Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Kayak Length? Type?

I'm very new to kayak fishing.

I'm interested in buying a sit on top fishing kayak and I've been focused on something in the 12' range. I'll mostly be freshwater fishing in ponds, small lakes and eastern shore rivers. I'm not ruling out fishing in the bay rivers (south, severn, etc.).

I'm 6'2 and go about 235, certainly not a little guy.

I've done some online study and it looks like there are several 12' models that will provide stability too (native slayer, old town predator mx, wilderness ride 115).

Am I looking at the right kind of kayaks? Is 12' long ok?

I plan to put the kayak in the bed of my pick-up truck (with support and a red flag, of course!).

Thanks,

You are not a little guy compared to most of us, but next to me (6'4", 250 lb), you are still smaller. There are many kayaks that would accommodate your weight and height. Make sure you learn the weight capacity of each model under consideration. You need to make sure to account for the weight of all the gear you plan to carry with you.

Length is important for several reasons. On the positive side, longer kayaks generally are faster and track straighter than shorter kayaks of the same style. Longer kayaks tend to have more storage space available through built-in areas or by adding storage. On the negative side, longer kayaks tend to be heavier and less nimble to move on land, including how you transport them in or on your vehicle. You noted that you plan to transport your kayak in a pickup with a support (presumably a hitch extender bar). In that case, you could easily consider a 12' or even a 14' kayak.

Think also about where you will store the kayak at home. Determine if you have any weight or length restrictions there.

Once you get past that point, you will find dozens of models that meet your needs. An important decision to make early on is do you want a paddle-powered kayak or a pedal-powered kayak. Many Snaggedline members use pedal-powered for their ease in fishing, but be prepared to spend considerably more money. Regarding cost, try to determine your maximum budget point then see what you can find in new and used models. If you don't mind some scratches, you can get much more value for your money by buying a used, fully-rigged kayak. If you choose to buy new, be prepared to include the cost of a paddle, seat, and PFD to the cost of the kayak.

Good luck and have fun shopping. It sounds like the meet and greet this weekend will have many participants. That would be a great opportunity to see different kayak models and talk to the owners to learn their likes and dislikes.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I completely agree with everything that John has said here. He touched on many critical points. The only thing that i would add is the variable of beam (width). Boats like a WS Ride 115 meet the length criteria, but are dramatically wider than a boat like a WS Tarpon 120. Width adds stability, even to the point of being able to stand up (carefully), but it reduces speed and adds weight.

The very best thing you can do is to put your butt in as many boats as possible. The upcoming M&G will be a great starting point. The upcoming spring season will host a slew of kayak demos. Find one near you and go to town.

Enjoy the process and we'll see you on the water!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

John and Bruce gave you excellent advice. I’d like to add two more points.

Kayak fishing provides new opportunities. I was primarily a freshwater angler but given the nearby convenient access to tidal waters, I soon gravitated to them. I’m glad I bought a boat that can handle bigger water because while I still enjoy ponds it’s good to know my kayak does not limit me to that kind of fishing. So I would advise you to keep thinking beyond your present fishing style as you already hinted when looking at kayaks to purchase. Small ponds and streams may be a favorite target now. But don’t be surprised if your fishing preferences change as your kayak provides access to new waters for you.

As to stability, that is a common worry of most people new to the hobby. I think it’s a concern that will fade for you as your kayak angling experience grows. The more you use your kayak the more comfortable you will become – not to the point of complacency but you will learn your boat’s capabilities and you will operate it accordingly. Additionally, I don’t recall reading many threads on this forum attributing innate instability to the major models of fishing kayaks. Of course some are wider and therefore more stable than others. Bruce mentioned the tradeoffs associated with width. But given the excellent designs of today’s fishing kayaks, the biggest determinants of stability (in my opinion) are our actions while we are in them and the water conditions where we fish. Making smart, prudent decisions about both will go a long way in keeping your boat right-side up with you on top.

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Guys,

Thanks very much for the responses. It's very much appreciated!

I won't be able to make the M&G, but I'm sure I'll meet some of you guys soon enough!

My intention is to 'paddle' versus 'pedal', so I've put that decision behind me.

The hunt is on! I'll make sure I keep you guys in the loop.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Gitzet View Post
            Guys,

Thanks very much for the responses. It's very much appreciated!

I won't be able to make the M&G, but I'm sure I'll meet some of you guys soon enough!

My intention is to 'paddle' versus 'pedal', so I've put that decision behind me.

The hunt is on! I'll make sure I keep you guys in the loop.

Thanks again!
            No worries bud. It is an exciting time!!

We (Eastern Mt Sports, Annapolis) are having our Annual Kayak Demo on 5/7 at Truxton Park if you can wait that long
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
            X