Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WeCallEmRockfish View Post
    Greetings all,

I really need to upgrade the kayak situation this year (my current is laughable, hence the laughing face next to it in my sig). Would love to get some advice from the knowledgable Snaggedliners on which one to get. The only redeemable quality the current yak has is its size & transportability. At 9.5 feet long and about 50 lb, it's easy as can be to get from my yard to the truck to the water. I want to keep at least some of that portability in a new one, so I've been focusing on the 10' models. I have an SUV and access to a truck - my current yak fits nicely in the truck bed or can be laid across the roof rack of the SUV for longer trips. I have an 11'6" stand-up paddleboard that also fits on the roof rack, so I think an 11' or 12' kayak might be OK, but I think I'd prefer the 10'...unless anybody here has any bad experiences with the 10-footers. What is the advantage to going larger? Just the ability to store more stuff? I'm pretty minimalist with my gear, so that's not a big concern.

So I've been looking at these makes/models:

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 Angler ($899)
    Jackson Cruise 10 Angler ($999)
    Jackson Cruise 12 Angler ($1099)

The next question is whether or not I want to spend the extra money for the foot pedals. In that case, I've been looking at the Native Slayer Propel 10 ($2400).

I do enjoy trolling, so the ease of pedaling over paddling is certainly a consideration. I currently paddle to troll (a whole 1 rod at a time) and I never find myself saying "man, I wish I had pedals," but it might be a case of once you try the pedals, you never go back. Interested to hear what those of you who have made the switch think.

Anybody have any experience (good or bad) with any of the models I mentioned above? Or advice in general...Much appreciated!
    Personally I wouldn't buy anything shorter than 12' living around here. You mentioned you have a truck, with a bed extender you should have no issue with boats out to 16'. Come to a meet and greet and see what others are using, perhaps try a few, and watch how everyone loads/unloads their boat. I think you will find we all manage our boats however big or heavy, the important thing is how it performs on the water. In my opinion, after a little experience you'll be looking at nothing but 12'+ boats, preferably with peddle drive.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I also have a Native Slayer 10. Got it last year and have enjoyed it to no ends. I primarily fish the tributaries of the Chesapeake. I trail or it in the back of my Dodge Dakota truck with no problems. I am about 5'8" and weigh about 180 lbs. since the Slayer 10 weighs around 50 lbs wither the propel removed, I can lift the front end into the truck fairly easy. The propel,system is great for forward and backward movement-great for positioning in tight areas. The cost for the Propel is more than you mentioned for your other selections, but hands free kayaking is the way to go!!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

The Tarpon Angler has two rod holders mounted behind the seat. As far as I know that is the ONLY difference. I think you are better off getting the regular one and outfitting it how you like if you decide to go that route. I use a milk crate and have never added in the hull rod mounts. I put rod holders on the gear trax.
        Thanks for the extremely detailed reply, Sun! Great info. I'll look again at the differences between the Tarpon Angler and regular models.
        Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
        Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Don't buy the angler versions!

You can add rod holders to your create, add your own trolley easy and even get help adding flush rod holders if you want.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Patapsco between the Key Bridge and the bay, and the creeks off it. Maybe around the Bay Bridge now and again.
            You are going to want and need a twelve.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
              You are going to want and need a twelve.
              I respect your experience, but I've always been fine with the 9.5 I have now. Granted, I go in mostly calm conditions. If there is wind or chop I usually don't mess with it. I'm about a block from where I put in, so I can just look down the road and see if the water looks good or not.

Thanks for the input though - you're not the only one to say so. Something to consider for sure.
              2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

I should note that I've never done the Bay Bridge though. I know it'll be a whole different ballgame than Stoney Creek on most days.
                2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                  Don't buy the angler versions!

You can add rod holders to your create, add your own trolley easy and even get help adding flush rod holders if you want.
                  Solid advice here. Thanks! I see that the Tarpon non-Angler 12' is just $40 more than the Angler 10'.
                  2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    I have the Slayer Propel 10 and find it to be a very good kayak. It allows me to troll 4 lines. It is short enough to fit inside my minivan with the hatch closed.

As you note, the price is more than double than the paddle kayaks you mention. That should be a consideration in your decision -- they are two completely different classes of kayak.

To give you another small paddle-powered kayak option, consider the Native Manta Ray 11. This kayak is no longer being made by Native, but you may be able to find a used one. I have this kayak as my paddle kayak and love it. I troll and cast with that kayak.
                    How does the Propel 10 do for you? I see you're in Annapolis, so I assume you're trolling in the Severn, the Bay, etc...many seem to suggest a 12 or 14 would do much better than a 10 in our local conditions.
                    2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

How does the Propel 10 do for you? I see you're in Annapolis, so I assume you're trolling in the Severn, the Bay, etc...many seem to suggest a 12 or 14 would do much better than a 10 in our local conditions.
                      All kayaks are a compromise. I owned the Slayer Propel 13 and the Slayer Propel 10. I used both in calm water and in waves up to about 1.5 ft. The SP13 has more space onboard and a sharper bow entry. It does better in rough water than the SP10. However the SP13 is considerably heavier. My back problems caused me to sell the SP13 recently. I don't use any of my kayaks at the Bay Bridge or in the main bay -- I own a center console that I use when I want to go there.

I have no reservations trolling in the Severn, the shorelines near Kent Narrows, or other similar environments, but do show discretion about going out on particularly windy and rough days. Last May I trolled for large bluefish at Cape Henlopen. I was in 3-4 ft swells (not tight bay chop) and ended up hooking about 8 blues over 32" from the SP10. It is a good kayak.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Going to check out this one:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1827...5287252849411/

Crazy coincidence - the guy selling it is actually a friend of the family. 12'9" is larger than I wanted, but based on the rec's I've gotten here, I'm open to it. We'll see how I feel about transporting it once I see it (and lift it) in person.
                        2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
                          The Tarpon Angler has two rod holders mounted behind the seat. As far as I know that is the ONLY difference. I think you are better off getting the regular one and outfitting it how you like if you decide to go that route. I use a milk crate and have never added in the hull rod mounts. I put rod holders on the gear trax.
                          The Tarpon Angler package we sell at EMS does have the flush tubes as described but also includes a 2x1.5" and 1x1"ram balls, a Zooka tube and a visicarbon light
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Going to check out this one:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1827...5287252849411/

Crazy coincidence - the guy selling it is actually a friend of the family. 12'9" is larger than I wanted, but based on the rec's I've gotten here, I'm open to it. We'll see how I feel about transporting it once I see it (and lift it) in person.
                            the prowler big game II (the pictured yak) is an AWESOME kayak...you would love it. Even that very stable kayak will paddle way better than your nine footer. It is a dream of a fishing boat I'd go for it.
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                              the prowler big game II (the pictured yak) is an AWESOME kayak...you would love it. Even that very stable kayak will paddle way better than your nine footer. It is a dream of a fishing boat I'd go for it.
                              Am the proud new owner of the big game II!
                              2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Good job

here is a great video on that boat https://youtu.be/TaVTk1JH2d4
                                Last edited by kevinfry; 02-08-2016, 07:19 PM.
                                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                                X