Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first trip, the first tautog in 2016 (Jan 9 at CBBT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first trip, the first tautog in 2016 (Jan 9 at CBBT)

I finally made the first trip (kayak fishing) in 2016. I drove 3.25 hours to fish CBBT (Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, VA) for Tautog (blackfish). I brought 5 OZ sinkers because I planned to fish the areas where the current were strong usually.
    I knew I would get skunked easily this time of the year. Though I managed to catch one keeper tautog out of two bites (One was a toadfish) I had for the whole day.
    I will be fishing in cold water (as low as 34F) next 3 months as long as the air temp is above 27 F day time. I hope everyone is safe this winter.

The fishing log:

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I'm just gonna post this here, might give you an option rather that wearing a helmet.lol

http://www.livelivegear.com/hat-moun...ras-s/1824.htm

Comment

Hard core Joe good stuff
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Way to go man!
        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I was thinking about going down yesterday, but changed my mind because the wx forecast looked marginal. That launch looked a bit rough. Anyway, good job on the keeper.

At the end of the video, your paddle was being pulled away...lol.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
            I'm just gonna post this here, might give you an option rather that wearing a helmet.lol

FINALLY!!!

First, Thank you for the info.
            Someone came up with right stuff.
            The first thing I did in the past with a GoPro was put it in a bucket of water. The GoPro sinked fast. Also I had dropped GoPro few time in the beginning. Luckily, I already had been using a kid helmet with Styrofoam.

I know I can find my helmet in 2' wave in few seconds. I don't think I can find my helmet cam in 30 seconds in a 2' wave.

To me, a head cam is better than a rear mounted GoPro for kayak-fishing videos. After watching the video of the manufacturer, I am going to check the reviews for the hat because the quick wearing/taking off the hat, and the quick checking the start and end of vidos on the GoPro on the hat is the selling point of the hat. Does the selling point apply to the kayak-fishermen? The other question is weight - balance. Heaving a GoPro in the forehead, on the top of head make a big difference for kayak fisherman because we wear for a long time. Unlike the strap, The hat has to be even tightly fit. On my helmet, I add more/less padding and more/less weight in the back of the helmet depending on a Gopro here 4 and a Gopro hero 2 mounted. At this point, I think in the choppy water, I will wear a Hard Helmet cam with strap. in calm water, I may wear the hat if the hat fits my needs. I will definitely add a chin strap if the hat doesn't come with a chin strap (Though I used the chin strap only when I had chance to be flipped over)

Joe
            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-10-2016, 02:23 PM.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Joe, so your telling me that you will no longer use the helmet, how are we going to identify you.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                Joe, so your telling me that you will no longer use the helmet, how are we going to identify you.
                I am going to see the reviews first. If I buy, I will cut off the brim of the cap first, leaving about 1.5" of it. Because of the angle of the GoPro/camera, a large brim of cap/helmet won't work with kayak fishing. It's because many actions are happening very close to the kayaker. Also a large brim doe not work for fast speed. Perhaps some people can wear the cap, the brim facing back. I am wondering if the cap is not shaking in 8-15 MPH wind. A shaking/rattling camera is a disaster in making videos. I think the designer is not a fisherman nor is in sports requiring high speed. Perhaps, the designer is a nature/street walker. Or the designer tested the cap by interviewing a person in front of him. The cap floating scene on the manufacturer's video indicates that I may loose the cap in the water with one foot wave, because I my not be able to see the submerged cap. A cap is cheap but not a GoPro or water resistance camera.

SO I will check reviews and ask some reviewer questions before I buy the cap.

Joe

Comment

Way to get out and try, Joe! At least the one you got was keeper size! Anybody else out there trying for tog? Have you had much luck in January in past years?

I tried from shore last weekend (1/2) in Ocean City (too windy & cold for kayak). I was surprised to get a couple shorts and one keeper, plus a toad. But water was in the low to mid-50's then. Now buoy says low 40's. Think I'm done with tog until spring.

