7/9 Eastern Shore Mill Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/9 Eastern Shore Mill Pond

Early on Saturday morning we scouted out a small mill on the eastern shore. It had rained a fair amount the night before and it appeared to have flushed some of the duckweed from the surface.

This was our first time fishing this body of water. The pond is somewhat L shaped and the upper reaches turn into a small creek that runs thru a cypress swamp.

We saw fish immediately, but as we moved up stream, we caught nothing. Eventually we turned and went downstream to the dam area where there were good numbers of sunfish and crappie. Most of the fish were small and in the direct sun it was getting hot, so we decided to explore the upper end once again.

Farther up, the creek narrowed considerably and we found a few patches of lily pads and scattered areas of cypress stumps. Seeing and feeling these large stumps is an experience as many are large and obviously very old.

I fished an old school nightcrawler rig under a bobber some, and from the back rod holder I towed my favorite rig, a pair of small jigs. It is the "dead stick" jigs that often catches most of the fish. Today was no different as the tandem jigs caught the majority of the fish (bluegill, crappie and a brown bullhead).

The best fishing was around lily pad patches and over the stumps. The fish appeared healthy, but were considerably smaller than fish from the main river. This was surprising as the pond seemed to have plenty of forage.

I saw some large swirls but did not spend much time bass fishing. I did live line a small bluegill and had something grab it but it did not seem to be aggressive.

Although we caught good numbers of fish, most of them seemed a little reluctant to feed. Maybe they were already full from food that was flushed out in the storm or maybe the sudden change in water was a factor.

Despite the overall small size of fish, I want to return and explore more areas. This looks like a good place to seek out pickerel in the fall.

This was probably the most beautiful pond we have fished in terms of cypress trees and other scenery.
    Attached Files

That place looks great. Thanks for the report. I need to hit a couple lakes around me and get my pan fish fix again.

Comment

That place looks really pretty. Do many people fish it?
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
        That place looks really pretty. Do many people fish it?
        I know very little about the pond. I plan on visiting again as it has some fishy looking areas up in the feeder creeks and below the dam also looks interesting.

The trouble with a lot of local fish habitat is a lack of launching areas. At least kayaks are much easier to get into some of these small areas than other types of boats.

Comment

Looking at that pic again i could see a 4wt fly rod and a small popper tearing up bluegill around those tree limbs hanging into the water.

Comment

black rubber spider with white legs in lieu of a popper

sitting so low in the water as we do- using rods the way you do standing in a boat requires a lot of "adjustment" and modfying your techniques- for example- you can't work the Kopper's frog the way they recommend in the videos- I haven't tried fly fishing out of a kayak, but I bet that is a big adjustment, too...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X