1st Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Kayak

I have been looking into buy a fishing kayak for some time now, and was wondering if you guys could help. I have been looking at the Jackson Kayaks Big Rig or Cuda 14. I would like to be able to fish both fresh and salt water with one kayak. Any info or options would be great and thanks. Happy New Year

I was thinking about a Cuda 14, but decided to go all the way and get a Hobie. Tarpon kayaks are pretty popular among paddlers too.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

You can't beat the "peddle" kayaks for being in fresh and salt water. They allow you to fish and navigate at the same time. Once "paddle' guys fish with "peddle' guys, you see an immediate difference. You get to use those leg muscles vs arms, which IMHO is easy to see. The Hobie Outback fits this slot perfectly. Right size and weight. Once you get into the "Big Yaks", the weight and length of moving them around on land and transporting becomes a big issue.

Yak67
      2015 Hobie PA-14
      2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

i personally love Paddling so I've been impressed with the Cuda 14. I have a mid sized truck and move my boat with it fairly easily.
        As for the big rig, it will be slower but it is a real stable platform and better for standing than any of the Hobies except the PA, if that is an option you want...that being said, I think the Ocean Kayak Big GameII is a much better option. Paddling a boat that is 38 inches wide is not a real joy. The big game is only 34, is faster, 20lbs lighter, just as stable, has greater weight capacity and is $400.00 cheaper. It (the big game II) does not have some of the "fanciness" of the Big rig but it does have some awesome features and is well thpught out for fishing both Salt and Fresh.......and you'll have $400 more to spend on rigging it
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Can't pass up an opportunity to sing the praises of the Thresher 140 by Wilderness Systems. I love mine!!
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
            Can't pass up an opportunity to sing the praises of the Thresher 140 by Wilderness Systems. I love mine!!
            Yes..the thresher is the current focus of my covetousness.....what an awesome boat...and i like the 155 too
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Check CL there are a few Cuda's 12 and 14 in Pa forsale- i think around 800-900

Deleware Paddle Sports had a few Tridents for sale- about the same price.

Comment

Working...
              X