Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on upgrading the kayak (N00B)

Greetings all,

I really need to upgrade the kayak situation this year (my current is laughable, hence the laughing face next to it in my sig). Would love to get some advice from the knowledgable Snaggedliners on which one to get. The only redeemable quality the current yak has is its size & transportability. At 9.5 feet long and about 50 lb, it's easy as can be to get from my yard to the truck to the water. I want to keep at least some of that portability in a new one, so I've been focusing on the 10' models. I have an SUV and access to a truck - my current yak fits nicely in the truck bed or can be laid across the roof rack of the SUV for longer trips. I have an 11'6" stand-up paddleboard that also fits on the roof rack, so I think an 11' or 12' kayak might be OK, but I think I'd prefer the 10'...unless anybody here has any bad experiences with the 10-footers. What is the advantage to going larger? Just the ability to store more stuff? I'm pretty minimalist with my gear, so that's not a big concern.

So I've been looking at these makes/models:

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 Angler ($899)
    Jackson Cruise 10 Angler ($999)
    Jackson Cruise 12 Angler ($1099)

The next question is whether or not I want to spend the extra money for the foot pedals. In that case, I've been looking at the Native Slayer Propel 10 ($2400).

I do enjoy trolling, so the ease of pedaling over paddling is certainly a consideration. I currently paddle to troll (a whole 1 rod at a time) and I never find myself saying "man, I wish I had pedals," but it might be a case of once you try the pedals, you never go back. Interested to hear what those of you who have made the switch think.

Anybody have any experience (good or bad) with any of the models I mentioned above? Or advice in general...Much appreciated!
    2018 Hobie Compass

I have a Tarpon 100 and 120. I love them both but I do not troll and I spend most of my time in the rocks on the Susky. As much as I like them I dont think they are the best option if you plan to troll a lot. Just my 2 cents.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

I have the Slayer Propel 10 and find it to be a very good kayak. It allows me to troll 4 lines. It is short enough to fit inside my minivan with the hatch closed.

As you note, the price is more than double than the paddle kayaks you mention. That should be a consideration in your decision -- they are two completely different classes of kayak.

To give you another small paddle-powered kayak option, consider the Native Manta Ray 11. This kayak is no longer being made by Native, but you may be able to find a used one. I have this kayak as my paddle kayak and love it. I troll and cast with that kayak.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have no experience with the boats you mentioned but in general, the longer the boat (with otherwise similar hull specifications) the better it tracks and the faster it is.

You can find lots of info online about this. Some websites dispute the length/speed theory and others support it. But I know from my canoeing days that I could paddle a longer canoe faster than a shorter one.

You can get all sides of the story here: http://www.paddling.net/message/show...ce&tid=1345931
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
          I have a Tarpon 100 and 120. I love them both but I do not troll and I spend most of my time in the rocks on the Susky. As much as I like them I dont think they are the best option if you plan to troll a lot. Just my 2 cents.
          Makes sense - thanks for the input. Good to know you like them!
          2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            I have the Slayer Propel 10 and find it to be a very good kayak. It allows me to troll 4 lines. It is short enough to fit inside my minivan with the hatch closed.

As you note, the price is more than double than the paddle kayaks you mention. That should be a consideration in your decision -- they are two completely different classes of kayak.

To give you another small paddle-powered kayak option, consider the Native Manta Ray 11. This kayak is no longer being made by Native, but you may be able to find a used one. I have this kayak as my paddle kayak and love it. I troll and cast with that kayak.
            Good to know you like the Propel 10! I'll look up the Manta Ray.
            2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I have no experience with the boats you mentioned but in general, the longer the boat (with otherwise similar hull specifications) the better it tracks and the faster it is.

You can find lots of info online about this. Some websites dispute the length/speed theory and others support it. But I know from my canoeing days that I could paddle a longer canoe faster than a shorter one.

You can get all sides of the story here: http://www.paddling.net/message/show...ce&tid=1345931
              Ah, of course - faster. Completely logical. Didn't even think of that! Thanks for the link!
              2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Like it was said, length = speed and better tracking. I know you said you're looking at shorter, but if you deceide to go for length I have a tarpon 140 sale sale. Check the link in my signature. I've trolled out of it no problem for the past few years. If anything you can see how I set it up for trolling if you want to try it on a smaller boat.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Where will you do most of your fishing?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Originally posted by MD Dore View Post
                    Where will you do most of your fishing?

