need a temporary mount for an elite 5 hdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a temporary mount for an elite 5 hdi

I have an Eagle talon kayak with a lowrance 4x on it. The Kayak has no gear tracks on it. I also have a new elite 5 hdi. I plan to take my kayak to Florida in February and would like to have gps so I don't get lost. I also plan to upgrade my Kayak to a Hobie in spring, so I would like to mount the elite 5 on my Kayak temporarily with as few holes as possible and then switch it to the Hobie. Your thoughts are appreciated.

How is your 4x currently mounted?
    Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

I would apply a short length of track to the existing boat.
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Hey Mike, the FF on my Hobie is a permanent install with a ram mount gooped in my cup holder. It's a solid install believe it or not, without any screw holes at all. Don't see why this application would not work for a temporary install also. Not sure if you already have mounting hardware or cup holders on your talon, but this might give you a few ideas.

mv9Q1ffU2h8KmBXZbC0ixEg.jpg
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

The 4x is mounted on a raised center section in front of the seat.

Comment

Is your 4x already mounted using the RAM style mount shown in sparky's post? If so, it should also work for the Elite 5.
            Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

I started with what was meant to be a temporary cup holder mount for my Elite 4, but I continue to stick with it because it's so convenient. I took a piece of PVC, added a PVC top with an attached RAM mount/arm, and wrapped some foam strips around it which allow for a tight fit inside the cupholder. I left gaps in the foam for water drainage. It's very snug in the cup holder, but even if it managed to pop out, it's of course attached by the cables. The cables come out through the yak from inside the mesh side pockets, which allow the cables to be tucked and stowed during transport and storage. I like how it's so easy to remove the FF together with mount, but at the same time it is a pretty tight fit during use and is in a preferred location.
              temp mount.jpg

That said, I was also thinking what MD Dore suggested.
              Michael
              Washington, DC
              Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                I have an Eagle talon kayak with a lowrance 4x on it. The Kayak has no gear tracks on it. I also have a new elite 5 hdi. I plan to take my kayak to Florida in February and would like to have gps so I don't get lost. I also plan to upgrade my Kayak to a Hobie in spring, so I would like to mount the elite 5 on my Kayak temporarily with as few holes as possible and then switch it to the Hobie. Your thoughts are appreciated.
                I recently came from the Eagle Talon to the Hobie Outback so I know your exact working area... as far as mounting you can mount the monitor/screen on the existing area but you are wanting to avoid drilling.. the only option is to build your water proof battery box and just store it beyond your feet near the front scuppers.. you could zip tie the cables out of the way of your feet... or you could spend the money on a cellblock and have an all in one setup... what is your current transducer setup is it wet or dry?
                2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

My transducer is a dry set up.

Comment

Working...
                  X