cigar pickerel.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                X