Patapsco between the Key Bridge and the bay, and the creeks off it. Maybe around the Bay Bridge now and again.
                    2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by WeCallEmRockfish View Post
                      Patapsco between the Key Bridge and the bay, and the creeks off it. Maybe around the Bay Bridge now and again.
                      In that case, you may want to consider something a bit longer than 10'. Others may have different opinions, but a longer vessel may be a bit better at cutting through the chop and swells you may experience in those locations

Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

For what it is worth, Survival Products will be raffling off a Tarpon 100 at the OC boat show that runs from Feb 12-14. Tickets are $10.

To help you in your search, I can say from experience that you need to try several models first. Most guys on here are more than accommodating in allowing you to try their boats. A meet and greet is a great place to try various types. If you have the extra money, peddles are a game changer. I promise you could handle more than two rods! I would also suggest that regardless of whether you go peddle or paddle that you consider at least a 12 ft boat. There are a few lighter 12fters that will offer you much more sea worthiness than a 10'. You can get away with fishing most places in a 10' but you need to pick your days and monitor the weather carefully.

Good luck in your search!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I get along OK in the small one right now, but you guys are certainly making some great points and giving me a lot to think about. Which is, of course, just what I had hoped for starting this thread.

I just have real concerns about storing and transporting anything larger than 11 or 12. Will open my mind a bit to other options though.
                          2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

I own a Tarpon 100, and I love it for the same reasons you are considering it. It's lightweight and easy to load on the car for a trip to the river on a whim. I bought it as my second kayak after owning a used Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 for several years. The Tarpon 100 tracks surprisingly well for a short, wide boat. I can paddle it as fast as I can paddle my 13' kayak, and can pretty much do everything in it as I can I do in my 13 footer - stand, troll, hug bridge pilings, seat a kid in the back, etc. I also like the fact that the seat is permanently attached to the boat, which means less setup and prep stuff for launch (for instance, I've forgotten my seat on my 13 footer before).

I've used the Tarpon to troll for rockfish in the spring at the Susquehanna flats (lots of water). It has turtled once when my dad leaned over the side too far when I tried to hand him something at Pt Lookout. I've taken it to Weems creek with my son seated in the back to fish for perch. I've hand-lined for crabs from it on the Wye river. I've taken it to Lowe's Wharf to fish Poplar Island. I've used it at the Occoquan to go under the docks for crappie. And last week I pulled my kids around in it through the snow around the neighborhood. It's so versatile.

The Tarpon 100 I got was not an angler model or anything, and I got it for $588 new in 2012 from Eastern Mountain Sports. You may want to consider getting the standard kayak from REI or EMS and spend the money you save for outfitting it, or on a high quality paddle. Having a lightweight paddle makes a world of difference when paddling. It also doesn't look like you get much extra for the Angler model. The gear track is on the standard model, and that has been great for me to attach a fishfinder, RAM tubes, etc.

The one negative thing I have to say about the Tarpon 100 is that the hatches are leaky. I've never gotten a drop of water in the hull on my Ocean Kayak, but often get water inside the Tarpon. When my dad flipped it at Pt Lookout, there was a good bit of water in there - not enough to make it unstable, but enough to surprise me when I drained it.

All that said, I succumbed to the temptation of the pedal-powered yaks and got an Outback last Fall. I'm keeping the Tarpon though. I can do everything on the Tarpon that I can with the Ocean Kayak, so I'm selling the 13 footer.

Hope that helps!

[Edit] I forgot to comment on the switch. I waited to buy the Hobie because it was just so expensive. But after having kayak fished for several years, and injuring my back a couple times, I decided to pull the trigger for a more comfortable ride. I opted for a demo model, which brought the price down by $500. I can say that it is *very* nice to be able to move with just your feet, and to have your hands free to do other things like eating a sandwich, or taking a phone call from the worried wife. I am extremely happy with it overall. I don't regret starting with the paddle yak though. I gained a lot of experience with it, and will continue to use it for on-a-whim trips to the river, or to calm waters where I plan to mainly jig or bottom fish.
                            Last edited by Sun; 02-03-2016, 10:33 PM.
                            Sun Fishin'

Comment

Thanks for the extremely detailed reply, Sun! Great info. I'll look again at the differences between the Tarpon Angler and regular models.
                              2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Working...
                              X