No announcement yet.

Good dry suit deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A timely post as the weather is getting really cold out there. I had ice block feet after getting back to the launch last Friday and it was only in the 40's. I just ordered my Kokatat suit on Monday. I've heard that when you spend the money on a kokatat suit you won't ever need to buy another drysuit- the warranty is worth the price of the suit alone.

On a related topic- what are you guys using for footwear with your suits? My neoprene booties I've been using with my waders just suck the heat out of my feet and I end up with ice blocks at the end of my legs every time.
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
      A timely post as the weather is getting really cold out there. I had ice block feet after getting back to the launch last Friday and it was only in the 40's. I just ordered my Kokatat suit on Monday. I've heard that when you spend the money on a kokatat suit you won't ever need to buy another drysuit- the warranty is worth the price of the suit alone.

On a related topic- what are you guys using for footwear with your suits? My neoprene booties I've been using with my waders just suck the heat out of my feet and I end up with ice blocks at the end of my legs every time.

Great question, was out last weekend, I used a waterproof sock liner, and insulated sock, covered with a neoprene boot, then put all into dry bib sock. The result was really cold. I spent some time investigating the use of neoprene, it seems the best use of neoprene was against the skin. So next time out I will go sock liner, neoprene sock, then insulated sock over top of neoprene, then insert into dry sock of dry bib, and will see what happens.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

QUOTE=Salty Dog;125072]I dont know, but have you tried out the new Corollas. Nice.[/QUOTE]

........ But not as nice as a Lexis .......

Comment

I'm curious about cold feet remedies too; I haven't figured out a good way to keep my feet warm. I've been going with a wool sock under the suit and a neoprene booty over the suit. I think pedaling probably keeps the feet warmer since your pumping blood through the legs all day, but I paddle and don't move my legs much in comparison

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
          I've heard that when you spend the money on a kokatat suit you won't ever need to buy another drysuit- the warranty is worth the price of the suit alone.
          I can vouch for that. The first time I wore my Kokatat suit (Super nova, I think?) my feet got wet. Sent it back and they fixed some faulty seams at no charge. The third or forth time I wore it after the seam repair I had wet feet again! Sent it back again and they said the glue was bad and the seams were all starting to leak. Brand new suit was sent to me for free! Although it would have been nice to have had a suit free of defects from the start, customer service there was excellent and they stood behind their product.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
            Hey Allen, how about talking to the team at Kokatat and requesting base layers with a fly. Great products, but who wants to pay premium for a quality product without a fly to go with the relief zipper. Just sayin.
            Hey man, don't think I haven't thought of that!!! You are on the money though. But to be honest, when I think about it. It's easier to reach up and grab the waist band of 3 layers and pull them down so I can, without getting too graphic, find the piece of interest :-) It would be really hard to undo 3 flies on the base layers and I'd probably end up peeing myself by the time I got there!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

As far as keeping your feet warm there's a few things I learned over the years.

1. Cold feet suck
              2. If your socks, shoes or whatever are too tight, you'll get cold feet. It seems counter intuitive because we want to bundle snuggly, but I think it keeps blood from pumping into your feet easily.
              3. See number 2 above, it's made worse by having your feet elevated in a pedaling position all day. I also think pushing on the soles of your feet makes it worse too.

I use 2 pair of wool socks and a neoprene sock over them. I also have a larger shoe so they're not tight.

I think the key to the whole thing is making sure you've got constant blood flow because I too have gotten cold feet on what seemed like a mild weather day.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

I have this suit and I really like it. If I was white water rafting or something where I expected to go for a swim, then I top of the line suit is definitely a must. For a kayak fisherman I thought this one looked good and so far it's been great. Used it two seasons, maybe 15-20 trips, it still looks new. It has a relief zipper, reinforced wear areas, comfortable neck gasket. I tested it in the summer for leaks, and was dry as a bone after floundering around in the water several minutes. Typically if the air temp is above 50 I wear light underwear and a t shirt to stay warm. Below 40 I wear the full body fleece liner, sold separately, and it keeps me toasty even while sitting still.

If you need a dry suit, I wouldn't dismiss this as an option.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                X