And good video as always!
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post

Yeah been following Rex Del Rey for a while. He has some funny and insightful videos. He's taking his creativity to another level.
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      FINALLY!!!

First, Thank you for the info.
                      Someone came up with right stuff.
                      The first thing I did in the past with a GoPro was put it in a bucket of water. The GoPro sinked fast. Also I had dropped GoPro few time in the beginning. Luckily, I already had been using a kid helmet with Styrofoam.

I know I can find my helmet in 2' wave in few seconds. I don't think I can find my helmet cam in 30 seconds in a 2' wave.

To me, a head cam is better than a rear mounted GoPro for kayak-fishing videos. After watching the video of the manufacturer, I am going to check the reviews for the hat because the quick wearing/taking off the hat, and the quick checking the start and end of vidos on the GoPro on the hat is the selling point of the hat. Does the selling point apply to the kayak-fishermen? The other question is weight - balance. Heaving a GoPro in the forehead, on the top of head make a big difference for kayak fisherman because we wear for a long time. Unlike the strap, The hat has to be even tightly fit. On my helmet, I add more/less padding and more/less weight in the back of the helmet depending on a Gopro here 4 and a Gopro hero 2 mounted. At this point, I think in the choppy water, I will wear a Hard Helmet cam with strap. in calm water, I may wear the hat if the hat fits my needs. I will definitely add a chin strap if the hat doesn't come with a chin strap (Though I used the chin strap only when I had chance to be flipped over)

Joe
                      Hey Joe,

Rex seems personable, so I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to him and introduce yourself. Given the number of videos you have he may want to give you a discount or something if you mention his products. Just a thought
                      -Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I am going to see the reviews first. If I buy, I will cut off the brim of the cap first, leaving about 1.5" of it. Because of the angle of the GoPro/camera, a large brim of cap/helmet won't work with kayak fishing. It's because many actions are happening very close to the kayaker. Also a large brim doe not work for fast speed. Perhaps some people can wear the cap, the brim facing back. I am wondering if the cap is not shaking in 8-15 MPH wind. A shaking/rattling camera is a disaster in making videos. I think the designer is not a fisherman nor is in sports requiring high speed. Perhaps, the designer is a nature/street walker. Or the designer tested the cap by interviewing a person in front of him. The cap floating scene on the manufacturer's video indicates that I may loose the cap in the water with one foot wave, because I my not be able to see the submerged cap. A cap is cheap but not a GoPro or water resistance camera.

SO I will check reviews and ask some reviewer questions before I buy the cap.

Joe
                        Keep us updated.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I actually like the looks of the chest mount for a front perspective and you can wear any hat you want. Haven't tried it myself yet, but I like the videos I've seen.
                          2015 Hobie Outback
                          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                            Way to get out and try, Joe! At least the one you got was keeper size! Anybody else out there trying for tog? Have you had much luck in January in past years?

I tried from shore last weekend (1/2) in Ocean City (too windy & cold for kayak). I was surprised to get a couple shorts and one keeper, plus a toad. But water was in the low to mid-50's then. Now buoy says low 40's. Think I'm done with tog until spring.

And good video as always!
                            I caught a keeper on the first weekend in January last year. I got skunked on the following weekend. I thought water temp 46 F is the lowest at CBBT for possible tog. However an avid tog angler told me that he fishes for tog until the water temp reaches 42 F at the same piling I caught January togs.
                            I may try next weekend one more time if the weather permits because Tog is the only species I can keep (and love to cook) this time of the year.

My dinner yesterday:

Joe

Comment

I caught a keeper on the first weekend in January last year. I got skunked on the following weekend. I thought water temp 46 F is the lowest at CBBT for possible tog. However an avid tog angler told me that he fishes for tog until the water temp reaches 42 F at the same piling I caught January togs.
                              I may try next weekend one more time if the weather permits because Tog is the only species I can keep (and love to cook) this time of the year.

My dinner yesterday:

Joe
                              Very nice!!
                              -Mustafa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                              X