NJ, Atlantic/Ocean City fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJ, Atlantic/Ocean City fishing

I have been doing some research on the area just curious who all fishes this area and the inland side of it. There seem to be multitudes of bays and flats that look promising from the google map view.
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
    LOWRANCE Hook7

Backbay fishing in NJ has gotten worse and worse every year for me as the flounder population declines and "beach replenishment" ruins all the inlets. This past year was the worst backbay flounder season I ever had and that's fishing from Cape May up to Barnegat. When you add the ridiculous amount of boat traffic that is mainly comprised of novices and/or drunks from memorial to labor day its a situation I'd generally advise you to avoid. I swore off daytime NJ backbay fishing altogether this summer when I was nearly killed twice in less than 10 minutes and then I was blue lighted by a coast guard cutter that saw everything go down and chose to come talk to me instead of the two nearly murderous powerboat operators. IMO if you're in WV you're looking in the wrong place. The Chesapeake Bay and Virginia beaches have infinitely more kayak friendly options than NJ. If it wasn't the closest coastline to me I'd avoid the state altogether... If you insist on exploring backbay NJ send me a PM and I'll tell you what I know.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
      Backbay fishing in NJ has gotten worse and worse every year for me as the flounder population declines and "beach replenishment" ruins all the inlets. This past year was the worst backbay flounder season I ever had and that's fishing from Cape May up to Barnegat. When you add the ridiculous amount of boat traffic that is mainly comprised of novices and/or drunks from memorial to labor day its a situation I'd generally advise you to avoid. I swore off daytime NJ backbay fishing altogether this summer when I was nearly killed twice in less than 10 minutes and then I was blue lighted by a coast guard cutter that saw everything go down and chose to come talk to me instead of the two nearly murderous powerboat operators. IMO if you're in WV you're looking in the wrong place. The Chesapeake Bay and Virginia beaches have infinitely more kayak friendly options than NJ. If it wasn't the closest coastline to me I'd avoid the state altogether... If you insist on exploring backbay NJ send me a PM and I'll tell you what I know.
      Thank you, I am looking into the Va areas as well, I used to live in Norfolk so im already more familiar with them. Its also about an additional 2 or so hours on the trip which starts to really shorten the fishing time and add the driving time as we are looking to hopefully get down and back in 2 days. Im very interested in Kiptopeke and the CBBT as well as HRBBT but again its the length of the drive that pushes me to the NJ, DE areas as I can reach them in 5-5.5 vs 7-7.5hrs. but that said im not opposed to some nighttime bay fishing if I ever manage to plan a trip ill be sure and reach out to you.
      2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
      LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Sorry suicyderider don't mean to hijack the thread

Originally posted by Romo View Post
        when I was nearly killed twice in less than 10 minutes and then I was blue lighted by a coast guard cutter that saw everything go down and chose to come talk to me instead of the two nearly murderous powerboat operators.

Maybe I understood it wrong, but I was told by a life long avid boater and fisherman, that motor boats have to yield to non-motor boats (sailboats with the sail up, kayaks, etc.). I have a feeling your mouth dropped when they came to talk to you instead...what did they say you did "wrong"? You can pm me if you don't want to post it here
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I have no problem posting what happened because I think it serves as a warning to anyone considering kayaking the New Jersey back bays from May to September.

I was on my kayak at dawn flounder fishing Barnegat Bay on a 10 foot flat a good distance from the main channel that's marked with buoys. About 9-10 o'clock the boat traffic really picked up and I noticed a cutter parked itself a couple hundred yards off my port on the other side of the channel presumably to catch unsafe boaters or get people who illegally tied up to the nearby sandbar to party. Not long after, a huuuuuge yacht comes steaming through on full plane and for no apparent reason strays wayyyy out of the channel and heads directly at me. It was one of those big whited out front, tuna tower deals and I looked up and saw no one at the controls up top so instead of trying to signal or whistle I just pedaled like crazy to try and get to shallower water. I had plenty of time to get out of the way because I had my eye on him for a while but his wake almost tipped me when it hit the shallow ledge I was in front of and kicked up a huge wave. When I looked at the back of the boat there were a couple high school age kids and no adults in sight. The coast guard sat there idly.

Whatever- it happens and because I was paying attention it wasn't a super close call. All was cool and I pedaled back out to my spot but now stayed even further back from the marked channel at a distance I couldn't dream a boater would veer into. Not ten minutes later three center consoles came racing through the channel three wide and at the last minute one veered to avoid a buoy and came dangerously close to me (less than three kayak lengths) but this time I had no time to react. Thankfully I got my bow pointed into his wake at the last second and avoided swamping again. I was sooooooooo mad and this time I lost my cool and gave him the jersey salute and screamed at him but he never even looked back. Then the coast guard lights came on and I thought yea get that SOB. Then they started coming towards me and I thought huh that's nice they're gonna see if I'm alright. They get about 20 feet away and a kid younger than me comes out of the pilot house and says something like "Hey we just saw you almost get killed twice. Its summer now and you can't be out here by the channel like that or you're gonna get killed." I couldn't believe what I was hearing but instead of getting into a confrontation about it I gave him a thumbs up, turned around and headed back to my launch and vowed to never, ever return again. And I never will! I've seen similar hairy situations in the back bays of Avalon, Wildwood and Cape May but nothing quite like that and certainly never expected to be criticized by the Coasties. Lesson learned, though: NO ONE cares about you on the water so don't even rely on the CG. You are the only one responsible for your safety and you have to assume every boat is out to kill you.
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Good advice. People on boats really are dangerous for us kayakers to be around. I always suggest to new folks that they get a small marine air horn to tie to their vest. It's saved me on several occasions as it is loud enough to get a boaters attention....even if just to flip them off for putting you at risk.
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Yikes bro! Heck of a story! I do have to say that my IG background would have made me get the coast Guard's ID and name and called it into their hotline and their field office. They may not do much but no one likes to get a call and they think twice next time... But like you I probably would have vowed the same! LOL
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
              X