General Pickeral Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Pickeral Fishing

I haven't fished for pickerel since the water temp was in the Mid 40s. What kind of patterns hold now that the water is in the 30s? Do they go deeper or still hold around the shoreline?
    Thanks
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

They may go to slightly deeper spots, especially first thing in the morning when the overnight air temp was below freezing. The shallows will be colder than mid-depths. On a cold day look for shallow mud flats in direct sun. These areas warm up quickly and attract bait. Pickerel will follow.

I have taken a lengthy break from pickerel fishing after catching quite a few up until early Jan. I recall in previous winters going to a tidal pond that was 80% covered with ice. As the sun got stronger during the afternoon, more and more of the ice cover melted. Each hour I was able to catch fish in parts of the pond that were ice-covered earlier in the day.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      They may go to slightly deeper spots, especially first thing in the morning when the overnight air temp was below freezing. The shallows will be colder than mid-depths. On a cold day look for shallow mud flats in direct sun. These areas warm up quickly and attract bait. Pickerel will follow.

I have taken a lengthy break from pickerel fishing after catching quite a few up until early Jan. I recall in previous winters going to a tidal pond that was 80% covered with ice. As the sun got stronger during the afternoon, more and more of the ice cover melted. Each hour I was able to catch fish in parts of the pond that were ice-covered earlier in the day.
      Thanks. It's had been since early January since I fished for them last. Learned how at the Dec meet and Greet. I plan to use minnow jig and live minnow. Are they less aggressive in the cold. I used a faster retrieve when warmer. Is it a slower presentation?
      Thanks
      John
      Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Yes. Slow down the retrieve but make sure the lure or bait does not hit the bottom. If so, it will get covered in slime.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
        X