Side scan vs down image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side scan vs down image

Whats the advantage to a more expensive side scan vs a lower priced down image?

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

Not sure what a side scan it? There is sonar and down scan. Lowrance has sonar with chirp which is a improved version of sonar. Down scan is a version that shows the view in a different vision than chirp or normal sonar.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Here is a snapshot of me passing over a submerged tree in 55 feet of water in traditional sonar

Here is a snapshot of the same tree in "down scan mode" on my Humminbird

When asked about traditional sonar versus down scan I like to describe it this way, with traditional sonar I could tell that I am looking at a brush pile, with downscan I can see the individual branches in the brush pile. While seeing the individual branches may sound better what I find in the real world is that traditional sonar does a much better job of giving me useful fishing information. Much easier to mark bait and fish with traditional sonar than with down imaging.

Side scanning technology allows you to see out to either side of your kayak, effectively scanning the water column 50, 100 even 200 feet away from your position. I have no first hand experience with side scan sonar but several of my fishing cohorts have tried it. Some think it is great, some think it is finicky and over-rated. You do need to be moving at a pretty good clip to get a good image and I believe the type of water you fish makes a difference in how effective this technology will work for you.
      Last edited by Turtle135; 01-23-2016, 06:06 PM.
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Side scan is a type of down imaging

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
          Not sure what a side scan it? There is sonar and down scan. Lowrance has sonar with chirp which is a improved version of sonar. Down scan is a version that shows the view in a different vision than chirp or normal sonar.
          I ment down scan*
          Originally posted by ShoreYakAngler View Post
          Side scan is a type of down imaging

Comment

so typically side scan is used in shallow freshwater fishing. most largemouth bass fishermen doing tournaments have side scan so they can see specific structure of trees and such on the bank. down scan is used to define specific structure below them. it all depends on what you wish to do most often. i have a down scan now for saltwater, but when i retire next year ill be on arizona lakes so i will switch to or add on a side scan unit so i can define the structure on the shoreline
            Rich
            Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Down scan views items below the boat. Side scan allows you to look out farther laterally. Here is a post from another chat board that has some images of regular sonar, down scan, and side scan. http://hookedup.fish/forum/index.php...-your-own.427/

As far as I can tell, few kayak anglers in this region have side scan units. The HDS-5 Gen 2 units I have on one of my kayaks and on my center console can accept a separate side scan module. It is quite costly and takes up more space. I can live without that imaging.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

if your fishing freshwater, which is done pretty shallow here in MD.. side scan is basically worthless.. it scans the sides of the water your facing to show you structure.. but if your not really fishing off shore structure no point in spending the money
                if your fishing salt water.. and arent fishing off shore structure.. again its a waste of money.. its nice to see these things.. but if you dont know how to read it.. its pointless..

Down imaging basically gives you a perfect picture of the bottom.. more clarity than sonar
                Zach Moore
                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

+1 on many difficulties with side imaging or side scanning. first it only really shines between 2 to 6 knots, best at 4 knots or about 5 mph..... I can barely get to 3 mph and tire quickly at that speed. next you need to remain almost perfectly straight line tracking while paddling like hell, and if that's not bad enough make sure you don't rock side to side or let any waves disrupt the orientation of your yak. so boat traffic and wakes in the area is a problem, in other words on a glass calm body of water under power with a 30 pound thrust trolling motor going perfectly straight side imaging is cool. in the real world..... completely impractical to expect picture like results. I will say that I only have a few days experience with it but while paddling past docks the pilings are clear to see... about the same size as a rock fish, but I haven't been on any fish yet and time will tell. I would say that for the money you will not get the results advertised on the box from a yak under most conditions.

Comment

Working...
                  X