Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you ready for the blizzard?

Here's the latest forecast.

He's calmer than Pat Collins and his snow stick.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Everybody be safe this weekend!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I have it on good authority that it will not snow this weekend.

Basically I got my snowblower out and got it running therefore it will not snow.
        1980 Something Old Town Canoe
        2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
        2015 Coosa HD
        2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
        2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

To prepare for the storm I wrecked my car this morning to avoid the rush of having to wreck it tomorrow.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
            I have it on good authority that it will not snow this weekend.

Basically I got my snowblower out and got it running therefore it will not snow.
            I'm with you snowblower up and running Generator ready to plug in and BEER it can't snow.
            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
              To prepare for the storm I wrecked my car this morning to avoid the rush of having to wreck it tomorrow.
              That's a shame.

Two things:

1. I hope you were not injured.
              2. I hope your kayak was not on the roof.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Moved Yak into basement so I can sit and watch fishing shows this weekend. Hogan stated to get enough stuff for a week, so I picked up another 30 pack.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Hahahaha that was awesome. I got some new all terrain tires on my truck that I plan on trying out. Going to give the tacoma some play time in the snow, then gonna head home, start a fire, crack a beer, and tell my boss I'm unable to make it in
                  Zack
                  Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                  Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                  "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    That's a shame.

Two things:

1. I hope you were not injured.
                    2. I hope your kayak was not on the roof.
                    "Wreck" might have been too dramatic of a word, I did a 15mph slide into a curb to avoid hitting someone who was also sliding all over the road. My wheel is bent and hopefully other then that just the alignment needs to redone. Unfortunately every shop I called was full of snow-wrecked cars so I cant even get it looked at until Wednesday.

The yak is safe, though with the winds that are expected I might move it out of the shaded spot it's in now to the middle of the field. I would be fairly displeased if a branch came down on it.

However, that brings up a good (if slightly unrelated) point; has anyone here been in an accident with a yak on their roof? I wonder how well the "standard" strapping set up holds in a front or rear collision. I work in the entertainment industry and have seen the typical 1" straps we use fail under shifting loads in the back of a trailer. The failure point is usually the hook ends or the ratchet it's self. I rarely took my old yak very far, but with my new boat I want to hit up some more distant spots. I am going to think on how I can beef up my strapping system for longer trips.
                    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

...has anyone here been in an accident with a yak on their roof? ...have seen the typical 1" straps we use fail under shifting loads in the back of a trailer. The failure point is usually the hook ends or the ratchet it's self. I rarely took my old yak very far, but with my new boat I want to hit up some more distant spots.
                      I've driven my kayak on the roof of my Sienna van many miles. Most of those miles were for local trips and some were on long trips out of state. Once on a local trip to Jonas one of my straps failed. Actually it wasn't the strap but the hook on my van's luggage rack broke causing the strap to lose its grip. I didn't know it until I got to the launch because the boat remained stable with only one strap holding it. In fact the loose strap remained draped over the kayak during the trip. Fortunately it was the back strap that failed. The front strap remained tight preventing the bow from lifting even though I was going 55 mph on Route 2. I do not use tie downs on the bow and stern, just two straps on the kayak itself. So it pays to check the endpoints of your straps occasionally. And it pays check the precise points where you attach the straps to the rack. I was very fortunate during my strap failure. Now I do not rely on the luggage rack's built-in hooks. I loop the tie down strap under and over the rail of the luggage rack itself. That makes a much stronger connection.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

I finally got some free time. Gonna load up tonight so I can get an early start Saturday.

Anyone else?

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                          I finally got some free time. Gonna load up tonight so I can get an early start Saturday.
                          You'll definitely need an early start to beat the weekend crowd.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

"Wreck" might have been too dramatic of a word, I did a 15mph slide into a curb to avoid hitting someone who was also sliding all over the road. My wheel is bent and hopefully other then that just the alignment needs to redone. Unfortunately every shop I called was full of snow-wrecked cars so I cant even get it looked at until Wednesday.

The yak is safe, though with the winds that are expected I might move it out of the shaded spot it's in now to the middle of the field. I would be fairly displeased if a branch came down on it.

However, that brings up a good (if slightly unrelated) point; has anyone here been in an accident with a yak on their roof? I wonder how well the "standard" strapping set up holds in a front or rear collision. I work in the entertainment industry and have seen the typical 1" straps we use fail under shifting loads in the back of a trailer. The failure point is usually the hook ends or the ratchet it's self. I rarely took my old yak very far, but with my new boat I want to hit up some more distant spots. I am going to think on how I can beef up my strapping system for longer trips.
                            The best thing you can do is to add a bow line to your bumper. That minimizes upward lift, which is, by far the greatest force working to separate your hull from your roof. Companies like Thule engineer their racks to manage downward pressure, not uplift.
                            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I'm doing ok so far in the blizzard. I'm in Howard County, kinda rural, but near a snow emergency route and right near the dam for Triadelphia Reservoir. My road was plowed by the county around 3PM. Me and my two kids (21 year old daughter and 18 year old son) have shoveled our driveway and cleared off two cars. My Honda Fit is still buried. If we had to get to the Hospital right now, we could. Very thankful that electricity is still up and working. My generator is ready if the power goes down. I need to get a real snow blower. My little Toro model is useless. We've been shoveling the driveway every 3 or 4 hours and it is manageable.

Comment

Working...
                              X