Hobie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie

What do you all think about the hobie pro angler 14 in the chesapeake bay and chester river. Those will be my main places i will fish 75% of the time

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by ShoreYakAngler View Post
    What do you all think about the hobie pro angler 14 in the chesapeake bay and chester river. Those will be my main places i will fish 75% of the time

Great if you have a full bed truck/bed extender, or a trailer. You'll be limited to well established ramps as well, some of the more remote beach launches might be difficult.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
      Great if you have a full bed truck/bed extender, or a trailer. You'll be limited to well established ramps as well, some of the more remote beach launches might be difficult.
      Yes i will. Moving it wont be a problem as id get a kayak kart and i have a full bed and jetski trailer. The main thing is the kayak in the water im wondering about

Comment

Stop wondering, the most stable of the Hobie fleet.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with them in the bay or the bays rivers?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoreYakAngler View Post
            Does anyone have any experience with them in the bay or the bays rivers?

I have used one in both and as the previous reply suggested it is very stable, you should have no problems with either. As is true with all peddle kayaks you do have to take caution when using in shallow water, especially places with fast current that can pin you up against rocks or hard bottom. The torque can and likely will damage the Mirage drive, but typically not enough to take you out of commission.
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I've fished mine in the lower Potomac and bay for the past 2 seasons. I am very comfortable in saying it will handle most situations you'll encounter. It does have a tendency to plow into oncoming waves (greater than a foot or so) and the front hatch (at least on mine) leaks water into the hull when that happens. I can also attest that if you launch with your drain plugs out the boat will not sink and takes in less water than you would think. I fish the seat in the high position and have only had to move to the low position once because of heavy wave action, the boat is very stabile. Love the room, horizontal rod storage, and weight capacity.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I purchase a used 2009 PA 14 last season. So far it has handled the water I like to fish perfectly( upper bay and creeks). Its a pretty big boat, don't quote me on this: 14ft by 40 inches wide and about 120lbs with the seat in it. Hauling it is pretty easy for me, I just slide into the bed on the truck. Like Mike said, it has a ton of room and storage space. I love the rod tubes and the center hatch. With all the existing storage space,I still haven't found a need for a crate except for dry storage(jacket,gloves,hat).

I am bigger guy - 5'11" and 250lb (+ a few after the Holiday's)-working class strong and have no problem moving the yak around. I have noticed, when i have it geared up it's a little tough to pull through the sand with out balloon tires.

So far the only thing I don't like is the steering. Again mine is an unmodified early model. The newer ones offer a skeg and larger rudder.

Oh and storing. I'd really like to store it on its side. But its not recommended.

Ed

Comment

i love mine. I've only had it a year but couldn't be happier. the only negative i would say is its quite heavy when dragging on sand or maneuvering some launch ramps. i don't cary a crate and i still have lots of room. i use the huge front bin as a well to store my catch with a block of ice in it. works great. I'm a really clumsy guy so i installed the outrigger pontoons on mine but its really not needed.
                  Rich
                  Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I hang out with Fishinggod and Big Mike, and we added Tony to the SoMo (Southern Maryland) fishing fleet of PA-14's. I stayed in the "Big" water all season with these guys and the PA-14 is very stable and utilitarian. I got ALL the use out of mine's last season. I added a Hobie Outback to the fleet to hit those areas that don't allow trailers.

Yak67
                    2015 Hobie PA-14
                    2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Thanks for all the responses this really helped

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
                        I hang out with Fishinggod and Big Mike, and we added Tony to the SoMo (Southern Maryland) fishing fleet of PA-14's. I stayed in the "Big" water all season with these guys and the PA-14 is very stable and utilitarian. I got ALL the use out of mine's last season. I added a Hobie Outback to the fleet to hit those areas that don't allow trailers.

Yak67
                        2015 Hobie PA-14
                        2016 Hobie Outback LE
                        any meet and greet areas do not allow trailers? I have a chevy cruze so my outback stays on a trailer I would cartop it but dropping it from 18" vs 48" while unloading makes more sense to me id hate to drop it while unloading and break something.
                        2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
                          any meet and greet areas do not allow trailers?
                          No trailers allowed at Jonas Green.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Some public launch spots allow free launching of cartop boats but require a ramp fee for a trailered boat (e.g., Truxtun Park in Annapolis, Talbot County public ramps).
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

plain and simple.. there is no other kayak on the market that can stand in the pot with a pro angler for stability in any water...
                              Zach Moore
                              Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                              Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                              Bait Towel Pro Staff
                              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                              YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                              X